Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas Boiler CH

• 02-12-2008 1:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey all, I seem to be having trouble with my gas boiler.

Depending on the amount of time it is off before hand it switches on for a short time from 30 secs to a few mins before it trips out. It does not cause the reset button to trip but the boiler itself stops running and the pilot light goes out.

The pilot light sparks and does actually stay on until the boiler stops and both the pump and the boiler heat up, and the pipes around the boiler heat but it then switches off.

Just guessing, but recently we had a problem with a radiator in the bathroom that wasn't fully heating and i switched off all other radiators and re-bled the bathroom one. This worked, but when i switched all the other radiators on i had one cold radiator in the bedroom, the rest were hot.

Trying to stem the problem, there were valves in the hot press at the immersion tank that were touched. Is it possible that a valve is resrticting water flow out of the pump and boiler causing boiler to overheat?

Any help will be great. I don't mind calling an expert but just in case its something simple, it'll cost a fortune and i will feel like a fool, i'm already that in her eyes.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Hey all, I seem to be having trouble with my gas boiler.

Depending on the amount of time it is off before hand it switches on for a short time from 30 secs to a few mins before it trips out. It does not cause the reset button to trip but the boiler itself stops running and the pilot light goes out.

The pilot light sparks and does actually stay on until the boiler stops and both the pump and the boiler heat up, and the pipes around the boiler heat but it then switches off.

Just guessing, but recently we had a problem with a radiator in the bathroom that wasn't fully heating and i switched off all other radiators and re-bled the bathroom one. This worked, but when i switched all the other radiators on i had one cold radiator in the bedroom, the rest were hot.

Trying to stem the problem, there were valves in the hot press at the immersion tank that were touched. Is it possible that a valve is resrticting water flow out of the pump and boiler causing boiler to overheat?

Any help will be great. I don't mind calling an expert but just in case its something simple, it'll cost a fortune and i will feel like a fool, i'm already that in her eyes.:)

It does sound as if you have a valve somewhere closed when it should be open. I'd suggest the first thing to do is to check any valves in the hot press that are in the pipes to the coil in the cylinder. There will be two pipes entering the cylinder in the side one a little way down from the top and on about a third of the way up from the bottom. There may also be a bypass valve between the two pipes. Now, if there's a valve on the upper pipe then it should be fully open. The valve on the bottom pipe should be closed and then opened a couple of turns or so, and any bypass valve should be closed. Then check all the rads and make sure that all of the inlet valves are open and the outlets (the ones without a turnable cap) are open one or two turns. If the boiler still cuts out, open the bottom valve on the cylinder another turn at a time and see if it stays on. After that all you have to do is rebalance the system using the rad outlet valves;)

Why the pilot light is going out is another matter -- sounds like something is blowing it out. Has that only now started to happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 wifewillkillme

Thanks for the speedy reply, will try those steps thanks and see what gives. I just want to cut out the simple things before i have to ring the experts.

Yes the pilot light goes out as the boiler cuts out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 wifewillkillme

No luck, still cutting out, the pump is humming and the pipe coming out of the pump is hot, there is a reset on the pump itself, it's hardly the pump?

Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

No luck, still cutting out, the pump is humming and the pipe coming out of the pump is hot, there is a reset on the pump itself, it's hardly the pump?

Any ideas?

The pump might be humming but not actually running, and the pipe out of it will get hot through a limited amount of natural circulation. Try a turn on the screw in the centre of the top casing of the pump and see if it then runs. If there's a reset on the pump make sure it's actually set. Could also try a few firm taps with a hammer on the pump casing (but not too hard!!:D).Then I'd suggest checking the upper pipe on the side of the hot water cylinder and see if it gets hot. If it doesn't then either something is closed somewhere when it should be open, or the pump isn't running. Also, as jamem suggested in a similar thread the other day, try turning the pump up to maximum speed setting if it isn't already. Let us know how ye get on.

Advertisement