Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia announce N97- first N series TS phone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

quintron wrote: »
    I love my ipod touch. Best of both is N96 with joikuspot loaded and the touch. See everyone can be happy ;)
    If you ask me the N97 just makes the 5800 look even more appealing on a price ratio at least. As we won't see this for about 6 months sim-free, possibly longer to get to carriers, many will opt for the 5800 mid feb/march and then I'd like to see what happens....
    Will they wait for the N97 or buy the 5800 and leave the N97 in its wake? The N97 will need to be heavily promoted by carriers when it comes out to establish N series dominance.
    What annoys me about Nokia and other companies marketing strageties is that they announce something that is often 6+ months away. Theres a big "I want!" factor but no purchase option. Thats annoying.
    At least when Steve Job's spouts his RDF key notes you can buy the latest shiny apple thing within a week usually and often later that day. That has to shift units.
    Xperia anyone?? (was announced nearly 1 year ago!!! - a lot of people have moved on since then and some companies (apple) appear to have moved mountains in that period.

RDF keynotes :D
    Love the way you got that in there- true though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭djbriandowling

i had to come on first after reading a few comments comparing the iphone to this beast of a phone, i kinda ran away with myself. but i trully believe that that people are wrong when they say the iphone is a smartphone when it really isnt

the iphone is really just pretty and thats it. when it comes to function with just about everything possilbe the nokia n95, n96 and now the n97 are when some other poster said a swizz army knife of phones.

someone said its wrong to compare the n97 to the iphone and that correct because of all the funtions. i like the post that one fella told how he uses all the functions in his phone just like myself. one person commented why would someone want to use tv out into a sunviser screen and my answer is this, sitting waiting for something like take away i can watch short films and while driving i can have garmin xt mobile in the sunviser screen which i use nearly everyday.

but we cant get away from the fact. people is compare the n097 to the iphone simply because it has touch screen. the iphone might do this very well but thats where it ends becuase nokia nserieus phones do everything else so much better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

thanks to a few who defended me and what i said about the iphone. i have to stop before i get carried away on that piece of **** phone or so call smart phone,

paragraph 2, Still really looking forward to more info on the n97

Don't think the iphone ever purported to be a smartphone tbh.
    IIRC I think it's categorised as a feature phone.
    Even though if any iphone users were deluded enough to call it a smartphone, that would admittedly be annoying.

exatly,

its really the users of the iphone who claim its the best phone out there when im sorry your wrong

actually iphone makers and promoters did come out saying stuff like make and recieve email on the move and it was every isheep went wow oh my god i have to get one of these because it has an i at the start of its name.

fact is email has been used on phones years before the iphone came out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

Rsaeire wrote: »
    quintron, MackDeToaster - From reading through your posts it is clear you both thoroughly enjoy Symbian handsets, and look forward to the N97.
    MackDeToaster - I'm surprised that you have that much time to use all the features on your N95 as even if I had one, I wouldn't use half of the features you mentioned.

The features just happen to tally with my circumstances, if I changed job tomorrow I might have no need for half of them and be better off with a normal 'dumbphone'.
    I hope you don't think I'm a fanboy, I could easily go on a rant on Nokia's faults, of which there are many, but I'm simply being pragmatic - the N95 is what works best for me right now and the N97 could well be it's replacement.

On the subject of the IPhone, I haven't knocked it and in fact I think it's fine in doing what it does, making calls, surfing the web, playing games and music. In fact, as a hardware and s/w platform I think the design is fantastic and it has incredible potential, but of course nothing is ever perfect; in this case other factors come into play, notably Apple's attitude, from simple stuff such as fitting non-replaceable batteries to how they lock it down and trickle release features that could/should be standard in order to generate ongoing revenue.

I've no problems with those who do think the IPhone is marvellous, if the phone does the job they want and they've no problems with Apples philosophy then for them it IS marvellous. It's all relative. But if somebody starts claiming it's the best thing ever I'll just laugh, there's no such thing as perfect and most of the features I personally require are completely absent from it. Heck, if I tried to explain to my parents how useful the wifi hotspot feature could be they'd look at me like I'm a two-headed hydra and laugh too.
    At the end of the day these are all just tools to get the job done. It'd be just as futile and inane to go around knocking cars, tv's, fridges or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

quintron - The iTouch sounds like a great handset, like the iPhone, but I cannot bear to use a completely touchscreen handset, as the fingerprints would infuriate me no end. Each to their own, as they say, as friends of mine swear by the iPhone. I personally need a slide-out keyboard to compliment a touchscreen, plus a few additional directional buttons; I'm sure you can see now why I chose the X1 as my next handset.

Coming from a die hard E90 user, I thought that using the iPod touch sans hardware keys would be a major pain in the ass.
    In reality, I don't miss the buttons which came as a shock to me, being inherently sceptical and all... but it’s not a phone and I don't have to do sms on it etc.
    As an e-reader or powerful mobile music studio though.. nothing can compare to it for me in a handheld. The OS has really brought out the finesse and creative side in developers where front end is equally as important as app “grunt”.
    For example, as someone who e-reads a lot, I wanted, for years, an app that would emulate page turns smoothly and realistically on a handheld to make for a more “book” like reading experience. Now there are two apps. Classics and Stanza. One of them is free.
    Before you all think I’m an apple devotee or anything. Please. I’ll take whatever OS gives me the most versatility and unfortunately there is no “one” OS yet that does it.
    Ideally, based on my experiences, it would be front end apple and back end Symbian with zero lock downs or proprietary tethering. But that’s not available and that’s why we debate these OS’s!
    Owning something like the iPod touch made me realise that, above anything else, we need smaller overall form factors and bigger screens. Paradoxical in a way but that’s what I want.
    Looking towards flex e-ink displays etc as the ultimate but that’s a long way from mass market!
    The input on the apple OS is not too bad if I'm honest. Its down to their error correction algorithms which I have to admit are quite good.
    I know that, currently, S60 5th edition does not have this so I expect tapping out messages onscreen could be annoying or "quirky" (to euphemise) by contrast.
    This is where the N97's slide out keyboard negates that problem, so you have quite a lot of options for text input on the device thereby making it an attractive proposition for many.

And to the fingerprints, not as bad as I thought. This is helped enormously by the capacitive screen though and my experience with resistive touch screen handsets (various HTC devices of old) has been that they are fingerprint magnets/mirrors.

I have to admit also to using my trusty Think Outside BT keyboard with my N95/8 also and find it all but replaces a laptop for me when I'm on the go and need to edit stuff etc.

Another long post. I should really get out more.. :rolleyes: :D
    It'd be just as futile and inane to go around knocking cars, tv's, fridges or whatever.

You do know though, that the icars and the ifridges are at least “5 years” ahead of what’s currently on the market! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 paulgreene

hope it will have a better battery than the N95, <1 day for me at the moment
    got tons of great things, but you cannot use them because of the battery :mad:

im seeing a few posts on other places knocking the way the n97 uses touch compared to the iphone

i really had to laugh with one guy saying he did a test with his iphone mate outside in the freezing cold with there gloves on.

he asked his mate to keep his gloves on and use his iphone to call him. of course he couldnt use the phone while his gloves were on. the phone needs direct skin contact to work. well had to laugh but then again its a good point to think about. i feel that nokia made a good choice making there touch screen usable with stylus or finger or what ever else thats suitable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

im seeing a few posts on other places knocking the way the n97 uses touch compared to the iphone

i really had to laugh with one guy saying he did a test with his iphone mate outside in the freezing cold with there gloves on.

he asked his mate to keep his gloves on and use his iphone to call him. of course he couldnt use the phone while his gloves were on. the phone needs direct skin contact to work. well had to laugh but then again its a good point to think about. i feel that nokia made a good choice making there touch screen usable with stylus or finger or what ever else thats suitable

I find it funny that you spend most of you time, in a thread about Nokias, talking about the iPhone.

• Advertisement

its because then n97 as the flagship Nseries will have a touchscreen and it will always be compared to the iphone.

but N and Eseries nokias will always be in a league of there own when it comes to funtions and quality and number of solid uses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

its because then n97 as the flagship Nseries will have a touchscreen and it will always be compared to the iphone.

but N and Eseries nokias will always be in a league of there own when it comes to funtions and quality and number of solid uses

I would disagree with that statement as generally E & N series handsets have a lot of competition from other manufacturers such as Samsung, Sony Ericsson, Apple, HTC, to name but a few, so it's not as if they're in a league of their own.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

still no isheep users able to comment back on my comment that the iphone cant do basic stuff. middle of the road phones can do so much stuff we all take for granted like full bluetooth use sending music and photos. a friend of mine working in a carphone warehouse store went to this big lecture on the store iphone opening and after listing to the people rant and rave about how great the iphone is they asked everyone if there was anyone who didnt like the phone do they wanna speak.. so my friend put up his hand and spoke for about 5 minutes solid on all the iphone cant do compared to mid rangs phone especially nokias.. the lectures and speakers for the iphone were stunned to actually find out stuff they didnt know or didnt want to say,, they had no reply or defence. bottom line the iphone just has a nice touch interface thats it, when it comes to functionality it fails compared to phones like nseries nokias, how could iphone users say they have the best smart phone, come on like wake up... 2mp camera with no flash and no video, i just paid 60euro for a nokia 6300 for my mum that has the same spec camera but can actually take video,
    just look at the n97spec look at what it has under the lid look at its potential with the addition of some great apps like garmin xt mobile and office software its 5 deferent ways of txt input and yes iphone users it can copy and past like every other phone except yours, that would annoy the hell out of me sorry, 5mp camera with video at 30frames per sec iphones cant even do video!! my mums new phone can do video!! add to a possible 48gb of possible storage. touch screen is just the icing on the cake for this n97. its video output through the supplied tv cabble are endless!! please iphone users tell me something worth while that this nokia n97 or nearly my mums 6300 that your phone is better at

Please learn to type legibly before posting ! Your posts look like the ramblings of a jealous child .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

sharkman wrote: »
    Please learn to type legibly before posting ! Your posts look like the ramblings of a jealous child .

And that is a daft comment; even for a mod. It's no beauty contest, no spelling bee, and not the Irish times. And what are you criticising? The content (jealous child) or the style (legibly)? Does your admonition mean that people who post in a rush, from a phone, or people who use English as a second language better stay away from this forum? Well, thanks then.

can you post a link to the boards style guide - I'd hate to ever offend your superficiality ;)

quintron wrote: »
    Coming from a die hard E90 user, I thought that using the iPod touch sans hardware keys would be a major pain in the ass.
    In reality, I don't miss the buttons which came as a shock to me, being inherently sceptical and all... but it’s not a phone and I don't have to do sms on it etc.
    With regard to your use, I wouldn't find the iTouch hard to use either, as a pure portable music player, but once the phone aspects are factored in, like the iPhone, this is when it starts getting awkward for me.

I don't think I will ever get used to the idea of touching a screen all day to navigate through menus on a phone, as fingerprints irritate the hell out of me; a keyboard and actual buttons are a must.

I would pick the N97 over a purely touchscreeen handset, if given the choice right now, but I would still choose the X1 over any other handset currently available, including the N97. To me, it simply offers more of what I require in a handset.

strecker wrote: »
    And that is a daft comment; even for a mod. It's no beauty contest, no spelling bee, and not the Irish times. And what are you criticising? The content (jealous child) or the style (legibly)? Does your admonition mean that people who post in a rush, from a phone, or people who use English as a second language better stay away from this forum? Well, thanks then.

can you post a link to the boards style guide - I'd hate to ever offend your superficiality ;)

To be honest, and disregarding grammar and punctuation for a moment, spelling and the use of paragraphs helps everybody using these forums to better understand and appreciate a user's point of view.

I am also sure everyone here can understand and appreciate that English may not be the first language of a lot of users on Boards.ie, but selecting enter/return, or whatever other key used on a user's device of choice, isn't too much to ask to break up a block of text.

To be honest, and disregarding grammar and punctuation for a moment, spelling and the use of paragraphs helps everybody using these forums to better understand and appreciate a user's point of view.

I am also sure everyone here can understand and appreciate that English may not be the first language of a lot of users on Boards.ie, but selecting enter/return, or whatever other key used on a user's device of choice, isn't too much to ask to break up a block of text.
    accepted, but then there's manners.
    And there are pm's ;) !
    There's no need to put s.o. down purely for reasons of style and taste.
    Especially when there is zero feedback about the actual content/subject matter.

And really: "Please learn to type legibly before posting ! Your posts look like the ramblings of a jealous child ." That doesn't even make sense in terms of logic! If the style was more 'legible', the contents wouldn't be like 'the ramblings of a jealous child'???? I'm less offended by crooked teeth than by some of the words that come out of people's mouths, but that's just me :D:p
    Anyway, I didn't mean to hijack this thread.
    Apologies :)

hi guys, one question. if anyone has been looking at the youtube clips of the n97 and came across one where the guy says the SDK for the onscreen widjets will be out later this year. im wondering does that mean that the widjet based home screen could be put onto the nokia 5800

astrofool wrote: »
    99% of software works on windows, so it's not hard to look for. Mac generally come with what's needed (browser + email).

Symbian needs specially coded apps designed for it, and it has a small user base, a central place to find all these would be a huge boon to Symbian.

A small user base? And while macs have 'all you need - browser and web', windows and s60 don't have that?
    Handango currently have 1200 apps + for my s60! Add freeware and, well... And none of the top 25 s60 apps are iFart or iSmoke!

The apps/games/fart store run by apple has no copy paste app, no multitask app, no drag'n'drop/plug'n'play app! No 3rd party browser that works when you're cut off from 3g and wifi (how slow IS safari then...), no music player, no ...
    You really are baffling!

I got my nokia 5800 on the 22nd of december. it was very buggy but thankfully the firmware update fixed alot of it.

So basically lads. the 5800 with s60 5th edition is going to be a great road test for the n97 using the same s60 5th edition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭coghlac3

http://www.pressemeldungen.at/67826/n97-is-given-sim-free-release-date-nokia-n97-unlocked/

Article regarding N97 and they're giving release date as March 31st for sim free only, think this will be a UK release date too, apparently in white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Jimmyjimster

The nokia n500 looks like a better bet to me, nokias rival to the iphone. iphones are good but i hav'nt really taken to mine so will defo be investing in the n500 for sure.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Appleguy

iPhone doesn't have copy/paste
    iPhone only has a 2Mp camera
    iPhone cant hook into car system and watch movies on your sun visor
    iPhone cant MMS
    iPhone cant bluetooth images.

There. happy? Anything else you want me to repeat?
    Think your looking for the iphone complaints thread dude

I'm not looking for an argument but some of these could be changed with a simple software update by apple.

Copy and paste could be added in a software update
    2MP camera is good enough for any mobile, it could be improved but the pictures are perfect quality in daylight hours. It is lacking a flash though.
    I'd say very few people know or care about watching movies on a sun visor in their car.
    Iphone can mms if jailbroken
    I don't know what you mean by bluetooth images

Sounds to me that what you need is a good camera and a decent TV at home. Products like the iphone with 'everything' in them are great but not meant to be able to do everything. Give them a break.

I do have my complaints about the iphone too but there only small things not worth cloging up an internet forum moaning about the. :rolleyes:

And this thread is about the N97 anyway not the iphone.

First impressions are that the 32gb's of memory is very good. I loved nokias and only really had them until i got my iphone. I'd be interested in
    trying one out. I hope that wasn't a big mistake with the keyboard flip out thing. If it wasn't designed properly i'd say it will be a world of pain for Nokia when they start breaking.

I mean almost everything you do with calls and txts will involve those buttons under the main screen if that latch gets damaged or stuck the phone is basically worthless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

i wonder when can we expect a release date for here? Isn't it usually 4- 6 weeks after sim free release?

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

I just discovered this phone recently and am pretty sure its the next phone I want! I currently have the Samsung F700 on bill and this just looks like a better, nicer way more advanced version of this (and I love it)!

I'm preety sure after having this current touch screen slider with qwerty pad for texting I could't go back to the old school haha...is there any other alternative phones I am not considering?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 stu3mb

Hmm..to be honest nothing of the N97 made me go "wow".

I wow-ed at:
    - Iphone's usability, excellent responsive screen
    - the HTC Touch HD's huge high resolution screen
    - Xperia's build quality

Nokia has got a lot of catch-up to do when N97 is released I believe, because by that time other companies would've phones with better features, even windows mobile 7 maybe (its in beta now).

Does anyone know if N97's touchscreen is capacitative or resistive? does it support multi-touch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

stu3mb wrote: »
    Does anyone know if N97's touchscreen is capacitative or resistive? does it support multi-touch?

Resistive i believe. But some people are saying they might change to capacitative before the launch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

davton wrote: »
    Resistive i believe. But some people are saying they might change to capacitative before the launch

Unlikely given Nokia's presence in Asian markets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

stu3mb wrote: »
    Hmm..to be honest nothing of the N97 made me go "wow".

I wow-ed at:
    - Iphone's usability, excellent responsive screen
    - the HTC Touch HD's huge high resolution screen
    - Xperia's build quality

Xperia has pretty poor build quality, strange given HTC's products are usually robust.

Large thread on build quality issues here.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=447211

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 stu3mb

Xperia has pretty poor build quality, strange given HTC's products are usually robust.

Large thread on build quality issues here.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=447211

I take my word back on Xperia's build quality. Bad for a phone costing that much.:eek:

Unlikely given Nokia's presence in Asian markets.

I'll definitely be jumping on the next capacitative touchscreen phone. Looks like it won't be the N97.

Advertisement