Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the hell!!!

Options
  • 02-12-2008 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭

:eek:

I've gotten precisely 30 emails as regard something about changing my password, the same thing about 10 times, then some random stuff about a delivery email report that has failed where apparantly I've tried to send an email to about 100 people (all of which seem to have Chinese-esque names)!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Yeah, I just logged on a few minutes ago and found the same thing. Apparently some accounts have been compromised or whatever the word for it is. I sent an email off to the help desk to see what the story is. It's in UCD announcements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭shanegj

same for me and my flatmates

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Me too. Very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

nothing for me.. thats weird enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

i got it too.i was gonna have a word with someone in Tech today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I've been on the receiving end of joke emails, sent to whole classes from Blackboard accounts. Real juvenile stuff, homosexuality, STDs, etc. No hacking skills involved, the way it looks to me, just some people learning hard lessons about basic computer security:
    - Passwords are secret. No exceptions. Never give them to anyone. No IT person will ever ask for your password. (An IT person with authority, to e.g. fix your account, does not need your password.)
    - never leave a machine unlocked while away from it. If it's a Windows (XP / Vista) system, get used to hitting Win+L to lock the screen.
    - always log off, and don't leave the computer until you are sure it has logged you off. If a machine has hung with you logged on, turn it off (hold the power button down).

The number of times I've walked past a PC, in a UCD computer room, logged in with no-one in front of it... :eek:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

Advertisement