Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderating in Politics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

This post has been deleted.

It is possible to post a seemingly innocuous post with malicious intentions. People do it all the time as a way of causing trouble without explicitly violating the charter.

Anyway the point is once again, that GY didn't judge the intentions of the poster to be malicious. A large part of that was probably due to the content and the tone of the post itself.

You seem to be grasping at straws for something to get your knickers in a twist over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

*phew* I thought there was a limit!!!
    I hold to my point that you lack the discernment, discretion, and diplomacy to moderate a forum such as Politics. That has been more than evidenced by your comportment in this thread and elsewhere.

I answered the question early on, my first post. Everything after that has been chatter.

Thankfully for me, while welcome, your assertions on my flaws don't count for much except perhaps the bolstering of your postcount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

GuanYin wrote: »

Thankfully for me, while welcome, your assertions on my flaws don't count for much except perhaps the bolstering of your postcount.

It is arrogant enough to think this about what everyone posts, about its flaws and anything and everything else. With this attitude to contributors, should not be moderating.

It is arrogant enough to think this about what everyone posts, about its flaws and anything and everything else. With this attitude to contributors, should not be moderating.

It would be arrogant if I thought that about what everyone posts, but thankfully I don't.

As others will hopefully attest, I do look at the complaint being made and on many occasions changed or reversed the decisions made based on further discussion or evidence.

This is feedback however and it isn't exactly the US Supreme court in terms of quality of argument presented. As such, I take the critique on a case by case basis and I know who I answer to (in this case, directly to my co-mods and the catmod).

Many people who are disgruntled or petty or bitter will put all the blame on someone else. You get alot of people like that in the world, dont you? But then we can't always assume people make rational arguments and jump at their suggestions. If someone were to suggest that, say, you should never be allowed to procreate, you wouldn't be rushing out to tie your tubes now, would you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

2346699537_c78f20b3d6.jpg

Congratulations, you have successfully installed storm 2.3 onto your Teacup. Please restart your teacup now for changes to take effect.

It would be arrogant if I thought that about what everyone posts, but thankfully I don't.

As others will hopefully attest, I do look at the complaint being made and on many occasions changed or reversed the decisions made based on further discussion or evidence.

This is feedback however and it isn't exactly the US Supreme court in terms of quality of argument presented. As such, I take the critique on a case by case basis and I know who I answer to (in this case, directly to my co-mods and the catmod).

Many people who are disgruntled or petty or bitter will put all the blame on someone else. You get alot of people like that in the world, dont you? But then we can't always assume people make rational arguments and jump at their suggestions. If someone were to suggest that, say, you should never be allowed to procreate, you wouldn't be rushing out to tie your tubes now, would you?

Did someone suggest this to you? Are you thinking about it? I have to say, its a pretty bitch comment to make to someone, but even I wouldnt say that even to you, despite thinking it. Can hermaphrodites have this operation?

Your suggestions are not really that rational either though, so you kind of invite those kind of suggestions into your life by setting the example. Maybe you should take up something relaxing so you can feel better about yourself one day. I hear lithuim works for this kind of disorder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

This thread is an embarassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Hagar wrote: »
    This thread is an embarassment.

Indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,707 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Did someone suggest this to you? Are you thinking about it? I have to say, its a pretty bitch comment to make to someone, but even I wouldnt say that even to you, despite thinking it. Can hermaphrodites have this operation?

Your suggestions are not really that rational either though, so you kind of invite those kind of suggestions into your life by setting the example. Maybe you should take up something relaxing so you can feel better about yourself one day. I hear lithuim works for this kind of disorder.

jesus christ. why people resort to actively losing any bit of credibility they might have held by coming out with things like this is beyond me.

Time for this thread to begone perhaps?

• Advertisement

Metro has had beef with the polmods for a while now.

^ No. Just Guanyin. And suggesting I get my tubes tied and thinly trying to pin it on "someone" just shows to what crass level the IT will go to. If it werent for ITs grotesquesness IT would probably be banned for inducement of boredom.

Overheal wrote: »
    Metro has had beef with the polmods for a while now.

I think not getting enough beef may be much of her problem. ;)

You post that and you think I have glory issues?

heh :)

I think not getting enough beef may be much of her problem. ;)
    I have a potassium deficiency :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Overheal wrote: »
    I have a potassium deficiency :(

Will you stop? There is a serious discussion taking place here, and your silly interjections are neither funny or topical.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

IronMan wrote: »
    Will you stop? There is a serious discussion taking place here, and your silly interjections are neither funny or topical.

Backseat modding is fun isn't it?

I can't wait :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Classic feedback thread, someone comes on with a beef and gets chopped up like cold meat through a campaign of subtle or indeed no so subtle mockery and derision, OP responds but is now a bit exasperated and so sounds like he/she is loosing an augument which the OP may not have been looking for, stuff gets thrown around, more come to look and laugh. Other mods or an Admin arrive to back "The Power" and prove you can't beat the system, as the OP looses all self respect and burst into tears at the sheer injustice of it all.

Thread closed, the status quo is restored. Like it was ever going to be challanged!

sparks.jpg

Mike

mike65 wrote: »
    Classic feedback thread, someone comes on with a beef and gets chopped up like cold meat through a campaign of subtle or indeed no so subtle mockery and derision, OP responds but is now a bit exasperated and so sounds like he/she is loosing an augument which the OP may not have been looking for, stuff gets thrown around, more come to look and laugh. Other mods or an Admin arrive to back "The Power" and prove you can't beat the system, as the OP looses all self respect and burst into tears at the sheer injustice of it all.

Thread closed, the status quo is restored. Like it was ever going to be challanged!

sparks.jpg

Mike
    .. and not a single cat posted....

.. and not a single cat posted....

s320x240

But a lot of the posters points is that there Was no blanket banning. There was a warning for not obeying the 3 in thread warning messages. It doesn't matter how good or nice a post is, if its about something thats been explained already and been warned against due to repetition, then its fair enough. Again - only a warning, not even a slap in the wrist, merely a "no punishment for you, just keep an eye on the in thread warnings"

Some people moved on from that to suggest ways in which these in thread warnings could be more easily accessible, which i believe would solve your gripes (bar your general dislike of the mod in question), so maybe hop on board with that?

To start with in forums like politics and humanities, mods should not be engaging in the same debate they are moderating, its far too confusing. I had often, and wrongly assumed that if they were involved in the debate that they took of their moderator hats temporarily.

To start with in forums like politics and humanities, mods should not be engaging in the same debate they are moderating, its far too confusing. I had often, and wrongly assumed that if they were involved in the debate that they took of their moderator hats temporarily.

What has this got to do with anything?

I wasn't engaged in the debate on this issue (well, not for about 250 posts). 5 of my 8 posts in the thread were warnings or notification on bannings.

You should really stick to commenting about threads you're not banned from participating in :)

This is not about the thread, but the larger issue of your ineptitude, although it has recently occureed to me that you may still be under the legal age limit to drink and possibly even vote, and if this is the case maybe you should be cut some slack but you should not be moderating politics.

This is not about the thread, but the larger issue of your ineptitude, although it has recently occureed to me that you may still be under the legal age limit to drink and possibly even vote, and if this is the case maybe you should be cut some slack but you should not be moderating politics.
    20070902-Facepalm1.jpg

• Advertisement

That is me told!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement