Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More long exposures C&C ...

• 02-12-2008 1:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭

Froze my ass off down by the Shelley Banks late this afternoon, bit of fun though.

F3E0985E190D4738ACE122104EBA39A8-800.jpg

30F44A9A319E45BBB4122FA52AFC10CB-800.jpg

8C6FD63851CC4BF2BEB3839B56E08092-800.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭kgiller

Hey Hugh. Nice shots. I like #3 the best, great colour and mood, and i love the reflection.

#2 is cool, looks like a UFo flew past or something, nice effect, and nice colour in the water.

Im not sure about #1, in my view the perspective isnt the best for this shot. It looks more like camera shake than a long exposure because it wasnt long enough to leave a light trail (if u get me), but u captured a nice colour on the water.

Nice work, well done for braving the cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭decimal

Love 3, not crazy about the 1 & 2. How about 1 in B&W?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

I'm loving number 2 :)

number three seems to be the nicest in terms of a normal photo.

1 just doesn't work for me maybe its just the boat hasn't moved that much so it just looks like a bit of a blurthats out of focus.

So if I had to pick overall it'd be 2 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭l pearse

Haven't heard many people call it 'The Shelly Banks' Grew up spending every Summer down there, Only had to come in from Ringsend on the No.1 bus....:D Dog & all...:rolleyes:

Lovin your set Hugh, but the 3rd one is spectacular. Very Very nice.

Linda

Edit;Just heard on the news that they got planning permission for Incinerator at Poolbeg....:mad: What a shame, just another reason to move.....:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

l pearse wrote: »
    Haven't heard many people call it 'The Shelly Banks' Grew up spending every Summer down there, Only had to come in from Ringsend on the No.1 bus....:D Dog & all...:rolleyes:

Lovin your set Hugh, but the 3rd one is spectacular. Very Very nice.

Linda

or as most Ringsend people really call it - the shellyers...

as for C&C, I don't think 1&2 really work - ships aren't really the most exciting vessels to photograph IMO, although the second one is definitely more interesting. I love #3 though, the processing is perfect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭l pearse

That's riigh'sh!!

Have to make it down soon & get some winter shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

decimal wrote: »
    Love 3, not crazy about the 1 & 2.
    Exactly my thoughts!!
    The colours/mood in #3 are really great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

3 is bad ass. I know thats not a technical term but it aptly describes number 3 in my opinion. Colour and tone and comp are all great!

Like other, no. 1 would not be my favourite, nothing really evident in it to imply a long exposure other than the water.

No. 2 has potential. Maybe pulled back with less boat in the frame, more background etc, change the comp of the shot so that the boat is less prominant and a part of a bigger picture rather than the picture itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

#2 for me is a little disappointing as you can't make out any detail of the ship itself. It would have been interesting if you could have (maybe via a second exposure at high iso? obviously flash wouldn't have done much at that distance) captured some detail in the ship as well as the trails. Here's an example which better spells out what I mean:0806132343401_dsc9562.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Well I love number 3 but 1 & 2 dont do it.

The best way to do light trails is so that the lights movement begins before and ends after the picture so there is light going right through the shot otherwise you often end up with the idea that movement hascome to a stop.

This is just my opinion and my preference everyone is different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

#3 is, as everyone has said, just gorgeous, beautiful tones, great PP and nice composition.

I think TJM may have gotten it spot-on in regards to the other two. I think #2 has lost its inherent 'shipness' and #1 has too much, if that makes any sense.

Great idea, though, talk about thinking big!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Thanks for all the feedback people! Much appreciated. I see now why no. 1 is dull, I have a "longer" version of it which might help the motion thing. Might contain more of TJM and Dakar's shipness.

7145E14DDC09439EA4ED3BB6A3E190B0.jpg

I like the 3rd one best myself, although I'd love to be able to figure out how to improve the moon - I probably need to bracket and/or get a more expensive lens!

Thanks again,

Hugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Hugh_C wrote: »
    Thanks for all the feedback people! Much appreciated. I see now why no. 1 is dull, I have a "longer" version of it which might help the motion thing. Might contain more of TJM and Dakar's shipness.

That is a much nicer version alright. To be honest though, i think the issue was simple the way the lights are on the ship. From the angle you had to take it at from the shore and way the ship was pointing the lights from both sides kind of, but not quite, merge into each other, giving is a slight "shaky" look.

Not a lot you could have done about it!

Unless you are Steven Segal.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Yup, this one works better for me! nice one.

Lots more shipness here:D

Advertisement