Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get essay regraded?

Options
  • 02-12-2008 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I just got my grade (via blackboard) for an essay I did for my 1st year psychology elective... It was pretty disappointing! I thought it was the best essay I've done, spent ages trawling through science journals and getting the up to date information and studies (whereas I suspect most of the class, being first years, just printed out the slides and expanded on them). I made the extra effort because it's a subject I quite enjoy!

I feel I deserve a higher grade than I received. Is there a process or system whereby I can get the essay regraded/checked? There are 2 lecturers for the class and they alternate, so presumably only one of them looked at the essay. If I asked would they just let the other one grade it?

What's the process for this?

P*ssed off now :mad:

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

I dont know how you'd go about it officially, but I would arrange to meet the lecturer and go from there - Ive had essays / exams rechecked without going through any formal channels.

I had a class like that. I went the extra mile - I read other texts, journals, formed opinion etc (hey it was second year, I was going through a short lived idealistic phase), but got a lower grade than those who regergitated the lecture slides.

That lecture was very self important and possibly had a marking scheme based on specific points / references. Though you are told that independant research / analysis is whats required for a first its important to remember that most lecturers do not grade most essays themselves, they devise a marking scheme which is used by post grads.

That being said for one of my finals I didnt go to the lecture / have any notes and didnt buy the book. I relied exclusivley on wikipedia and got a first (86% when most people got low 60s). Sometimes there is just no logic, or sense of fairness (theres certainly no consistency); but with any luck things will balance out in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

http://www.ucd.ie/appeals/exam_appeal.htm

Thats the official line i think. I do remember a friend of mine doing history in first year and a tutor gave him a D and he went to the lecturer to correct it and they remarked it and gave a higher grade. But they simply went to the lecturer and told them about it. Probably better to informally approach the lecturer before you consider proper action

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I know it may be completely obvious to ask, but are you sure your essay actually answered the question that was asked. Or that it was relevant and argumentative? I know it may seem a harsh question, but I remember getting back essays I thought were really good, and being disappointed with the result. I went back up to the lecturer to get more detailed feedback, etc. and it was pointed out that the essay wasn't entirely relevant/argumentative and therefore lost marks. It actually happens to students quite regularly.

If you're happy that the essay was relevant, and you're not happy with the explanations that the lecturer gave you (if and when you meet them) then go to the office and ask them how to have the essay regraded or go to the exam website.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

convert wrote: »
    I know it may be completely obvious to ask, but are you sure your essay actually answered the question that was asked. Or that it was relevant and argumentative? I know it may seem a harsh question, but I remember getting back essays I thought were really good, and being disappointed with the result. I went back up to the lecturer to get more detailed feedback, etc. and it was pointed out that the essay wasn't entirely relevant/argumentative and therefore lost marks. It actually happens to students quite regularly.

If you're happy that the essay was relevant, and you're not happy with the explanations that the lecturer gave you (if and when you meet them) then go to the office and ask them how to have the essay regraded or go to the exam website.

+1. Also, I know this isn't much consolation, but in all fairness you need to remember that this is a first year elective - it ain't the end of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I do think that I answered the question appropriately... I think enough to warrant at least a B of some sort anyway! I'm about to email the lecturer now, cheers

spudington16, I know it's only a 1st year elective, but the essay is worth 50% of the grade, so I was hoping to be on reasonably steady ground before the exam! Plus my GPA is shocking, so I need to boost that -- which is where 1st year electives are handy.

Thanks all... hopefully I won't have to appeal, it looks like a pain in the hoop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭maximalistic

How long before it's too late to appeal a grade? Was hoping to appeal my 2nd year Polish History grade, apparently alot of people are thinking of appealing it so i might have a strong case!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Peewee_lane

Hate to say this, but sometimes mature students go way over the point. We have a guy who continuously asks questions and makes jokes in lectures, goes off and does all this amazing research and the when we get assignment results, etc, he has a big face on him as if he didnt do well enough.

Advertisement