Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

feedback on iphone 3g battery life

• 02-12-2008 12:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭

hi, ive posted this in the iphone 3 thread but no reply...

can some1 that has 1st hand experience give me details of the battery life on this phone? ive heard anything from 3 hours to 3 days...b4 i buy id like to have a good idea of what to expect...what i need is as follows:

24hrs standby time with 20min talk time, 30 min web surfing, 2 hour ipod music listening and 10 txts?

is it reasonable to expect this?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

Easily done mate but you'll be using it a lot more than that - it's just the way the iPhone is, there's always something to play with - just even still, it will still last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

cojomo2 wrote: »
    hi, ive posted this in the iphone 3 thread but no reply...

can some1 that has 1st hand experience give me details of the battery life on this phone? ive heard anything from 3 hours to 3 days...b4 i buy id like to have a good idea of what to expect...what i need is as follows:

24hrs standby time with 20min talk time, 30 min web surfing, 2 hour ipod music listening and 10 txts?

is it reasonable to expect this?

thanks

I am a big fan of the iPhone but I cannot claim good battery life for it -it just isn't very good. Fortunately you can charge it by USB if you have a socket or a Mac/PC handy.

But I feel that this needs to be put into context -the iPhone does an awful lot and unless you choose to defeat its 3G, bluetooth, location services, push, fetch options -in other words change it to always off rather than always on, then 3G is going to eat away at that battery -as Steve Jobs warned when everyone clamoured for the (inevitable) 3G iPhone.

It isn't just a phone; it's a handheld Mac running OSX iPhone and as such it requires a lot of juice. Turning unnecessary options off will conserve that juice.

I used to own an N95 and apart from its rickety build and clunky software (not to mention its eventual exploding in my pocket) I remember trying out the voice-assisted GPS on a couple of occasions. I barely got 20-30 minutes out of the battery on a full charge in this scenario and a car charger was de rigeur. Running a a few apps at the same time in the early firmware versions caused it to crash frequently and drained the battery in a very short time, though nowhere as near as bad as when using GPS.

iPhone is, in its natural state, an 'always on' device and as such performs a lot better than the aforementioned N95 (and I understand the N96 uses the same battery) and so you must decide whether to carry a USB cable around with you or turn some features off.

I keep bluetooth off permanently and carry the cable. I get about a day most times and can usually get to something that I can plug the cable into. It's far from ideal, but the power of the iPhone far outweighs its disadvantages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

about a day with everything turned on, and a couple of hours usage is roughly what i found. I wasn't impressed initially, but after turning off some stuff i don't use regurlarly its extended it a bit.

if you have a daily commute in a car, get yourself a car charger, that'll always keep u topped up, it does the job for me

Advertisement