Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new build from scratch.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Is that a good Graphics card?

There's one on komplett.ie with 1gb memory and passive heating. http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=367947

I'm looking to upgrade meself. I'm completely out of the loop though and have no idea which cards are good or worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

one of the other posters here will be better to answer that question but as far as i know on the performance side of things, there is not a whole lot of difference between the 512 mb and the 1 gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Hard to fault that build, well picked. Only things I might change would be the multimedia desktop - I doubt the mouse is the best for games....

Other then that I think anyone would be hard pressed to find any issue.

At 182 the Passive 4850 is nice if you want total silence but from a gaming perspective the 512mb 4870 is generally faster (bar the odd exception and even then only at very high resolution) and starts at 195 from Pixmania.

At 182 the Passive 4850 is nice if you want total silence but from a gaming perspective the 512mb 4870 is generally faster (bar the odd exception and even then only at very high resolution) and starts at 195 from Pixmania.
    I was reading a review of it here they more or less say the same thing. It seems it's all about weather your willing to pay the premium for the passive cooling. I have a passively cooled gigabyte board and the Radeon X1900 XTX that I have now is like an air conditioning unit, I wouldn't mind loosing that fan. I kindof like the look of the card too. It's not really a bad card is it?

I'm thinking about replacing my current monitor Samsung SM940BF with a 22" widescreen after Christmas too, so that might be able to take advantage of the higher resolutions??

yeah, good thinking. i will probably change the mouse/keyboard setup and order this shortly.

thanks terror.

one more question.
    i think herself will be buying a computer table with a glass worktop. i guess that will mean an optical mouse is out of the question? gaming wise, is there any difference between an optical and an ordinary one?

sorry, that was two questions.:)

• Advertisement

bennyob wrote: »
    yeah, good thinking. i will probably change the mouse/keyboard setup and order this shortly.

thanks terror.

one more question.
    i think herself will be buying a computer table with a glass worktop. i guess that will mean an optical mouse is out of the question? gaming wise, is there any difference between an optical and an ordinary one?

sorry, that was two questions.:)
    Do they still sell ball mice? If they do they shouldn't, they have no place in the world since optical came in. Any ordinary mouse mat would do. I think you can even get glass mouse mats for optical mice but they have a special pattern through them to bounce back the laser. I'm assuming normal glass wouldn't be a good surface for an optical mouse.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Do they still sell ball mice? If they do they shouldn't, they have no place in the world since optical came in. Any ordinary mouse mat would do. I think you can even get glass mouse mats for optical mice but they have a special pattern through them to bounce back the laser. I'm assuming normal glass wouldn't be a good surface for an optical mouse.

that shows how long its been since i've invested in hardware.
    if there are any problems i can use a mat that i have at home.

i was asking about how they are for gaming because i came accross one and if you moved the mouse quickly, it wouldn't register. i had to move it slowly for it to be picked up which is not good for gaming.

bennyob wrote: »
    that shows how long its been since i've invested in hardware.
    if there are any problems i can use a mat that i have at home.

i was asking about how they are for gaming because i came accross one and if you moved the mouse quickly, it wouldn't register. i had to move it slowly for it to be picked up which is not good for gaming.
    I use logitech at home and at work and don't have that problem. It may have been a problem when they came out first, or a problem with cheap mice but I haven't come across the problem with any of the one's I've used.

The one at work sometimes creeps, as in the pointer starts moving on screen without moving the mouse. Thats about it on faults the one at home is spot on.

Advertisement