Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travelling, customs and duties...

• 02-12-2008 6:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭

Wondering if anyone can enlighten me as to the procedure here (may not be purely legal).

I never really got the duties and customs bit in Dublin airport - is there a certain magical number we have to have bought before we need to declare to customs and pay tax on goods bought abroad? (I'm speaking for the case of the private individual, not a business and the goods are being carried by the person, not shipped). I remember hearing something about a tax-free travel/holiday allowance.

Common sense tells me that the 3 dollar bag of sweets is probably okay for not being taxed and that a 4 million dollar Ming vase may need different procedures. But what specifically is the rule?

And when one applies for tax-free shopping (refunds etc.) in the foreign country, does this mean that once we come back to Ireland we pay Irish VAT on the good? (I'm assuming so...)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Revenue.ie is a great site for this stuff.
    From outside the EU - "You are allowed to bring in goods (including gifts, souvenirs, perfume and clothing) free of duty, the combined value of which does not exceed: €430 in the case of an individual"
    http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/leaflets/pn1878a.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Yes, I had looked on that site - seems like I went onto a different page instead (that talked about how much alcohol, cigarettes etc. you can bring in duty free).

Does this mean that if I get a computer for say 300 euro in the US I can get the state tax (VAT) back and not have to pay VAT when I return to Ireland?

Also, what is the law in relation to a "foreign good"? A buys a laptop 1 week before leaving... different to A buying the laptop in the US and returning to Ireland in a year's time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

the EU changed the rules this week ( or announced the rules will change)

there was a "nominal" good of 22 euros. this limit has gone up to (I think) 430 euros. I think you pay VAT but no duty on goods below the limit.

Looked at the revenue link, seems bang up to date with the new limits and vat rate

Advertisement