Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom 3mb to 7mb for extra 3 euro

Options
  • 02-12-2008 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

I was on Eircoms 3mb package (upgraded from 2mb for free in changes) and was getting constant disconnection and crappy download speeds. I was getting sick to the teeth, and decided enough is enough ( the disconnect during a big boss fight in WoW did it for me) and i rang up NTL asking about their packages.

All was set, and the man said he needed to test my line and he would ring me back, i found this odd as i had checked online and it said it was fine.

About 5 minutes later, i received a call from an eircom customer support employee asking " how happy are you with your broadband" now i played dumb, and went along with it.

After telling how **** i thought their service was, i stated " ive had enough and im changing to ntl" to which i got the reply " well i was asked to ring and inform you that we will offer to upgrade your package to 7mb for an extra 3 euro a month" the package would also contain a phone upgrade and free acess to eircom wifi hotspots.

At this point i stopped the shananigans...fully knowing id just had my data protection rights violated...let the guy on the phone know. He didnt seem to bothered about it, more concerned that i signed up for the package deal for a little star on his jacket no doubt.

So basically im sitting here with 7mb pacakge for 3 euro extra a month, and oddly enough, all my mates were doing the same thing, rang ntl to change, got calls from eircom and bang we are all on 7mb. ( Reason for not changing is eircom lines are much more reliable and better for gaming in my experience)

Has anyone else had this happen, or is there a thread here ( had a look but didnt see )

I'm pissed off about the fact my data rights got violated by eircom for marketing ( ntl obviously ring eircom to clear things, since eircom owns the lines i nthe ground)

But im more pissed off, that i only got offered this upon threatening to quit...since i was like one of the first people in this country to get home broadband back when 512k cost me nearly 140 euro a month.

Shocking stuff, but am super happy with my new 7mb...i dont know what the tears are about, I'm getting whopper download speeds, no disconnecting and glorious pings, happy days!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

The 7mb service has had an aweful slating for gamers, the ping will go through the roof soon enough, there have been numerious threads on the matter.

Why would a company that provides BB on their cable sytem ring €ircon to check the line? Two different systems.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

...and glorious pings...
    No your not. I don't even need to see your pings to know your not. And FYI UPC cable is far superior to dsl any day. You should have switched.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

So basically your saying that, you are now paying 3 euro's extra for what should have been a free upgrade

Below is a list of eircoms recent DSL Free upgrades

2Mb - > 3Mb
    3Mb - > 7.6Mb
    4Mb - > 10Mb
    6Mb - > 12Mb

:confused:

http://home.eircom.net/about/press/2008/January/12107837?view=Standard&main=yes

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

slade_x wrote: »
    So basically your saying that, you are now paying 3 euro's extra for what should have been a free upgrade

Below is a list of eircoms recent DSL Free upgrades

2Mb - > 3Mb
    3Mb - > 7.6Mb
    4Mb - > 10Mb
    6Mb - > 12Mb

:confused:

http://home.eircom.net/about/press/2008/January/12107837?view=Standard&main=yes

No hes not saying that - what he does point out is that he has already been upgraded from the 2Mb to the 3Mb.
    I was on Eircoms 3mb package (upgraded from 2mb for free in changes)

Simi wrote: »
    No your not. I don't even need to see your pings to know your not. And FYI UPC cable is far superior to dsl any day. You should have switched.

There are numerous threads on here detailing the lousy service that people are getting from UPC as there are also contributions pointing out that a lot of people are very satisfied with their cable service. The problem is that when you are signing up you dont know which category of customer you are going to end up in.

I think it is bit presumptuous to lecture someone on pings when you do not know what they actually are? Particularly when the op is apparently quite happy with them

• Advertisement

I'm pissed off about the fact my data rights got violated by eircom for marketing ( ntl obviously ring eircom to clear things, since eircom owns the lines i nthe ground)

As posted above NTL/UPC have no reason at all to go near Eicom so your rights were not affected. The last thing NTL would want to do I am sure is inform a competitor that a customer was about to defect.

It seems likely to me that just by chance one of Eircom's marketing drives coincided with your call to NTL. However what would concern me would be if they are offering the 7Mb product to people without any testing of the lines in advance to see if they are suitable for it.

It seems strange that your line was acting up on a lower product but now seems fine on a higher product:confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd suggest you learn about how ADSL and cable works before making such comments, NTL don't use PSTN lines to provide there cable service in anyway

As such you've had no data protection laws broken and thats likely why the eircom employee didn't care less :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

eircom DSL broadband and NTL cable broadband are completely separate entities, nothing to do with each other at all. eircom haven't done anything wrong here, and are perfectly entitled to ring their customers to offer upgrades, etc. The call from eircom after you had been in touch with NTL, is merely a coincidence. Unless of course eircom are monitoring people's phone calls to see when they might be contacting a competitor!!!!11!
    All was set, and the man said he needed to test my line and he would ring me back, i found this odd as i had checked online and it said it was fine.

That is indeed odd, NTL don't need to test lines (or cable), it either works or it doesn't, it's not like DSL over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 LimerickGuy2009

Eircom seem to be putting a push on customers upgrading there BB.
    My dad got a call the other asking if he would like to upgrade for 2Euro extra and they even sent him a new modem. He was on orginally 2mb.....free upgrade to 3mb and 2 euro extra to the 7mb, plus a better deal on some call packages.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Eircom seem to be putting a push on customers upgrading there BB.
    My dad got a call the other asking if he would like to upgrade for 2Euro extra and they even sent him a new modem. He was on orginally 2mb.....free upgrade to 3mb and 2 euro extra to the 7mb, plus a better deal on some call packages.

Nothing strange about this, its normal enough for companys to outbound to exisiting customers to make them new offers, often these offers come with new contracts to which the ISP will obviously like customers to enter into :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

just saying it how it looked lads.

Guy said he needed to go test my line, and i conviently get a phone call asking " how happy are you with broadband" when the previous 2 years i dont get a peep.

A similar thing happend when meteor entered the phone market and offered o2 customers free transfers, O2 monitored anoyne who wanted to switch and then offered them a free upgraded package.

It seems too much for co incidence.

And onto pings etc, my pings have drastically lowered in a number of games. I was pinging at 80 on my counter strike american server i always play on, now im at 50. ( roughly, but a drop of 30 or more)

My download speeds were horrendous, I was lucky to break the 90kb/s mark.

I am no currently getting on average 600-1.1 mb downloads a second which is awesome.

I have to say i was mighty scared to do anything while i was scowering through the threads here the last few months...I was worried about changing and getting worse performance. But I couldnt be happier with my package, nad leads to me to believe that there are in some cases on here, drastic exagerations and alot of jumping on the bandwagon.

I've always been a firm believer that no two pcs will perform the same regarding the internet.

Eircom 7mb package gets the big thumbs up from me , im living in Swords if that helps anyone.

And I use my pc for serious gaming, serious downloading, monster streaming and the obvious stuff.

Couldnt be happier

Advertisement