Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia announce N97- first N series TS phone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Basically an N78 with a keyboard and bigger screen.
    That DVD quality remark is horse crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/02/nokia-unveils-flagship-n97-phone/

Looks impressive on paper, what does everyone else think?

Exactly what you said, looks good on paper, dont know if it will run ok. 20GB is alot though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Biro wrote: »

This is nothing like the n78.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Biro wrote: »

Looks to me more like an N96 with touchscreen. And a different operating system and a full keyboard...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

It looks as if Nokia waited to see what the other manufacturers offered and just merged two devices together; mainly the Apple iPhone and the Sony Ericsson X1. They have increased the camera’s resolution, in comparison to the aforementioned handsets, so that is a plus, however, the keyboard is a 3 row affair, so I don’t envy anyone looking to type on the handset from the looks of it.

It will be very interesting to see what it can do once there is more info about its usability, operating speed etc. I love though how Nokia mention their handsets are capable of "DVD quality" video recording, when really they record video at 640x480! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

I like it.....it would tempt me over an iPhone anyway. But the big iPhone plus is the app store I think.....if Symbian made apps more accessible through a similar app store, they'd take some beating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

AlanD wrote: »
    I like it.....it would tempt me over an iPhone anyway. But the big iPhone plus is the app store I think.....if Symbian made apps more accessible through a similar app store, they'd take some beating.

And have all apps controlled by one dubious entity? What's so great about that? How hard is it to visit 2 or 3 sites to check on new apps?
    Ah well....
    Iphone rules, yay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

it's all about convenience really for me.

If symbian were more organised and appeared to be more accessible, then it would do a lot for their business. Apple's app store hasn't exploded in popularity for no reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

AlanD wrote: »
    it's all about convenience really for me.

If symbian were more organised and appeared to be more accessible, then it would do a lot for their business. Apple's app store hasn't exploded in popularity for no reason.

It's not like Apple give you a choice, but I understand your point.

I'm not too convinced about the need for an app-store either. There are plenty of excellent apps out there, you just have to look. It's not like the lack of an app-store hurt windows or mac osx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭turly

Rsaeire wrote: »
    I love though how Nokia mention their handsets are capable of "DVD quality" video recording, when really they record video at 640x480! :D

An NTSC DVD is 720x480 25fps interlaced. The 640x480 Nokia is 30 fps non-interlaced. So they're not far off in their claims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Why did they leave out a Xenon flash?.... Thats just annoying.

turly wrote: »
    An NTSC DVD is 720x480 25fps interlaced. The 640x480 Nokia is 30 fps non-interlaced. So they're not far off in their claims.

As you've stated, there is a difference. It just smacks of false advertising. Once you factor in the PAL DVD resolution of 720x576, you soon realise that Nokia's "DVD quality" statement is moving further and further from the truth.

I won't comment too much on interlaced and progressive content, since interlaced material can be deinterlaced and the result practically identical to progressive content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,767 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I'm not too convinced about the need for an app-store either. There are plenty of excellent apps out there, you just have to look. It's not like the lack of an app-store hurt windows or mac osx.

99% of software works on windows, so it's not hard to look for. Mac generally come with what's needed (browser + email).

Symbian needs specially coded apps designed for it, and it has a small user base, a central place to find all these would be a huge boon to Symbian.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Does anyone else find it funny that in the two videos for the N97 from Nokia neither actually show a phone call being made? Or maybe there was an I missed it. I'm assuming there is a touch screen keypad for making calls. If not, the keyboard only has numbers as a second function across the top row of the keyboard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Don't like the look of that keyboard and the sharing letter keys with apostrophes and commas etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭djbriandowling

ok firstly have to say this to iphone owners who are under the apple illussion that there phone is the best in the world. slap yourself in the face or through water at yourself or something. please please please do the simplist thing like bluethooth a photo from your great camera (not) to another phone. nearly any cheap mobile phone can do this. i worked in a phone shop for a while and had so many people walking out the door with there god like iphone and come back the same day as it, after they tried to bluetoot a photo or coply/past a bit of txt along with other problems. oh thats right the big advertisment that apple ran and said there phone does email.. wow, i've been using email on my phone for years. your so locked down with your iphone and apple are laughing at you all the way to the bank

now onto the subject at hand, the nokia touch screen god that is the n97, wow is all i can say at the spec. some people say that its to big well i say how could you put so much stuff into it and make it smaller, i love the size. my only problem is they announce it now but we have to wait 6 months to get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

yap still no iphone

Rsaeire wrote: »
    As you've stated, there is a difference. It just smacks of false advertising.

Spare me. As opposed to all that non-false advertising? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

I agree.
    But i suppose it depends on the type of person IMO.
    Many power users will just search a couple of websites to get all the apps they need and not be TOO bothered i'd say.

But i don't think of iphone users as the typical nerdy power user. Again it's about ease of use, style and convenience versus necessarily having every app under the sun on their device.

So in one way, the convenience is admittedly cool.
    Depends on the user.
    Incidentally WM do that handango inhand thing- not great admittedly but still.

the past present and future is nokia

iphone users go on try this, wire its tv cable into your cars radio and flip down sunviser screen and use a bluetooth keyboard on your lap to controll your phone, listen to music, surf the net and watch films on the screen. oh thats right you cant, the original nokia n95 can!! i have it done the new touch enabled nokia (midrange) 5800 can do it and so will this new flagship n97. i hate iphones and people who think thay have the best phone or as the t-short/ poster says isheep!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

It looks great to me, at last a proper replacement for the N95 - it's what the N96 should have been in the first place and I frankly don't know why they've bothered with that trash. I've yet to find any info as to whether this has got a fast cpu and if it keeps the 3d chip of the N95, but if it does I'll have one, oooh yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Nice.
    Looks a bit like a Kaiser/Omnia hybrid.
    There's a fair amount of (undeserved?) hate though for the poor oul' iphone from one or two of those engadget posters.
    "itards"- made me laugh.

Edit: The music on the first video is pretty cool. Anyone know what it is.
    Edit 2: 550 euro is a decent enough price for a phone like this as well tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

the past present and future is nokia

iphone users go on try this, wire its tv cable into your cars radio and flip down sunviser screen and use a bluetooth keyboard on your lap to controll your phone, listen to music, surf the net and watch films on the screen. oh thats right you cant, the original nokia n95 can!! i have it done the new touch enabled nokia (midrange) 5800 can do it and so will this new flagship n97. i hate iphones and people who think thay have the best phone or as the t-short/ poster says isheep!!

Thats assuming that you'd want to watch TV in your car, thru your phone, on your sun visor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

i had a nokia n 70 73 81 95 and thay are all s.hit now got a iphone not one thing wrong yet all my nokia brock after 2 manths

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

xbox36016 wrote: »
    i had a nokia n 70 73 81 95 and thay are all s.hit now got a iphone not one thing wrong yet all my nokia brock after 2 manths

:eek: how you afford all them?

metalfest wrote: »
    xbox36016 wrote:
    :eek: how you afford all them?

He sold the comma and shift keys on his keyboard. And his spell-checker. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

:D:D:Dhahahahahaha:P:P:P:P

still no isheep users able to comment back on my comment that the iphone cant do basic stuff. middle of the road phones can do so much stuff we all take for granted like full bluetooth use sending music and photos. a friend of mine working in a carphone warehouse store went to this big lecture on the store iphone opening and after listing to the people rant and rave about how great the iphone is they asked everyone if there was anyone who didnt like the phone do they wanna speak.. so my friend put up his hand and spoke for about 5 minutes solid on all the iphone cant do compared to mid rangs phone especially nokias.. the lectures and speakers for the iphone were stunned to actually find out stuff they didnt know or didnt want to say,, they had no reply or defence. bottom line the iphone just has a nice touch interface thats it, when it comes to functionality it fails compared to phones like nseries nokias, how could iphone users say they have the best smart phone, come on like wake up... 2mp camera with no flash and no video, i just paid 60euro for a nokia 6300 for my mum that has the same spec camera but can actually take video,
    just look at the n97spec look at what it has under the lid look at its potential with the addition of some great apps like garmin xt mobile and office software its 5 deferent ways of txt input and yes iphone users it can copy and past like every other phone except yours, that would annoy the hell out of me sorry, 5mp camera with video at 30frames per sec iphones cant even do video!! my mums new phone can do video!! add to a possible 48gb of possible storage. touch screen is just the icing on the cake for this n97. its video output through the supplied tv cabble are endless!! please iphone users tell me something worth while that this nokia n97 or nearly my mums 6300 that your phone is better at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

still no isheep users able to comment back on my comment that the iphone cant do basic stuff. middle of the road phones can do so much stuff we all take for granted like full bluetooth use sending music and photos. a friend of mine working in a carphone warehouse store went to this big lecture on the store iphone opening and after listing to the people rant and rave about how great the iphone is they asked everyone if there was anyone who didnt like the phone do they wanna speak.. so my friend put up his hand and spoke for about 5 minutes solid on all the iphone cant do compared to mid rangs phone especially nokias.. the lectures and speakers for the iphone were stunned to actually find out stuff they didnt know or didnt want to say,, they had no reply or defence. bottom line the iphone just has a nice touch interface thats it, when it comes to functionality it fails compared to phones like nseries nokias, how could iphone users say they have the best smart phone, come on like wake up... 2mp camera with no flash and no video, i just paid 60euro for a nokia 6300 for my mum that has the same spec camera but can actually take video,
    just look at the n97spec look at what it has under the lid look at its potential with the addition of some great apps like garmin xt mobile and office software its 5 deferent ways of txt input and yes iphone users it can copy and past like every other phone except yours, that would annoy the hell out of me sorry, 5mp camera with video at 30frames per sec iphones cant even do video!! my mums new phone can do video!! add to a possible 48gb of possible storage. touch screen is just the icing on the cake for this n97. its video output through the supplied tv cabble are endless!! please iphone users tell me something worth while that this nokia n97 or nearly my mums 6300 that your phone is better at

Why do you feel it has to be a game of mines better than yours?

• Advertisement

I am not one to needlessly bash a handset that has enough against it, so I will not mention the iPhone. What I will mention, however, is the Sony Ericsson X1. As it would be the nearest handset, in my opinion, to the N97, any comparisons to existing handsets should be made between the two.

My personal opinion is that the X1 offers more than the N97 and Nokia, with a handset that will not be released for approximately 6 months, will be left trying to sell an outdated handset that's only superlative feature is its 5MP camer; which will most likely be superseded by another manufacturer's offering before the N97 is even available.

Advertisement