Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

visa v mastercard

Options
  • 02-12-2008 9:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

hey

i need to get myself a cc.does it make much difference which one i get. or what would people advise? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've had VISA all my life and it never let me down. Used it all over the world.
    There is supposed to be some travel insurance too when you use it to buy flights. But ask your bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

hey

i need to get myself a cc.does it make much difference which one i get. or what would people advise? thanks

You would be very very unlucky to find a place that does not take both. BOI do a dual CC if that interests you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

hey

No real difference any more.

For some events (World Cup) Mastercard had the book sewup and one had to use Mastercard, i think Visa have the next one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

If you like a flutter you can't get winnings paid back to a mastercard, never understood why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

There was a difference up to the early 1990s, where some countries only took visa, some only Access ...no such problems reported these days-

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

I've found Mastercard more commonly accepted in SE Asia. Also, you get a more credit with Mastercard.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

neteller don't accept mastercard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

mastercard is usad more by the bofi but i will be moveing soon

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

Rather than looking at Visa v Mastercard, one should look at the providers. Will you always pay off before due date ? Look at APRs offered by the companies. MBNA offer cheques with their cards which can be handy but remember if there is no money in your account you will pay interest on the funds. If you miss minimum payments or default, MBNA fees can be high. Halifax have good rates at the moment. Far easier to change credit card providers than previous. Ideally try and pay off credit card bills in full or make sure that you get introductory offer or low rate. Be careful though with introductory rates as you may end up paying interest on money advances.

Advertisement