Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaking rads

Options
  • 02-12-2008 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

Two of the rads in my house started leaking over the weekend at the point where the valve meets the body of the radiator. Now this has happened with other rads before and a turn with an adjustable spanner tightened them up and stopped the leaks. However, while I tightened the nut as much as possible, it actually made the leaks worse. So I'm assumming that the seals have gone, even though the rads in question are only 18 months old. Before, I look into replacing the seals and/or the valves, is there something that I'm missing that would spare me the grief?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Bump.......

Now we have 7 rads leaking at the same point. Its like someone has spilled acid into the system that all teh seals are giving way. Tried to get a plumber out but no joy. We have bowls under all the leaking joints that fill up in 24 hours so I guess the system is getting low on water.

Does anyone know why the joints should all be giving way at the same time???????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Sorry to hear about that Dave; I'm not a plumber but I have some plumbing experience and it sounds like you have problems with corrosion. I'm assuming the threaded connection in the radiator panel is giving trouble. If this is the problem you will have to get an experienced installer in to investigate the problem- the system may be badly designed or installed and this allowing oxygenated water into the system which is corroding the radiators. Try and do this as quickly as you can to minimise further damage. It's not a DIY fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

If the radiators are only 18 months old ,it would be very odd if it's corrosion.
    Why where the radiators replaced and what else was done to your heating system when the radiators where installed ?

311 wrote: »
    If the radiators are only 18 months old ,it would be very odd if it's corrosion.
    Why where the radiators replaced and what else was done to your heating system when the radiators where installed ?

We had an old house that we heavily extended, i.e. 900 sq ft is now 2,800 sq ft. The new system is pressurised with a water pump in the attic. The older existing rads are fine but the new ones in the extension are leaking like sieves. The plumber who installed them was a plank and I have an engineer's report and another plumber's opinion on this. Anything the original plumber put in leaked and up to this point, I was able to put right his mistakes myself. But I can't stop the current leaks that are springing up on a daily basis now and we're running out of bowls to place under the leaking joints :o.

Obviously, the seals he put in place were faulty/incorrectly installed but why have they all started to give way over the past few weeks at the same time. Very odd.

Despite recession, can't get a plumber in to check them out. Glad I put in a pellet stove now so we have some heat at least.

Try and locate a guage on the heating system ,try and find out what pressure is in it.

There are a few things that you could check yourself ,to make sure that your system is not overfilling. Try and turn off the feed to the heating.
    I'd love to offer to call out ,but I mostly work in north dublin.

• Advertisement

I'm originally from the northside myself, D13 area, but moved out to de sticks to have the bit of land.

I checked the system pressure last weekend and it measured at 1 bar so I don't think its too highly pressurised. My gut feeling is that the recent cold snap where the pipes/rads go from very cold to very hot has placed strain on what were probably poor seals and so they have started leaking at the same time. My reasoning for this is that when the heating is on, the pipes/joints heat up and swell and some of the minor leaks stop but when the system cools down and the pipes/joints contract, the leaks recommence.

It could be anything dave ,the guage might not be working properly either (not likely though).

Some radiator valve tail pieces require an allen to tighten them up and it fits inside the fitting. You have to disconnect these from the valve to tighten them properly.
    When you try to tighten them by the nut on the outside it actually loosens the tailpiece.

Thats about all I can think of ,
    Hope you get it sorted out for the chrimbo.

Advertisement