Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

320GB WD SCORPIO only registering same size as old HD no matter what I do

Options
  • 02-12-2008 2:51am

I bought a 320gb wd HD and I decided to clone it from my own HD which is a 60GB hd /Inspiron 9400 2 yrs old

I cloned using Acronis true image 2009 and it took a day as I was using the HD on a usb caddie but the drive didn't boot up after that and it was only registering same as old HD no matter how i formatted it or deleted the partition
    I did it again and it was a perfect clone and made a D drive of the 5gb excess but still only amounted to 54.5 and excess was 5GB which was turned into a D drive (its unpartitioned space on the original disk)

I have Acronis disk director that I used for this also and I updated the BIOS
    I used the WD tools and I wrote zero's to the drive and I have also tried to use vista disk manager to resize with the usb caddie

I'm not too sure what tools to use in ultimate boot CD and gparted when I burn the iso to a disc doesnt boot for me the drive still see's the same size as previous HD
    Can someone offer advise? Please

Comments

Can i get this moved to Building & Upgrading

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Sounds like your partitioning a portion the new new disk to the same size as the old one. Since I've never used True Image before, I don't know how to avoid that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

It sounds like the USB caddy is causing the issue.

Try using GParted it's a lot better and does everything via a livecd so you can move all your data around faster.

This is an ISO which dual boots both GParted {Used to create, move, resize, etc partitions} and CloneZilla {That will let you clone your original disc to either a backup file locally or over the network or to another drive}

http://download.tuxfamily.org/gpartedclonz/gparted-clonezilla-2.3.iso

Edit:

Just remember to backup the data first.

"There are two type of people in the world: Ones who do backup and ones who have never deleted the wrong partition."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

moving thread

I'm in gparted and its not giving me the option to resize

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

What system are you using the new drive in, linux or windows?
    Is this a boot drive you're cloning?
    Do you still have access to both HD's?
    My guess is the 320 gig drive is your new pc's main drive, right? (or it will be). And the 60 gig is the one you want to clone the data from?
    If that's the case, all you want to do is set up your new machine, leave your 320 gig drive formatted, then create a 60 gig partition. Once that's done, clone the old drive to the partition, not to the whole drive.
    What I would do is crack open the case, connect both drives internally (if you're using linux you've got some spare cables somwhere, what with being an ultranerd right?),Then use something like Partition Magic to set the new logical drive, and then do the clone.

Acronis disk director does more or less the same as partition manager
    Im using it in windows xp
    I successfully cloned it before and it created a D drive excess the rest of the 60 GB HD and it still couldn’t be worked around

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Some ppl with similiar probs

http://forums.seagate.com/stx/board/message?board.id=ata_drives&message.id=3496

Also here there's a doc but you have to register to download it..some helpful chap put it together after he had the same problem..this is the more promising one i'd say for you

http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-support/hard-drive-support/244756-ultimate-cure-your-clipped-hard-drive.html

best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Acronis disk director does more or less the same as partition manager
    Im using it in windows xp
    I successfully cloned it before and it created a D drive excess the rest of the 60 GB HD and it still couldn’t be worked around

Question:
    Are you cloning the old HD to a *blank* new 320 gig drive?
    or
    You have a c: drive (your Windows XP system) on the 320 gig and are creating a new partition *as part of* the cloning process?

Essentially it seems like what's happening is that when you're doing a clone, you are telling your BIOS that the 320 gig drive is now a 60 gig drive, and your system is taking your word for it, thereby forgetting about the extra space.

I'd try partitioning the 320 gig drive to 3 sections [c:\Windows XP], [d:\60GIGS], [e:\Whatever's left] *first* and then connect up the new drive to copy the partition, using either Acronis or Partition Magic. PM will do the partitioning and the copying for you, I don't know about Acronis. It shouldn't be necessary to *clone* the disk - that's creating an exact physical copy of the disk structure as well as the data. Unless you're running a raid there's no reason to do that, so treating the 60 gig as a partition will be fine - even if it's a boot drive, you can edit your boot manager to pick up [d:\] as a boot drive.

Edit: If the old drive is NOT a boot drive, you don't need to clone it at all. You don't even need a partition the same size. Just create a partition for the free space on the new drive, and copy the files in windows. If it's a Linux formatted drive, then all you need is a set of drivers for ext3/2 (or whatever system your drive uses)
    (see below for links to drivers)
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2184975&postcount=2
    NB: mounting the old Linux Drive in Windows like this generates Drive letters, which if you're not careful can become "ghosts". In my experience, installing the drivers and doing the file copy was easy. Uninstalling and making sure the drive letters were gone was potentially a pain in the ass (had a ghost H: drive for ages). PM is far less likely to go wrong.

Advertisement