Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

02 Mobile Internet Price Change

• 02-12-2008 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

Notice of changes to Prepay Mobile Internet Pricing

From December 21st 2008 prepay customers accessing O2 Internet on their mobile will pay 2c per Kb until they reach the 99c daily rate. The daily rate of 99c for up to 50 Mb of daily usage will not change. Data usage in excess of 50Mb will be charged at 2c per Kb. These charges apply when accessing all Mobile Internet pages including the O2 Mobile Internet homepage. All prices quoted include VAT

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

For Christs sake O2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭bmcgrath

Was it 1c per kb before?

Yes.
    http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Explore+Services/Price+plans/Speakeasy+prepay/Data+Pricing/
    If you are a prepay customer, you can browse the internet on your phone for 99c per day. You can dip into your email whenever you like. Check some football results. Buy tickets for The O2. Update your facebook or bebo status every 10 minutes. And still pay no more that 99c per day up to 50MB.

It is not a subscription service. So you don't have to pay 99c every day, only the days you use it. There is a max you can use, but it is 50MB, which is pretty big. If you go over the 50MB usage allowance, you pay 0.5c for each additional KB used.
    Other useful information

What can I do for 50Mb?
    To put 50Mb in context, one full music track from O2's mobile music store is approx 1.3Mb, so in order to exceed the daily cap of 50Mb you'd have to download over 38 full music tracks each day! The average size of a webpage on your mobile is 25kb so you'd have to browse over 2000 pages on the mobile each day to exceed your daily cap.

Will I always pay 99c?
    You pay 1c per Kb for the data you use up to 99c, so if you only use 50Kb of data you will still only be charged 50c, however once you hit 99c all your data is free up to 50Mb

Is this a daily subscription cost that will always come out of my account no matter how much I use?
    No, you only pay for the days you use.

Do I have to do anything to get this new pricing?
    Nothing at all, this is O2's new standard pricing for Prepay customers.

If I pay per day's use, how is a day defined?
    The daily rate applies from midnight (00.00) each day until 23.59 and 59 seconds that day. The "day" is based on Irish time.

What about downloading content like ringtones and games from the Internet on your mobile
    The charge to download the piece of content will also come out of your daily allowance of data - this is called the bearer charge. Remember, you will still pay the fixed charge for the piece of content that you buy, e.g from €1.50 for a full music track or a game which generally costs from €2 - €5.

What about simply connecting to the homepage?
    The O2 Mobile Internet homepage is free to browse.Data charges apply if you connect to any page other than the O2 homepage. You should also remember that to use O2 Mobile Internet (data) you need to retain a minimum balance of 1c call credit.

Can I carry some of my allowance over to the next day?
    No, it's a daily usage policy so if you have some unused data in one day you cannot carry that through to the next day.

Can I check how much data I have used at any point in the day?
    Yes, by typing the following into your phone *113# you can view how much data you've used that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Just in time to milk the new iPhone users for xmas. Look my phone has YouTube - Cha Ching!!

Well, it's not gonna make a huge difference I guess .. but still, price increases aren't great :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭lfc1892

Random wrote: »
    Well, it's not gonna make a huge difference I guess .. but still, price increases aren't great :(

How is that a price increase? 1c per kb is €10 per MB. 99c a day gives you a maximum of 50MB thus a saving of €49.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

lfc1892 wrote: »
    How is that a price increase? 1c per kb is €10 per MB. 99c a day gives you a maximum of 50MB thus a saving of €49.

it used to be 1c per kb up to 99c, now it's 2c per kb up to 99c

mcguyver wrote: »
    Where is this copy/paste from?

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    it used to be 1c per kb up to 99c, now it's 2c per kb up to 99c

You're almost right Sam. The price of GPRS was 5c per kb in 2003 and eventually they reduced it to 2c. Then about a year ago it was reduced to come in line with bill pay prices to 1c per kb (and to make mobile internet more accessable to the people who were more likely to use it, they young). However, this was unlimited. I once used €10 on an XDA with a pre pay sim in it on the BBC homepage alone.

The 99c limit was introduced for the introduction of the iphone on pre pay. Yes, maybe they did raise the base rate of 2c per kb back into it but they also made the o2 homepages free to view so there is give and take.

You're almost right Sam. The price of GPRS was 5c per kb in 2003 and eventually they reduced it to 2c. Then about a year ago it was reduced to come in line with bill pay prices to 1c per kb (and to make mobile internet more accessable to the people who were more likely to use it, they young). However, this was unlimited. I once used €10 on an XDA with a pre pay sim in it on the BBC homepage alone.

The 99c limit was introduced for the introduction of the iphone on pre pay. Yes, maybe they did raise the base rate of 2c per kb back into it but they also made the o2 homepages free to view so there is give and take.

right, so it was 5c per kb, then it dropped to 2, then 1, then they introduced the 99c cap, then they put 1c back up to 2c.

so my statement of "it used to be 1c per kb up to 99c, now it's 2c per kb up to 99c" was 100% correct :D

• Advertisement

well, I would like to see the source material for the OPs quote as this is the first time I have heard of the 1c / kb to 99c max before.

So, I haven't quite conceded so shall we say 50 / 50 for now?

well, I would like to see the source material for the OPs quote as this is the first time I have heard of the 1c / kb to 99c max before.

So, I haven't quite conceded so shall we say 50 / 50 for now?

http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Explore+Services/Services/O2+Mobile+internet/Pricing

i googled the first line of it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭mcguyver

Its on the 02 Wap page on your mobile, if your on o2 its on the very first page on o2.ie on your mobile.

Ok, but I couldn't find where it said 2c / kb to 99c.......

I'll concede I was wrong, if you agree you were too.....:D

Ok, but I couldn't find where it said 2c / kb to 99c.......

I'll concede I was wrong, if you agree you were too.....:D

i admit nothing of the sort!!111!!

if this was South Park, you'd be SERVED... but I can't dance and I look like Cartman so, hey ho...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

O2 are at the ****e as meteor.. :mad:

if this was South Park, you'd be SERVED... but I can't dance and I look like Cartman so, hey ho...

oh it's on biatch! etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭macronot

jmccrohan wrote: »
    O2 are at the ****e as meteor.. :mad:
    Still cheaper over 50meg though :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭mcguyver

Its the exact same price now as meteor

are they not both 2c per kb over 50mb now?

are they not both 2c per kb over 50mb now?
    You're correct, I misread it completely over the 50meg.

You're correct, I misread it completely over the 50meg.

pffft! and you call yourself a mod :rolleyes:

pffft! and you call yourself a mod :rolleyes:
    Banned for 1 week. ;)

Banned for 1 week. ;)

you don't have the Cojones!

Advertisement