Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outer City Bypass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

"Hands Across The Corrib" - WTF is that all about?

If a new bridge is built I hope little sh1ts don't go jumping off that too - I nearly had some eejit land in my boat the last day... that would have been some painful landing for him

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Are they hippies/environmentalists or plain old NIMBYs?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Hands are only bog standard dangan/menlo NIMBYs with green packaging .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

'Hands across the Corrib' - WTF!

Dang draft dodging peace freaks.

Bring back the National Service I say, that'd sort em out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

They've even got the name wrong. Hands Across The Corrib to me implies a bridge of some sort.

I reckon everyone should just go out with shovels and start building it regardless. Get people together one weekend and make a start on it. It'd be quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Anyone hear any update on this? I've seen the pieces in the Advertiser and the Times this morning, but interested to know how it went today in the Commerical Court.

An O'Brolchain apologist (the ex councillor, ex Mayor) was recently saying on another thread that there's no way that this road could now be economically viable. Interesting therefore to see that the N17 CPO costs have now plumetted in just over two years, so if the CPO costs are comparable on this project, now is really the time to get building the bypass while the land is waaay cheaper!

http://www.galwaynews.ie/8015-n17-cpo-land-values-halved

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Agh, same fecking serial objectors always causing problems.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭nerophis

Someone was saying it's not because of bogs- which there must be at least three or maybe even four acres of within Galway County but because there's an area of limestone like the burren in the path. There's a lot less of that sort of stuff and if that's the reason couldn't the NRA just go around that bit of land?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

nerophis wrote: »
    Someone was saying it's not because of bogs- which there must be at least three or maybe even four acres of within Galway County but because there's an area of limestone like the burren in the path. There's a lot less of that sort of stuff and if that's the reason couldn't the NRA just go around that bit of land?

The Western section was rejected by An Bord Pleanala because of some sort of protected bog cotton that would be destroyed. A new route or some sort of solution will have to be found for this section

I think Peter Sweetman is objecting to the Eastern section because there is some special limestone that it might have a slight impact on.
    An Bord Pleanala and Galway City and County Councils argue that the impact on the limestone will be very minimal and that the impact would not be nearly big enough to warrant stopping such a vital piece of infrastructure that will improve the quality of life of tens of thousands of people going ahead.

Hands Across the Corrib, from what I gather, basically don't want the road built because they live near it. Extremely selfish? Yes, I think so

Of course they could go around it, or go over it - elevate it over the limestone area with minimal damage.

How do Italy (e.g. Rome) or Greece (e.g. Athens) have modern road infrastructures? In both countries I've toured ancient monuments, perfectly preserved, with modern infrastructure built nearby. It seems that its only in Ireland that archaeology, flora and fauna are used as justificiations to stop any development. Surely with a bit of imagination, both can coexist.

In Germany (Heidelberg), there's a road which a particular breed of frog cross for approx. two weeks every year. They have people directing the traffic (letting the frogs) across for those two weeks. No, I'm not making this up - I've seen it and it works. In Ireland, the road just wouldn't be built, and the objectors when they'd succeeded in stopping the road would soon forget the poor frogs :D

Rant over (for now!)

• Advertisement

I was thinking that they could maybe build the Western section elevated (up on stilts) and it would destroy only a fraction of the bog cotton then. Not sure how easy or difficult that would be over a bog but I'm sure it could be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Feck the road. I think would should do the same thing as Ogdenville or Northhaverbrook.

There's nothing on earth like a genuine, bona fide, electrified, six car monorail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭nerophis

Who'd ever of heard about those places without the monorail? :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Is there a chance the road could bend?

Not on your life my serially objecting friend.

KevR wrote: »
    I was thinking that they could maybe build the Western section elevated (up on stilts) and it would destroy only a fraction of the bog cotton then. Not sure how easy or difficult that would be over a bog but I'm sure it could be done.

Because that would cost an absolute fortune :D

What still annoys me more than anything about this whole fiasco is that Hands have only decided to moan about the road, they havent said a word about the free for all sprawl that went on in Knocknacarra, nor would they utter a peep if someone wanted to build an estate on the same Bog Cotton where the Outer Bypass should be.

To mr Sweetman, Bog Cotton is nothing like old stained Glass.:rolleyes:

galwayrush wrote: »
    To mr Sweetman, Bog Cotton is nothing like old stained Glass.:rolleyes:

What?

churchview wrote: »
    What?

He made an argument in court that if we had a lot of old stained glass in the county, does that mean that it would be ok to destroy 10% of it, saying that destroying a little of the bog cotton was like destroying something as valuable as the stained glass..:rolleyes:

Lets not mention the fact that stained grass does not grow.

• Advertisement

Lets not mention the fact that stained grass does not grow.

Very good point, Bog Cotton however grows rather easily on our numerous Bogs and is in no way endangered.:rolleyes: Self appointed Serial Objector Sweetman doesn't even live in Galway anymore, just who the feck does he think he represents.:confused:

Has anyone heard anything about the current court case? All I can find online is Irish Time's articles from last Thursday and Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Tellin ye folks, just build an underground... problem solved!! :D

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Tellin ye folks, just build an underground... problem solved!! :D

There's no way you could do that. Think of the worms? The lesser spotted Irish flatworm is an endangered species which only lives under river beds in the West of Ireland.

churchview wrote: »
    Has anyone heard anything about the current court case? All I can find online is Irish Time's articles from last Thursday and Friday.

Haven't heard anything come to think of it. How long was the court case supposed to last for? A week?

You would have thought that there would have been more news by now..

Is was said that it was going to last six days

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Peter Sweetman has concluded his challenge to the State and An Bord Pleanála over the outer city bypass. Judgement on the hearing has been reserved.
    Meanwhile a second action against the Bord began this week by environmental organisation Hands Across The Corrib Ltd, of Ballinfoyle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 almasy

This bog cotton thing is such a joke. I can't really see why the full by-pass can't go ahead. Are there some influential nimby's living out there who don't want this road running by their properties. I'm sure there are a few exclusive gaffes along the route.

A city needs infrastruture or it will choke. I drove into Dundrum, Dublin to a friends place the other weekend and couldn't believe how painless it was. I live in Westside and it can be struggle getting there at times.

What will happen in Galway is they will wait until the situation becomes completely intolerable with everyone sitting in their cars for hours. Then it will be a case of f*ck this bog cotton and whoevers house is on the route and the job will eventually get done. But why wait until then?

And this notion that you shouldn't build a bridge across a river beside a city becuase it will spoil the view. Gimme a break! If we took that attitude all the time nothing would ever get built. It's like, what a shame they built all that stuff around the Seine - that Paris is so horrible, wouldn't a bunch of fields have been so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Personally I have no problem whatsoever with preservation and agree with it wholeheartedly, especially when considering my complete lack of faith in those in charge of planning these projects.

Bring in the Germans, let them design/plan and then at least the end product may/will justify destroying a percentage of the cotton.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The 'reasoned opinion' will be issued later this month. This is given by an Advocate General ( a lawyer in the middle not for or against) and the Judges normally follow the reasoned opinion.

The long nightmare may soon be over. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement