Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outer City Bypass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    From the Advertiser report:

Quote:
    “If options with differences in cost of as much as €250m are under consideration, how can these proposals reasonably be seen as a comprehensive appraisal of a 'Transport Project'?

Just as we don’t know how and when the concept of the Outer Bypass disappeared entirely from consideration [acknowledging that European and Supreme Court decisions created major problems for the initial plan], we have no information on what assessment has been done of alternative methods of dealing with local transport issues.

Presumably €250m would make a significant contribution towards a light rail system, and certainly it would pay for very significant improvements in the bus system,” the statement added.
    I'm confused about the first half of the second paragraph above, but otherwise I think the NUIG analysis is spot on. Even the difference between the lower and upper cost estimates for a "bypass" would be enough to transform the traffic and transportation environment of the city (it's ten times Galway City Council's wildly optimistic Smarter Travel bid) yet on that score there is nothing of substance even hinted at yet in the N6GCTP proposals. .

Luas BXD is about 60m per km for an extension. we would get about 4km of track, maybe. Where would you put it? if you closed the streets in the city centre to allow the trams to run, then you'd have even worse traffic.

You'll get the same NIMBY response if a light rail system had to knock buildings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Has anyone got a (link to) a map showing the original route? I'm guessing that it must go through some stuff other than the bog-cotton.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Has anyone got a (link to) a map showing the original route? I'm guessing that it must go through some stuff other than the bog-cotton.

Here's key bit about Bog cotton with suggested route deviation:

gcob-route3.png

We probably have a decent collection of route maps over in Roads forum, have to dig through our GCOB thread, however I see the bould Seán Kyne has this on his own site:

eismap.jpg

That map dates back to before 2006, as it has the M6 down as "proposed".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

dubhthach wrote: »
    Well specifically the red route would be devastating, the blue/pink/yellow river crossing would take out a football pitch, the running track and the astroturf so I can see why he'd be pissed bout that, but it wouldn't actually cause any division in the campus (from an academic point of view)

The credibility of the University and its President is at an all time low anyway. It's a pity they couldn't have broken their usual stance if denying everything and opposing by actually saying which route they support. Just another example of how out of touch they've become over the last few years with Galway.

Just as well we have the "Wayback machine" to recover the scheme website from the clutches of Galway County Council. See:

Brochure:
    http://web.archive.org/web/20071122124903/http://www.galway.ie/en/Services/RoadsTransportation/RoadProjects/n6_outer/N6brochure.pdf

EIS (non technical) dated to 2006 with route options shown:
    http://web.archive.org/web/20071122163614/http://www.galway.ie/en/Services/RoadsTransportation/RoadProjects/n6_outer/EISnontech.pdf

Deposit maps are intersting as they show exact parcels of land that they wanted to CPO for scheme:
    Click on relevant rectangle and you get a PDF showing land parcels for CPO

http://web.archive.org/web/20071122124946/http://www.galway.ie/en/Services/RoadsTransportation/RoadProjects/n6_outer/depmaps.htm

• Advertisement

?Cee?view wrote: »
    The credibility of the University and its President is at an all time low anyway. It's a pity they couldn't have broken their usual stance if denying everything and opposing by actually saying which route they support. Just another example of how out of touch they've become over the last few years with Galway.

Well it's fairly obviously though, the Red route would involve mass demolition not only within the grounds of NUIG but throughout the city, along with massive disruption that would make Newlands Cross upgrade look like a picnic.

I've no option of the President he was off in Industrial Engineering (?) during my day, from what little I heard of him he seem'd competent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

dubhthach wrote: »
    Well it's fairly obviously though, the Red route would involve mass demolition not only within the grounds of NUIG but throughout the city, along with massive disruption that would make Newlands Cross upgrade look like a picnic.

I've no option of the President he was off in Industrial Engineering (?) during my day, from what little I heard of him he seem'd competent enough.

Agreed, but it's a pretty negative stance from an institution which should foster the city's development. Or course the Red route would be a disaster for them, but what about mentioning what they support?

Apparently Browne was a good academic Industrial Engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭SaucySue

It's ironic the people contributing here include some who don't even live in Galway at present,but want this outer bypass built so if/when they do move back they can build a home where they want and work where they want with minimal time spent commuting. Although presumably the bypass shouldn't go right to their door as that might destroy their rural idyll.

Personally,I live and work on the same side of the city and my commute is minimal. If I did move jobs then a longer commute would be something I'd have to consider. Unfortunately the where I live part could soon be out of my hands - despite building on family land,farmed for generations as the city grew around it, I now face potentially having my home demolished. I didn't go and buy a house here knowing it could be on a future bypass route,I built on land I have a real attachment to,close to family,to the school I attended when young,to my community. And I paid the city council €13,000 not so long ago in development fees for "local amenities" for the privilege of doing so. My voice won't count when it comes down to it though,because for all the submissions my neighbours and I make there will be opposing views from home owners on other routes. So at the end of it all,it will as usual be decided by those in power on whom it has no effect whatsoever,or by whatever big business has the most influence. I'll just wait until to April to see if I'll be forced out of my "home for life" that we built and future proofed for an expanding family,for old age,but not for demolition to allow a bypass to convenience others getting back to their homes quicker. Majority rules,all well and good unless you're the minority being trod underfoot.

SaucySue wrote: »
    It's ironic the people contributing here include some who don't even live in Galway at present,but want this outer bypass built so if/when they do move back they can build a home where they want and work where they want with minimal time spent commuting. Although presumably the bypass shouldn't go right to their door as that might destroy their rural idyll.

Personally,I live and work on the same side of the city and my commute is minimal. If I did move jobs then a longer commute would be something I'd have to consider. Unfortunately the where I live part could soon be out of my hands - despite building on family land,farmed for generations as the city grew around it, I now face potentially having my home demolished. I didn't go and buy a house here knowing it could be on a future bypass route,I built on land I have a real attachment to,close to family,to the school I attended when young,to my community. And I paid the city council €13,000 not so long ago in development fees for "local amenities" for the privilege of doing so. My voice won't count when it comes down to it though,because for all the submissions my neighbours and I make there will be opposing views from home owners on other routes. So at the end of it all,it will as usual be decided by those in power on whom it has no effect whatsoever,or by whatever big business has the most influence. I'll just wait until to April to see if I'll be forced out of my "home for life" that we built and future proofed for an expanding family,for old age,but not for demolition to allow a bypass to convenience others getting back to their homes quicker. Majority rules,all well and good unless you're the minority being trod underfoot.

While I have sympathy for your case, and also I wonder why the council didn't protect the proposed routes, but on the other side of the coin, do you refuse to use other infrastructure projects that required the CPO of other peoples houses and land. Any of the motorway network, and probably even a lot of the electricity grid have had to use CPOs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

It is impossible to live further west than Knocknacarra and to commute by public transport to a full-time job in the east of the city.

The first bus from Connemara arrives in Eyre Square at 8.30-8.45, another 30-45 minutes out to Parkmore, for example, and you won't start work until 9.30am. Do your 8.5 hours work until 6pm, by which time the last bus has already left. No wonder everyone in Connemara drives to work/college.

3% of commuting in Galway is by public transport. This is Galway's traffic problem - not a lack of roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭SaucySue

It's not the first roads project that has affected us,we've sold land to the council etc before,so yes I do use some of these routes. I do think though that priority should be given to people's homes over environmental habitats - within reason obviously,but unless an entire species of plant/animal is going to be driven to extinction then I don't believe that is more important than perhaps 100 family homes. I think more time should have been given to consider alternatives and more information provided to home owners involved - to date we have received zero correspondence from,or notification of, the effect of the plans on our home from anyone involved. Not exactly an open and transparent process,where we have to chase them for any information.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

What's the logic behind the red route? Why do they think pushing extra traffic over the qb and up the sqr is a solution to the current problems on this route?

What's the logic behind the red route? Why do they think pushing extra traffic over the qb and up the sqr is a solution to the current problems on this route?

requires the least amount of CPOs i suppose, its mostly on land that is already in use for roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Agreed, but it's a pretty negative stance from an institution which should foster the city's development. Or course the Red route would be a disaster for them, but what about mentioning what they support?

Apparently Browne was a good academic Industrial Engineer.

NUI Galway has had a massive building plan on the go for years. I gather Jim Browne regards it as at least one part of his legacy. Dismantling the Old Boys Network might be another one to aim for, at least in some people's opinion.

NUI Galway has also been a bit of a bell-wether in developing a Mobility Management Plan (aka Travel Plan). Many car-parking spaces have been removed to make way for new buildings, and they put a Park & Ride in place, despite the spluttering indignation of staff and students used to driving door-to-door. A few years ago Jim Browne's car was clamped by students protesting about lack of car parking, which said a lot about their political consciousness at the time (and maybe still does).

Interestingly, one of the main members of the N6 Action Group committee is the NUI Galway Dean of Engineering, and he is outright opposed to a "bypass".

Also interesting, imo, is that another Professor of Engineering (in this case Computational Mechanics) has contributed to this rather ramshackle piece of 'research', churned out by Galway Chamber of Commerce to support its long-standing demand for a "bypass". Even a cursory reading of the "survey" report confirms that what they really really want is a ring-road for car commuters. As if we didn't know that already, for years now.

SaucySue wrote: »
    Majority rules,all well and good unless you're the minority being trod underfoot.

I sympathise with your situation, and I do not believe that a simplistic "majority rules" system is what should be used to decide your fate or the "transport solution" that is ultimately selected. In the present context, the fatal flaw in the "majority rules" approach is that over 70% of commuters currently travel by car. If only half of car commuters were to hypothetically vote for a "bypass", and 100% of non-car-based commuters voted against, the car commuters would still win simply because they are more numerous, not because their case was just or their objectives sustainable. That's why it had to go all the way to the ECJ to confirm that the original GCOB proposal was fatally flawed. Local "democracy" was in favour all along, but they were still proved incorrect. Be careful what you wish for, and vote for.

3% of commuting in Galway is by public transport. This is Galway's traffic problem - not a lack of roads.

The spatial "planning" and transportation policy was always a mess. We had, and still have, two local authorities who can't coordinate their own actions, never mind work together coherently and sustainably. It's only now that there is any overall coordination (eg NTA models being used to inform the N6GCTP deliberations) and I sincerely hope that it will make a positive difference. Both local authorities have waited at least 25 years for a "bypass" to sort out a "planning" and transport mess of their own making, but is it too late?

Lack of reliable and efficient public transport services (and use of same) is a major problem, but so also is the massive infrastructure for fossil-fuel-dependent cars, developed over many decades. There's a reference to "majority rules" above. The fact is that most voters have their main investment in fossil fuel infrastructure, the most obvious one being the mode of transport itself: "why would anyone own a car other than to use it?"

The same "lock-in" situation also applies to the built environment. Perhaps even more so, because the lock-in legacy here is even longer term. Every new housing development built beyond walking distance from local amenities and public transit, every commercial development or school built without adequate public transport links, and every expansion of road infrastructure is based on the availability of abundant energy for private transport (fossil fuels currently, and for the next 10-20 years) and on the assumption that cars will or should dominate.

Why do so many Councillors and TDs insist on a bypass? Why would they give a toss about the relatively few votes to be gleaned from bus users, when even minority support from motorists is numerically superior in the ballot box? When it comes to votes, popularity is what counts, not policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

I sympathise with your situation, and I do not believe that a simplistic "majority rules" system is what should be used to decide your fate or the "transport solution" that is ultimately selected. In the present context, the fatal flaw in the "majority rules" approach is that over 70% of commuters currently travel by car. If only half of car commuters were to hypothetically vote for a "bypass", and 100% of non-car-based commuters voted against, the car commuters would still win simply because they are more numerous, not because their case was just or their objectives sustainable. That's why it had to go all the way to the ECJ to confirm that the original GCOB proposal was fatally flawed. Local "democracy" was in favour all along, but they were still proved incorrect. Be careful what you wish for, and vote for.

The spatial "planning" and transportation policy was always a mess. We had, and still have, two local authorities who can't coordinate their own actions, never mind work together coherently and sustainably. It's only now that there is any overall coordination (eg NTA models being used to inform the N6GCTP deliberations) and I sincerely hope that it will make a positive difference. Both local authorities have waited at least 25 years for a "bypass" to sort out a "planning" and transport mess of their own making, but is it too late?

Lack of reliable and efficient public transport services (and use of same) is a major problem, but so also is the massive infrastructure for fossil-fuel-dependent cars, developed over many decades. There's a reference to "majority rules" above. The fact is that most voters have their main investment in fossil fuel infrastructure, the most obvious one being the mode of transport itself: "why would anyone own a car other than to use it?"

The same "lock-in" situation also applies to the built environment. Perhaps even more so, because the lock-in legacy here is even longer term. Every new housing development built beyond walking distance from local amenities and public transit, every commercial development or school built without adequate public transport links, and every expansion of road infrastructure is based on the availability of abundant energy for private transport (fossil fuels currently, and for the next 10-20 years) and on the assumption that cars will or should dominate.

Why do so many Councillors and TDs insist on a bypass? Why would they give a toss about the relatively few votes to be gleaned from bus users, when even minority support from motorists is numerically superior in the ballot box? When it comes to votes, popularity is what counts, not policy.

Where will your buses start from and who will they cater for, bearing in mind Ordinary Seamus or Siobhan from Connemara who wants and can only work in Galway, what's your solution for him and her ilk!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

crusier wrote: »
    Where will your buses start from and who will they cater for, bearing in mind Ordinary Seamus or Siobhan from Connemara who wants and can only work in Galway, what's your solution for him and her ilk!

If they are going to work then they have no need of their car in the city. They can drive to a park and ride location on the outskirts, park their cars and take a bus, walk or cycle to their final destination.

According to the 2011 census the population of the Connemara electoral area was 39,238. So the taxpayer is being asked to put up 750,000,00/39,238 or EU 19114 for every man, woman and child in Connemara. This is so that Seamus or Siobhan can drive where they want when they want - although when they sought planning permission they likely argued that they were tied to the local area.

At the same time those of us who live in the city are supposed to just suck it up and breath your exhaust fumes?

Perhaps you would like us all to pay for your houses to be fitted with saunas and jacuzzis as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

If they are going to work then they have no need of their car in the city. They can drive to a park and ride location on the outskirts, park their cars and take a bus, walk or cycle to their final destination.

According to the 2011 census the population of the Connemara electoral area was 39,238. So the taxpayer is being asked to put up 750,000,00/39,238 or EU 19114 for every man, woman and child in Connemara. This is so that Seamus or Siobhan can drive where they want when they want - although when they sought planning permission they likely argued that they were tied to the local area.

At the same time those of us who live in the city are supposed to just suck it up and breath your exhaust fumes?

Perhaps you would like us all to pay for your houses to be fitted with saunas and jacuzzis as well?

How about those that have no need to travel into the city to work?
    They just need a way to get from one side of the city to the other.

The problems of low public transport uptake are that they don't serve the needs of most people, if they did, you might get a greater uptake.

Where's the park and ride on the west of the city, bearing in mind the majority of work is on the east of the city. Your answer stinks of 'well I'm alright jack, **** them out there". You think nothing of coming out west and using it and a playground, as I said earlier we might as well hang a gate in busypark and throw bread over it to feed those out west. So much for and equal society. You are clearly of the bog cotton before people party!

NUI Galway has had a massive building plan on the go for years. I gather Jim Browne regards it as at least one part of his legacy. Dismantling the Old Boys Network might be another one to aim for, at least in some people's opinion.

NUI Galway has also been a bit of a bell-wether in developing a Mobility Management Plan (aka Travel Plan). Many car-parking spaces have been removed to make way for new buildings, and they put a Park & Ride in place, despite the spluttering indignation of staff and students used to driving door-to-door. A few years ago Jim Browne's car was clamped by students protesting about lack of car parking, which said a lot about their political consciousness at the time (and maybe still does).

Interestingly, one of the main members of the N6 Action Group committee is the NUI Galway Dean of Engineering, and he is outright opposed to a "bypass".

Also interesting, imo, is that another Professor of Engineering (in this case Computational Mechanics) has contributed to this rather ramshackle piece of 'research', churned out by Galway Chamber of Commerce to support its long-standing demand for a "bypass". Even a cursory reading of the "survey" report confirms that what they really really want is a ring-road for car commuters. As if we didn't know that already, for years now.

Nearly all of the planned expansion for university predates Browne, those buildings were all on development plan when I was in university ). As for Dean of Engineering it should be pointed out he isn't a Civil Engineer, of course from my time in IT he seemed fairly competent at what he was doing -- then again after 10 years in IT business I can say that most IT academics are away with the fairies compared to what goes on in Industry ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

crusier wrote: »
    Where's the park and ride on the west of the city, bearing in mind the majority of work is on the east of the city. Your answer stinks of 'well I'm alright jack, **** them out there". You think nothing of coming out west and using it and a playground, as I said earlier we might as well hang a gate in busypark and throw bread over it to feed those out west. So much for and equal society. You are clearly of the bog cotton before people party!

Well I would put western P&Rs somewhere on the Moycullen Rd and somewhere outside Barna. And from them I would have regular services to 1) the city centre and 2) the east-side industrial estates.

I'm sure that with mobile apps etc, we could be clever enough these days to let people book their rides to and from the P&R, so that the system could be flexible to adapt to the actual shift patterns etc in workplaces.

And when we hang that gate at Bushypark, I won't even be throwing bread over it: if you're going to live in rural areas (where they do, like, farming) you should be self-sufficient for food! :)

Well I would put western P&Rs somewhere on the Moycullen Rd and somewhere outside Barna. And from them I would have regular services to 1) the city centre and 2) the east-side industrial estates.

I'm sure that with mobile apps etc, we could be clever enough these days to let people book their rides to and from the P&R, so that the system could be flexible to adapt to the actual shift patterns etc in workplaces.

And when we hang that gate at Bushypark, I won't even be throwing bread over it: if you're going to live in rural areas (where they do, like, farming) you should be self-sufficient for food! :)

Oh! We're all farmers out there, if we were self sufficient we wouldn't be driving to town to make a living!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

requires the least amount of CPOs i suppose, its mostly on land that is already in use for roads.

Actually I believe it requires the most CPOs, those roads have buildings around them that need to be demolished to expand the roads and junctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Because that's how Democracy works.
    Unpopular policy isn't going to get you elected.
    The people want their cars and they will elect the representatives to ensure that happens.

Every new housing development built beyond walking distance from local amenities and public transit, every commercial development or school built without adequate public transport links,

Moving business and retail outlets further outside the city is ideal for removing congestion from the city. Living in a rural area and commuting to an industrial estate away from a city is much better than one close to a city as there is no traffic problems and also no problem in providing plenty of parking outside the door. Same for retail outlets, build them outside the citys and they are much easier to get into and out off especially for those travelling to them from country areas.

Of course popularity is what counts, why shouldn't policy's being implemented in a way that the majority want? That's how the world works.

I hate the idea of park and ride, its the worst of both worlds. You drive to a point and then have to wait for a bus to drop you most likely a distance away from your work place meaning you have walking to do (possibly in bad weather) and after a days work you cant have a pint or do a big shopping in town. Also what if you need to go somewhere during the day or need to go to another destination after work.

Its not your city to do as you please just because you dont drive around it, drivers are and should continue to be as entitled to drive into the city and work or do other business as you are to walk around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

I assume that's a joke because if it isn't, you're clueless.

Moving business and retail outlets further outside the city is ideal for removing congestion from the city. Living in a rural area and commuting to an industrial estate away from a city is much better than one close to a city as there is no traffic problems and also no problem in providing plenty of parking outside the door. Same for retail outlets, build them outside the citys and they are much easier to get into and out off especially for those travelling to them from country areas.

Of course popularity is what counts, why shouldn't policy's being implemented in a way that the majority want? That's how the world works.

I hate the idea of park and ride, its the worst of both worlds. You drive to a point and then have to wait for a bus to drop you most likely a distance away from your work place meaning you have walking to do (possibly in bad weather) and after a days work you cant have a pint or do a big shopping in town. Also what if you need to go somewhere during the day or need to go to another destination after work.

Its not your city to do as you please just because you dont drive around it, drivers are and should continue to be as entitled to drive into the city and work or do other business as you are to walk around it.

That post reads like an Irish planner's/road engineer's/Councillor's/TD's CV/manifesto. :)

That post reads like an Irish planner's/road engineer's/Councillor's/TD's CV/manifesto. :)

And not like a bog cotton, bike pushing, snail loveing objection!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

Have you ever used a park and ride service?

I lived in a city in England with a very successful park and ride system. Everyone who lived outside the city used it. You parked and bought a ticket which was considerably less than city centre parking rates, never any problem finding a parking space, bus every 10 minutes during peak times into city centre and every 15mins otherwise from 6am - 7pm.

All major routes into centre had their own dedicated park-and-ride and had only 1 or 2 stops on the way which were outside major employment centres (e.g hospital, university, business park)

Driving the same distance at peak times in a private car meant sitting in traffic for 30-45mins, bus took about 10mins via dedicated bus lanes, and it impossible to find city centre parking space which cost a fortune when you did find a space.

You would have been crazy not to use it.

As for not being able to go for a drink, that's no difference if you brought the car all the way into the city centre, and being unable to do a "big shop"? If you mean a weeks groceries, does anyone really buy a weeks groceries in Dunnes in the Eyre Square Centre and carry it all back to the Dyke road car park anyway? If you need to go somewhere during the day or need to go to another destination after work then you get the bus back to your car which is quicker and cheaper than driving into the city centre anyway.

After living there and moving to Galway almost 10yrs ago, I have to say I was incredulous at the lack of park and rides in Galway at that stage and the lack of joined up public transport thinking in Galway in general (e.g the lack of cross town services, all services via eyre square, infrequency of services, lack of night services etc.) But I think Im beginning to understand the Irish/West of Ireland/Galway sentiment as epitomised by your post. Or maybe I'm being unfair - is it just a density of population thing?

• Advertisement

My beef with anti bypass folks is "what about non person vehicular traffic from West of Galway that is travelling East of Galway City?"

In this day and age, if I am passing a town and don't need to enter the town, I don't need to enter it with my big truck.

Athlone, Kinnegad, Enfield.

All were traffic choke points.

All were bypassed.

All are far more navigable, far more cyclable, far more liveable nowadays.

Why should Galway be any different?

We have a 6km (as crow flies) stretch of river where we can bridge. We need to bridge it for non Galway traffic.

We need roads from either side to feed this bridge with non-city traffic.

It's been 20 years. Enough is enough. Get it built.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement