Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Water

Options
  • 02-12-2008 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

I am living in an apartment and am having serious problems with my hot water going cold very quickly. Landlord doesn't want to know.

The tank is a modern, well insulated tank probably 200l-300l (not sure). The heating is electric i.e. central heating and the immersion. The water tank is in the hall near the front door and there is a small plastic outflow pip beside the front door that constantly (24 hours a day) drips water to the outside of the apartment.

When I set the immersion, the water heats up - no problem. But, after a few minutes, it regularly goes down to lukewarm and then to cold. I have also noticed that at times there can be a lot of water flowing (not dripping) from the outflow pipe.

Apart from the discomfort, this costs a fortune in electrictity. My only guess is that somehow, when the water heats up and expands, it flows out the outflow pipe and then is replaced by cold water and quickly the tank just goes cold.

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

It's really up to your landlord to resolve this. Write to him formally requesting the issue is sorted out. Give him a time frame to do so - say 2 weeks. Explain that if he cannot resolve it by then you will be obliged to call in a plumber and will be passing the bill to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Definetly up to the landlord .

Sometimes tenants pay and hand the invoice to the landlord ,
    demand it fixed or you will ring someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

311 wrote: »
    Definetly up to the landlord .

Sometimes tenants pay and hand the invoice to the landlord ,
    demand it fixed or you will ring someone.

OK, thanks for that. I know I can get a plumber in and deduct it from the rent, but to be honest I just wanted to see if I can fix this myself easily. Any ideas what is causing it and is there an easy fix?

Sounds a bit strange to be honest.

You say it heats up but goes cold quickly ,in order to have enough expansion to drip at the overflow ,the water would need to be very very hot.

You might just have two minor problems ,one the ballcock is passing in the tank and also one of the two immersions is not working (only heating the top section of the cylinder).

It's hard to say without seeing it ,might be just something really simple.

Things like this are covered in your rent though ,trust me I do calls like this all the time. I wouldn't necessarily take it out of the rent though ,let the landlord decide first.

Sounds a bit strange to be honest.

You say it heats up but goes cold quickly ,in order to have enough expansion to drip at the overflow ,the water would need to be very very hot.

You might just have two minor problems ,one the ballcock is passing in the tank and also one of the two immersions is not working (only heating the top section of the cylinder).

Thanks. Yes it heats up and if I have a shower when the immersion has been just on, the water is piping hot. But it cools down very very quickly after the immersion goes off - sometimes within ten minutes?

The outflow pipe drips constantly and sometimes there is an actual flow of water from it.

How do I check the ballcock? Where would it be in relation to the tank? I presume the immersion does work, because I have been able to have hot baths as well, so long as I have them just after the immersion has been on. If I can solve this myself easily without going back to the landlord (who never answers calls) that would be great.

• Advertisement

Things like this are covered in your rent though ,trust me I do calls like this all the time.

You're not based in Cork by any chance, are you?

Nah ,but most companies that advertise in the golden pages work the same way.:)

Advertisement