Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TEFL - students complaining

• 02-12-2008 12:04pm

I started at a new school north of Dublin a few months ago, and recently took over the class of a teacher who'd just left. I've been getting some bad vibes off this class since the beginning, particularly from 2 or 3 of the girls. They obviously don't like me and recently complained that they don't like my class and feel like they don't get much opportunity to speak. I just don't understand it. I've done a million different activities, I've done pair work, I've done games (taboo, pictionary, charades), the class seems to enjoy it at the time but no matter what I do, I keep getting these complaints. It's wrecking my head because I put loads of effort into this class and get so little back. It really feels like the students are expecting to be entertained rather than put in some effort themselves. I don't know what the previous teacher did that I'm not doing but the constant comparisons are getting tiresome. I welcome constructive criticism but I just don't understand what the problem is. They have every opportunity to speak as much as they like. Anytime I give them a 'free speaking' exercise (giving opinions on something or telling a story) most of them don't want to speak. I just don't get it at all. If you walked into my class, you'd see the students laughing and enjoying themselves and learning loads of vocab. They certainly don't give off the impression the class is boring or pointless, bar a couple of girls. I really don't think I'm a bad teacher - I got mostly glowing reports and compliments on my TEFL course, and the course director was the type to tell you if you were crap. I teach other classes and nobody else has ever complained, to my knowledge. Most people think I'm a nice person, but I'm very genuine. I don't do 'fake nice' and I don't fawn over the students, but I'm friendly and approachable. Anyone have any ideas about what the problem could be and what I could do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

OK, you are taking the complaints of 2/3 whinging teenagers waaaaay too seriously! You don't get into teaching to be liked, it's great and easier when they do, but there's always going to a few students who just don't like you. I'm guessing that they see how hard you're trying and they're probably aware that this is stressing you out - more than likely these girls are getting a kick out of it. Why? God only knows.... but it doesn't matter.

From your post you sound like a good teacher who uses a variety of different teaching approaches and is concerned about her students. Why on earth would you let 3 students make you doubt yourself?

And as for the comparisons - every student does this. I recently had a H.Dip student taking my class and they told her they preferred her and then told me the same thing! This is what students do! Ignore them, they shouldn't really be talking about this in front of you unless they're trying to a annoy you.....

Take a step back, remember you are a good teacher and don't allow 3 b**ches to dictate your classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭loveroflight

this is just normal misplaced loyalty to original teacher... nothing to do with you except it's an awful nuisance, creating a bad atmosphere. Only way to deal with it is to do your best to ignore it. Dont let them push your buttons. Good luck!!!

• First of all, these aren't teenagers, they're adults of 25+, believe it or not. I'm getting stressed because these girls have complained to the Director of Studies and I have had my class observed twice since then! Sorry, I forgot to mention that in my OP. I am aware that students will moan, but actually saying something to the DOS is taking it way too far, IMO. Now I have her and probably other teachers doubting my abilities! I could understand it if I was a genuinely **** and/or lazy teacher, but I really try to make it interesting and fun and it feels like I'm fighting a losing battle here. I feel like they decided they didn't like me as much as the old teacher from day one, and that was that. Having my class observed is awful, it makes me really nervous, especially because I know it's for a reason and not just a general observation. I'm now at the stage where I'm starting to despise the students, going into a class with these stuck up, two faced b*tches and feeling like I have to put on some sort of show because nobody makes any effort. I'm certainly not going to pander to them like the previous teacher did (it's funny because I didn't like her much, she came across as very fake to me!) I want them to learn as well as have fun.

I mean, tonight I tried to have a discussion on smoking, and it was like getting blood out of a stone for the most part. Any other class I've done on that topic has been really interesting and people were really into it - it lasted about 5 minutes with this class because they weren't contributing anything. That was followed by pictionary, some of the girls rolled their eyes when they got their cards and refused to draw their picture (I made them :D) I mean, what on earth are they expecting? The sun, moon, earth and stars? I'm not going to bring them in chocolates every day to make them like me. I'll do it at Christmas or Halloween but not every day. I just don't know what I can do at this point. I'm starting to dread going into that class, whereas I enjoy my others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭See Ye

Ok take a deep breath and listen very carefully Samson Salmon Scalp - you are the teacher. That's it.

The learners pay for you to provide a service. It is a business not an emotional transaction. They should feel satisfied when they leave your lessons but they don't have to like you, nor you them. Think of it like getting a hair cut - sure it's nicer if you can have a bit of a chat but the reason you go to this hairdresser rather than that one is because of the quality of the cut. Complaints occur when learners feel they aren't getting value for money not because of a personal dislike.

If a learner complains the DoS is right to show concern and observe the teacher. Your DoS will be able to assess what's going on. I'm an advocate of frequent observations whatever the situation but you need feedback or they serve no purpose. What did your DoS say about the classes he/she saw ? If you haven't had any feedback go get it. Get it now and be proactive; show you take the situation seriously - who knows you may even find the previous teacher had problems with this group.

Rest assured observers do realise how their presence can alter the dynamic of a lesson and take it into account. It is artificial by it's nature. The teacher can be nervous, over-prepare, some prepare when they usually wing it. The learners make more of an effort ... I've had a learner turn round and assure me she appreciated correction in the middle of an observation.

From what you've said it doesn't sound as if you're doing anything wrong per say but I do have a couple of observations (if you'll excuse the pun).

I know this was just one example but what was your lead-in to the smoking discussion ? I mean, I'm not sure I could talk about smoking for more than five minutes - especially now there's a ban in place in most European countries. Is it the sort of thing you and your mates chat about ? You don't say what level this group is but unless you are very very lucky you won't have learners who are happy speaking for speaking's sake - they need a reason to do so. If it's a large group allow them to develop their ideas in smaller, less intimidating, groups before doing a class feedback.

For pure speaking activities try getting learners to update each other on the latest episodes of TV shows or offer their views on recent film releases. These are realistic topics of conversation. Hand out headlines or short news paragraphs and get the learners to tell each other about their story. Give the learners a role to play or hide behind - they may be reluctant to put their own view forward. Some sort of stimulus / support is vital.

Limit the games to special occasions - they can play Pictionary at home for free. Rather than a fun treat it could be interpreted as lazy teaching.

As you probably did on your TEFL course build in speaking during all stages of the lesson. Make sure your freer speaking has a purpose, using specific grammar or functions, and make sure you allow time to provide feedback both on the task and the language used so it is clear to everyone that the activity had value.

• Thanks for the advice. The problem is, though, that the class is quite a low level class. There is very little you can really do in the way of actual speaking and discussions, which is why I try to do loads of varied activities and keep discussions very short. I've shown my materials and lesson plans to other teachers and they say they're perfect, so I have no idea why every single class seems to be a failure.
    I know this was just one example but what was your lead-in to the smoking discussion ? I mean, I'm not sure I could talk about smoking for more than five minutes - especially now there's a ban in place in most European countries.

I used a page from a discussion book tailored to their level with some simple questions to consider and asked everyone for their opinion. I wasn't asking anyone to talk for 5 minutes, I just asked if they were smokers, when they started smoking, if they have tried to give up, and asked the non smokers if smoking bothered them. I wasn't looking for anything more than that.

I've already done loads of activities like 'finish the story', 'tell your partner about a story', 'what was the latest film you saw?' and nothing seems to go very well. They begged me for ages to do songs and when I did a couple of songs they weren't particularly enthusiastic! The strange thing is that I do very similar activities with another class with a similar, slightly lower level, and they go really well. The thing with this class is that I just get NOTHING back, ever. They don't seem to realise that they need to put in the effort as well. The latest thing is students leaving when they get bored or don't like an activity. Last night I did songs and lyrics gapfilling for the first half, and a few of the students left after that because I went on to ask them to tell us about their favourite bands or singers and they thought that was boring. They wanted to do songs for an hour and a half. What can you do with a class like that?!

• Advertisement

Yikes !

What did your DoS say about the lessons ? You need to get advice from them.

Could you do a secret ballot asking the learners to list 3 priorities for the class ? you may then find the silent majority are on your side, if so post the results. Or do a SWAN analysis as a group - in small groups get learners identify their Strengths, Weaknesses, Aims and Needs with regard to English then build up feedback on the board.

A scary thing, depending on how much longer you'll have the group, do a session on "learning" - how to be an efficient learner what makes a class successful etc. or even draw up a contract as suggested here or here. Build it into a lesson on New Year's resolutions even ?

There are other learners in the group who seem happy if reluctant to speak up as it were and they need teaching too. Hopefully the school will have one of these books which have lots of guided pairwork activities (I'm gobsmacked at the current price but they are worth the investment). The learners who want to work get a chance to do so and the others can sit and bitch to each other if they so choose.

Again I say - talk to your DoS - other teachers may not have the time, nor feel it their place to give constructive criticism even if you need it.

Don't give up tho' Samson Salmon Scalp, learners like this are few and far between.

[quote=[Deleted User];58212156]I used a page from a discussion book tailored to their level with some simple questions to consider and asked everyone for their opinion. I wasn't asking anyone to talk for 5 minutes, I just asked if they were smokers, when they started smoking, if they have tried to give up, and asked the non smokers if smoking bothered them. I wasn't looking for anything more than that.[/quote] Well that sounds fine - next time you could put the questions on the board and get the learners to discuss in small groups of about three before doing class feedback - one learner fomr each group giving a summary of what was said - this will take longer and each learner has more opportunity to talk.

I've just thought - have you tried getting them to change places ? Organise a seemingly random activity, like birthday dates or height or picking A or B out of a hat and use it to change who is working together - it may just change the dynamic enough to make a difference.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• The DOS seems to be more or less on my side, from what I've picked up from her comments. Found out something interesting from her today - at least two female teachers were 'forced out' by their classes this year, because the class just turned on them and made the job hell. Another teacher confirmed this and said one girl used to go into the teachers room in tears. I'm a strong person so it would take a LOT for me to get that upset, but it's sort of comforting to know it's not just me. It's not the nicest environment to teach in in the first place - all the students are from the same country and speak their own language all the time - this contributes to the 'pack' mentality. It seems that one or two b*tchy girls get the idea they don't like you and turn the entire class against you.

Apparently we'll have a switcharound after Christmas so I might not even have this group much longer. I'm just angry that this situation is allowed to happen - there's very little support from the DOS and other teachers, and the implication seems to be that I'm not the greatest teacher, which really annoys me because I really don't believe that's true. A few students from another class of the same level were just telling me today how much they like my class and that they appreciate me making it fun for them, and I get very good vibes from the other groups. I hate how this situation is really making me start to doubt myself and my abilities, it's turning into paranoia!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Was the previous teacher a good looking male by any chance?

• Nope, she was a not very attractive (I HATE saying things like that but it's true) female.

• Advertisement

Ah well, seems you're playing against the wind - concentrate on giving the best value for money you can to the learners who want to be there. Keep doing what you know to be good teaching practice and don't pander to the witches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

What country are the problem students from?

I'm guessing they're from a Mediterranean country. Asians are much nicer, and Northern Europeans usually speak English well already.

Advertisement