Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi Garage in Waterford

Options
  • 02-12-2008 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭

ive come to the conclusion that all audi garages are useless. especially tom murphys.

i went up and paid 100 euro for a diagnostic because im having a problem with the abs light staying on

he told me there was a problem with a sensor and that i had to book it in.
    i hadnt the money then so i said id leave it for a few weeks then book it

i arrive up there to book the car in and they tell me the mechanic never wrote down what the problem was and its gonna need further diagnostics.

in the mean time they doubled the costs of diagnostics to 100 euro an hour

i do not want to ever go near that place again

any suggestions on another place that i can go to??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Blackwater Motors in Fermoy.

Very good service and aftersales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭chrism2007

any ideas how much they charge an hour for labour / diagnostics ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Nope but try giving them a buzz.

025 49500.

Bit of a trip for a service but they are good.

even there website puts tom murphys to shame.

its a pity there not local, but i suppose as a last resort they might be the best option

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,516 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

wouldn't go branding all audi garages the same. My local Ford dealer also has volvo and stated that labour charges for volvo like audi and merc and twice the price for Ford because in the view of the distributors, if you want to afford a prestige marque, you should be able to pay all the bills and prestige labour costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Try Martin Barretts in Waterford, main Skoda Dealer.

The father gets the A4 serviced there and they never had any bother sorting him out. Very good service, and much more reasonable than Tom Murphys

Edit: 877276 if ya want to see if they can sort you out

TheDriver wrote: »
    wouldn't go branding all audi garages the same. My local Ford dealer also has volvo and stated that labour charges for volvo like audi and merc and twice the price for Ford because in the view of the distributors, if you want to afford a prestige marque, you should be able to pay all the bills and prestige labour costs.

i think your missing the point here.

the fact is there useless not that they cost too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I would check if any of the sensors are not quite pushed in enough. They have to run within a very close distance to a toothed wheel in most situations. If you have had any work done around one of the wheels in particular, this could be the cause. Apart from that, yes it is a good idea to try skoda garage. They should have all the suitable equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

OP - If you could find someone near you with VAG-COM they could check which sensor it is for nothing.

mickdw wrote: »
    I would check if any of the sensors are not quite pushed in enough. They have to run within a very close distance to a toothed wheel in most situations. If you have had any work done around one of the wheels in particular, this could be the cause. Apart from that, yes it is a good idea to try skoda garage. They should have all the suitable equipment.

one of the cv boots went and i had the two front cv boots replaced.you could be on to something there.

also i had the battery replaced because it wouldnt hold a charge. ive read on another forum that when you jumpstart an audi with a flat battery it can commonly damage the abs system which i also did

cheers for the advice lads. looks like ill be dropping into the skoda garage

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    OP - If you could find someone near you with VAG-COM they could check which sensor it is for nothing.

do you know where i could buy one of these myself. would you be fimiliar with them and provide a link to a decent one on ebay or something?

chrism2007 wrote: »
    one of the cv boots went and i had the two front cv boots replaced.you could be on to something there.

Id put money(not alot :) ) on this being the problem. If you are able to do anything with cars, have a look yourself. What car is it?
    Generally you will see the abs cable coming to the wheel/hub assembly. Go to where it is pushed into its housing and see if it is pushed fulling in. A mm or 2 will make all the difference here.
    You didnt replace the cv joint itself did you?
    Did this fault develop straight after this work was carried out?

not straight after to be honest. but another interesting thing is that the very odd time it comes on the dash saying its ok then after around 2 secs flashes red with abs

it wouldnt be the first time ive heard of someone with the same problem so its likely alright

are we talking were it goes into the brake yeah??

edit - its an 2000 audi a4 b5 1.6

and no i didnt replace the whole joint just the boots.

are we talking were it goes into the brake yeah??

ya the sensor hole would be directed at the teeth on the cv joint. It would be useful if you knew which wheel was the problem by using vagcom cable but still its easy enough to clean around the sensor to see if it pushed in right

all the hassle comes from the front drivers side wheel so im fairly sure its that one that causing the bother. ill give that a look over this weekend and if that doesnt work shell be off to skoda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

edit - its an 2000 audi a4 b5 1.6

I'm sure if there was a car that absolutely any half decent mechanic would be able to work on it would be your car. There's no need to be spending 100 euro an hour labour rates in some incompetent Audi garage that will most likely have apprentice mechanics.

VolvoMan wrote: »
    I'm sure if there was a car that absolutely any half decent mechanic would be able to work on it would be your car. There's no need to be spending 100 euro an hour labour rates in some incompetent Audi garage that will most likely have apprentice mechanics.

care to suggest one?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 wjc

Find Blackwater Motors good. Service open v.early and most evenings don't close until 9pm. Useful if you want to leave car there for day. Can rent car from them as well for 25-30 euros/day for usually a 08 jetta or golf.

Advertisement