Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ways to warm up dogs kennels

Options
  • 02-12-2008 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭

I have 1 of them barna dog sheds for my dogs to sleep, it has a run and kennel that is well sheltered,

my question is this-whenever i put in bedding, carpet, or anything like that my dogs take it out of the kennel into the garden! i was going to put hot water bottles in but they'll just be pulled out and ripped up too.

Anyone got any ideas on how to make it as warm as possible?

ps, the dogs are never shivering and dont mind the cold but im just trying to make it as good for them as i can..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

What about some hay or straw? Are you near any farms or anything?.

Or maybe shredded paper? from a recycling place maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

yeah i might get some hay, they cant drag that about as easy! im sure they'll figure out some way...:D

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Im sure they will haha.

But at least it should be handy to clean up. And might help your grass getting ruined in this weather :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Discostuy wrote: »
    What about some hay or straw? Are you near any farms or anything?.

Or maybe shredded paper? from a recycling place maybe.
    Straw and hay can infest an entire kennel with a case of sarcoptic mange, not to mention fleas and ticks. The bacteria Klebsiella and a parasite called Rhabditis strongyloides can also be found in straw and other organic bedding. Both of these can cause disease in dogs. Hay comes from farms and if they have livestock, you can bring their problems to your door. Straw and hay are impossible to disinfects. Wood shavings from pine and cedar trees have been used for years as bedding for everything from horses to mice. The shavings are a great bedding material because they are soft and comfortable, and they absorb excess moisture while covering up unpleasant odors. Wood shavings have a repellent effect on fleas and other insects, and they are environmentally safe when it is time to dispose of them. Another attractive feature of wood shavings is the pleasant aroma of pine and cedar. Wood shavings, however, also have potential health risks. Be sure the wood shavings come from a reputable source, and NEVER USE WOOD SHAVINGS FOR PREGNANT OR NEWBORN ANIMALS. Shavings can cause serious problems when used as bedding for a breeding bitch or newborn puppies. Wood shavings are sometimes found to carry a potentially harmful bacteria called Klebsiella
    Shredded paper is probably the best if your dogs won't accept a blanket or pillow.

Good to know, thanks Srameen...

Glad i use vetbed myself now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Some dogs are terrible for dragging out their beds not sure how safe an heat lamp would be in a timber shed although seen them before in timber sheds for wildlife. Before one of my dogs settled down and got used to her new home here she used to take her blankets out, she eventually copped on that they were supposed to stay in the kennel to keep her warm, now not matter what she's doing she will hop straight into the bed and lie down when I change her blankets, loves her comfort. But before she wouldn't leave them in so tried a dog coat, which worked until I was late getting up one morning and she got bored of it and chewed the strap off lol. So in the end I nailed down a piece of carpet and she left that alone.

If a dogs really set on ruining their bed though they might try and take the carpet up as well, do they have toys etc. perhaps some new unusual toys as a distraction or filled kongs to keep their mind off revamping their pad.

A dog that feels the cold will normally want to keep their blankets and bed cosy so they mustn't be feeling the cold by the sounds of it. If they are developing really thick winter coats they probably feel warm enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Busta Hyman

look at reptile heating equiptment. infra red heatlamps / ceramic heat lamps. my dog (a cavaliar king charles) has a reptile heat mat in her bed to keep her warm at night (shes a spoilt cow really)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

I always check to make sure the blankets inside are dry and then simply close the door of the dog kennel duirng the evening while the dogs are in the house with me. When i let them out for the night i open the door and its nice and snug for them inside. When i first started putting them out for the night i would follow the same routine except i would put in a hot water bottle an hour or so earlier and take it out when they went to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My Dad nailed the dogs' bed to the floor of their little shed. Once they realised they couldn't move it, they left it alone. We thought they'd end up ripping it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭merryhappy

• Advertisement
Advertisement