Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi Air Mass Meter

Options
  • 02-12-2008 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭

I have a 98 Audi A3 and started having problems at the weekend (again!).

my car started cutting out randomly, on roundabouts and at traffic lights. The rev counter, when idling, would jump up to 1500 or so three or four times and then conk out. It wouldn't restart without me keeping my foot on the excelerator and just going.. But the car would chug heavily when driving.

Brought it to the mechanics and they reckoned it was a loose hose. Got it back yesterday and the car conked out on the way home again. Got into it this morning to bring it back to the garage and it was running fine for 20 minutes or so before it started doing the same.

Mechanic now reckons its the air mass meter. Anybody ever had this problem before? Any idea on cost of the operation etc... Got a price from Otto parts for €180 for the part

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Was the car hooked up to a diagnostics system to arrive at this diagnosis?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

MAF often doesnt register a clear code with the diagnostics it can be quite vague.

Yes OP - its common and not too bad really. You can buy the part for under €100 and fit it yourself. It clips on.

You should try disconnecting the MAF on the car now (this then defaults to a standard mapping) and see if there is an improvement. this will verify if the fault is with the MAF.

Becareful what the main dealer quotes you to get it replaced it is a simple job! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I've had 2 Audi's to this: both were MAF's.

One, dealer, cost Eur 390 iirc.

The second, by my local indy, cost Eur 90 iirc. - used one from a Passat.

Fwiw, such is the commonality of this part failing in VAG cars, that, in the UK at least, they do (or used to...) a service-exchange scheme on them for about GBP50.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Mr.David wrote: »
    MAF often doesnt register a clear code with the diagnostics it can be quite vague.

Yes OP - its common and not too bad really. You can buy the part for under €100 and fit it yourself. It clips on.

You should try disconnecting the MAF on the car now (this then defaults to a standard mapping) and see if there is an improvement. this will verify if the fault is with the MAF.

Becareful what the main dealer quotes you to get it replaced it is a simple job! :)

Should still be able to view live signal data for the sensor. It does sound like that, you'd change this yourself in 2 minutes OP...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

galwaytt wrote: »
    I've had 2 Audi's to this: both were MAF's.

One, dealer, cost Eur 390 iirc.

The second, by my local indy, cost Eur 90 iirc. - used one from a Passat.

Fwiw, such is the commonality of this part failing in VAG cars, that, in the UK at least, they do (or used to...) a service-exchange scheme on them for about GBP50.

Wouldn't be bothered with a second hand part, don't know what condition its in. Got a new Bosch MAF for my 1.9 TDI VAG for 123 euros at a Skoda dealership out by Blackpool in cork, there was a price variance between Seat, Skoda, Audi and VW all for the same part !

Otto in my experience seems to be a bit overpriced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,968 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

One possibility is that the pipe going into the Brake Servo is cracked and leaking. I've seen this exact problem with near identical symptoms on 98-02 Golfs, but they were petrols. I can't recall off the top of my head if Diesels Audis are the same. Might be something to look out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

craichoe wrote: »
    Wouldn't be bothered with a second hand part, don't know what condition its in. Got a new Bosch MAF for my 1.9 TDI VAG for 123 euros at a Skoda dealership out by Blackpool in cork, there was a price variance between Seat, Skoda, Audi and VW all for the same part !

Otto in my experience seems to be a bit overpriced.

123 is good. Service exchange isn't used one - comes with as-new warranty.

Mind you, given their propensity to fail......you'd probably need it !

It would suggest, though, that what causes them to fail is quite small/simple........makes you wonder why they can't bulild a proper one in the first place........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

galwaytt wrote: »
    123 is good. Service exchange isn't used one - comes with as-new warranty.

Mind you, given their propensity to fail......you'd probably need it !

It would suggest, though, that what causes them to fail is quite small/simple........makes you wonder why they can't bulild a proper one in the first place........

That is with the Exchange, VAG look for the old one back. Its just a BOSCH wind chill sensor in a pipe anyway, think it goes due to muck getting past the Air filter. K&N Air Filters have caused an increased failure rate afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

Whats VAG?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Whats VAG?

Its the volkawagen audi group which includes skoda, seat and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Whats VAG?
    its seat

Whats VAG?
    Volkswagen Audi Group

This compiles of Volkswagen, Audi, Seat and Skoda. I also think Bentley is part of this, or are they just owned by VAG. Maybe somebody else can clarify this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭poker-jacks

Thanks for the replies guys. Got a call from the mechanic to say that they had a used one in the garage and they put it in to see how it got on and the car ran fine. So remains to be seen... No idea on cost yet. i'll update when I know more.

Thanks for the replies guys. Got a call from the mechanic to say that they had a used one in the garage and they put it in to see how it got on and the car ran fine. So remains to be seen... No idea on cost yet. i'll update when I know more.

The car is back with mechanic this morning. It still runs fine for 10 mins, and then the the heavy chugging starts (its very bad, as in i'm pushed forward in my seat). I wasn't charged yesterday. Could this be a gearbox problem?

Sounds like it could be the coil pack?

Or sparks/leads?

I still reckon I am right.

Q2002 wrote: »

I still reckon you're not :P

Mr.David wrote: »
    Sounds like it could be the coil pack?

Or sparks/leads?

Leads were changed about a month and a half ago so it should't be them. Haven't serviced since March, so possibly sparks are gone (how long should they last?)

Q2002 wrote: »

I'll suggest this to the mechanic (althought I shoudln't have to).

Just to elaborate on the symptoms, last night, at its worst, I would start the engine and revs would go to 1500 and it would just die down and cut out straight away (as if it was the immobiliser)..

Advertisement