Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Camber adjustment

Options
  • 02-12-2008 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I need to get the camber adjusted on my cars wheels, most garages don't do this afaik. Anyone know of a place in Kildare that does this?

Any help would be fantastic.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Why do you need camber adjustment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

I had the gearbox in my car changed awhile ago and since then the front tyres have been wearing on the inside alot more quickly than the outside.

It's not the tracking, as i've had that done.

I had the gearbox in my car changed awhile ago and since then the front tyres have been wearing on the inside alot more quickly than the outside.

It's not the tracking, as i've had that done.

Is it a Mondeo?

No, its a VW Polo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Most cars don't have camber adjustment. I have a similar problem on my Audi and the camber can't be adjusted.

My problem is most likely a worn balljoint on the lower wishbone.

• Advertisement

There isn't any camber adjustment on a Polo. I thought it might have been a Mondeo because you've to lower the subframe to get the gearbox out and if the subframe isn't properly aligned going back in, you can have major steering geometry issues. All you can adjust on your car is the track rods, but I'd imagine anyone doing wheel alignment would check for ball joint, suspension bushing, track rod end and inner tie rod wear before doing wheel alignment...

Right, so i rang fastfit and asked them about it and he's agreeing with what you're saying, that there is no camber adjustment on a VW polo.

So i rang my local mechanic and he tells me that there's camber adjustment on my polo, 100% and to ring Advanced on the naas road. I rang them and they told me that fastfit are wrong and that there is camber adjustment on some vw polos.

So i'm heading over there now to get it done. Will let you all know the suss when i'm back :)

Right, so i rang fastfit and asked them about it and he's agreeing with what you're saying, that there is no camber adjustment on a VW polo.

So i rang my local mechanic and he tells me that there's camber adjustment on my polo, 100% and to ring Advanced on the naas road. I rang them and they told me that fastfit are wrong and that there is camber adjustment on some vw polos.

So i'm heading over there now to get it done. Will let you all know the suss when i'm back :)

Keep your A4 sheet of wheel alignment data, that should tell you if everything is within spec... Also get whoever is doing it to check for steering & suspension component wear...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Dave at Advanced will sort you out. Sound bloke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Hi

i would advise you not to go to advance on the naas road. in sept i sent my GF`s huyndai coupe there for rear wheel alignment and a check of the suspension components after it failed the NCT on rear axle alignment (-19m).

Advance said all the suspension and shocks etc where just fine and that they couldnt read any mis-aligment in the wheels at all, but they put it on the machine and did an alignment anyway just to be safe.

Drove off to the nct and the car felt awful, all over the place and the handling was just rubbish. brought it back and they insisted it was fine, it was not, back to the nct and it failed again - exact same reading as before.

brought it to 2 other advance pitstops, the first said they could read no mis-alignment and wouldnt re-do the alignment. The second said the aligment was out and claimed they fixed it, i also asked for a check of the suspension again which they said was all fine - brought it to the nct and it passed - but barely. got the impression that the tester did his best to pass it as he recongnised us from the 2 previous tests (and we had all the print outs) and this time the reading was still -18m, right on the limit. tester mentioned that he felt advance were rubbish.

Since then the handling has been poor, still all over the place, back kept kicking out when it was wet and at times it felt like the back shocks (nct showed no imbalance front or rear) or bushings were gone. Last week i noticed that the rear tyres were wearing out really badly on one side (right on the very very outer edge of both, only about one fifth of the tyre looked worn the rest still looked brand new and these tyres are now only 4 months old)

Brought it to Discount Autos in Rosemount, Blanchardstown. They put it on their machine for geometry and said that the rear tyres were "way way" out of alignment. They felt whoever did the last alignment left it dangerously out. So i had to cough up for two new tyres and a full gemoetry. The handling has been perfect since then.

in short i wouldnt go back to advance for alignment but i would recommend Discount ( tyres4less.ie )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

tin79 wrote: »
    Hi

i would advise you not to go to advance on the naas road. in sept i sent my GF`s huyndai coupe there for rear wheel alignment and a check of the suspension components after it failed the NCT on rear axle alignment (-19m).

Advance said all the suspension and shocks etc where just fine and that they couldnt read any mis-aligment in the wheels at all, but they put it on the machine and did an alignment anyway just to be safe.

Drove off to the nct and the car felt awful, all over the place and the handling was just rubbish. brought it back and they insisted it was fine, it was not, back to the nct and it failed again - exact same reading as before.

brought it to 2 other advance pitstops, the first said they could read no mis-alignment and wouldnt re-do the alignment. The second said the aligment was out and claimed they fixed it, i also asked for a check of the suspension again which they said was all fine - brought it to the nct and it passed - but barely. got the impression that the tester did his best to pass it as he recongnised us from the 2 previous tests (and we had all the print outs) and this time the reading was still -18m, right on the limit. tester mentioned that he felt advance were rubbish.

Since then the handling has been poor, still all over the place, back kept kicking out when it was wet and at times it felt like the back shocks (nct showed no imbalance front or rear) or bushings were gone. Last week i noticed that the rear tyres were wearing out really badly on one side (right on the very very outer edge of both, only about one fifth of the tyre looked worn the rest still looked brand new and these tyres are now only 4 months old)

Brought it to Discount Autos in Rosemount, Blanchardstown. They put it on their machine for geometry and said that the rear tyres were "way way" out of alignment. They felt whoever did the last alignment left it dangerously out. So i had to cough up for two new tyres and a full gemoetry. The handling has been perfect since then.

in short i wouldnt go back to advance for alignment but i would recommend Discount ( tyres4less.ie )

Thats Gas tin79, your car was just in ahead of my Mondeo. I cant praise them enough either. They have good equipment and were able to use it. My one, was off in the front. Going well now since Saturday. There passed the National Acuatics Centre, with Blanchardstown to your back, well worth giving them a try....

yeah i think i saw your mondeo, the gold one with the 9 spoke alloys?

but i should say that the coupe isnt my car (girls car) :) mine was the silver mondeo parked up the other end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

tin79 wrote: »
    yeah i think i saw your mondeo, the gold one with the 9 spoke alloys?

but i should say that the coupe isnt my car (girls car) :) mine was the silver mondeo parked up the other end.

yeah...the guy at the desk was explaning how they sorted out the Hyundai coupe ..so hence why it rang a bell.
    oh yeah the infamous security guard...i remember now...!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

tred wrote: »
    They have good equipment and were able to use it

Thats the problem with a lot of places that fit tyres - they can't use the gear in the first place!!!

tred wrote: »
    so hence why it rang a bell.
    oh yeah the infamous security guard...i remember now...!.

Ha ha, yeah that was me. Sound man that security guard :)

Agree with you jonty, i think thats what caused the problem the first time round

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

When it comes to alignment, a person with a piece of string who knows what they're doing is far better than somone with the latest laser equipment who hasn't a clue.

Advertisement