Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outer City Bypass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Why can they not put a tunnel under the Corrib like they have done in Limerick, its only a few hundred feet wide and would avoid al the hassle .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Why can they not put a tunnel under the Corrib like they have done in Limerick, its only a few hundred feet wide and would avoid al the hassle .
    Because it would be more expensive and unnecessary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

snubbleste wrote: »
    GCC CEO Brendan McGrath was on the wireless last week and said there are 80,000+ vehicles crossing the four bridges daily and that GCC have 50 scientists working full time on the bogs issue in order to progress with the bypass Galway Transport Solution, as it is now called.

Fifty scientists? Wow.

How do they travel to work, I wonder?

And how many "scientists" are working on actual transport solutions, which is supposedly the problem being studied?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

What are the five alternative corridors?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    What are the five alternative corridors?

Essentially due diligence. The original proposals in 2001/2 had 4 separate routes east of the river with 3 west of the river.

There's also a PT only proposal & a proposal to upgrade the existing N6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭happysunnydays

Am I missing something with that red option? Why would they even bother with that mess? Sure its still bringing all the traffic into the city travelling at 50kph, are the thinking of the real future or just 10 years from now? Has to be blue or green.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Am I missing something with that red option? Why would they even bother with that mess? Sure its still bringing all the traffic into the city travelling at 50kph, are the thinking of the real future or just 10 years from now? Has to be blue or green.

That's exactly what I was thinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Not much detail on the various routes - but it's something I guess
    http://www.n6galwaycity.ie/phase-2/public-consultation-number-2-display-graphics/

I doubt very much the Public Consultation No 2 will have much more information based than that from the above link based on the info that was provided in the Public Consultation No 1

• Advertisement

Green is nonsensical as well. It seems to be deliberately designed to require the demolition of as many houses as possible on the eastern side of the river. You'd almost think that someone approached it with the thought: "So you were worried about a motorway spoiling the view near Menlo Castle? Let's see how you like it when we plough a motorway straight through the village and demolish most of the remaining thatched cottages within Galway city limits instead."

This is the same as when the government leaks that Local Property Tax will be €3,000 per house so that when they announce that the actual rate averages 'only' €600 people will breath a sigh of relief rather than fighting it.

Here there will be a big protest against the most destructive options so that the local authority can make a big performance of backing down and present the option they actually wanted all along as a reasonable compromise. That will be the blue option for the most part but possibly using one of the other options at the western end to spare Barna as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Hmm I wish there was a more detailed view of the exact locations of the Blue route joining the R336?

This route (although it makes more sense that the others) will likely involve a family members, or very close to their, property from the location given on the documents.

Think I will be attending the consultation meeting on their behalf.

Green is nonsensical as well. It seems to be deliberately designed to require the demolition of as many houses as possible on the eastern side of the river.

No, it's been designed to minimize the impact on the various ecological sites in the area - which cover most of the area in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

The blue runs right through Galway race course...

As said, it seems they're throwing in the mad suggestions so that the end chosen one doesn't seem so bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

MBSnr wrote: »
    The blue runs right through Galway race course...

As said, it seems they're throwing in the mad suggestions so that the end chosen one doesn't seem so bad...

It goes under the race course through a tunnel.

The blue route seems like the only realistic one.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

dloob wrote: »
    It goes under the race course through a tunnel.

How do you know that?
    I can't tell it just from the map.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rowr

Green route looks like the obivious choice by miles even though they 'said' there is no preferred route. It's basically a modified version of the last agreed route without the enviromental concerns being an issue.

How do you know that?
    I can't tell it just from the map.
    The City Tribune article mentioned it.

• Advertisement

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    The blue route seems like the only realistic one.
    Reading the more detailed notes MBSnr just linked to it seems like pink is the same as blue with just a slight variation at the eastern end. Having two alternatives be so similar might suggest one or the other is the preferred option.

MBSnr wrote: »

Google / Bing maps aerial photo view will be useful as well to get a bit of context.

I can't help but think there's something not quite right green route. It appears to be cutting straight through the racecourse stables. I thought that was supposed to be a tunnel (from the interview given last week), but it's indicated as a surface level road on document 6a (the first link above).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

antoobrien wrote: »
    Google / Bing maps aerial photo view will be useful as well to get a bit of context.

I can't help but think there's something not quite right green route. It appears to be cutting straight through the racecourse stables. I thought that was supposed to be a tunnel (from the interview given last week), but it's indicated as a surface level road on document 6a (the first link above).

Must be a mistake - The green route has to be a tunnel there same as the Pink/Blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Storm 10 wrote: »

That's the Orange option.

http://www.n6galwaycity.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/PC2_Board-6b-Possible-Road-Component-of-the-Ransport-Solution-Sheet-1-of-2.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rowr

I'd imagine the cost and scale of that tunnel would be restricting the orange option

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Where have all the doo gooders gone? What about the snails?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Why don't they just call it the "Galway City Rainbow Study" ? :D

The proposal is to start just east of Barna village, go slightly Northwest before cutting east to connect to WDR. From there there would be a tunnel from just after the Clybaun Rd to just before the set of lights at Glen Dara (I think). Then there would be a cut & cover along SQR to the QB. After the bridge there would be a viaduct (raised roadway) from the bridge, cutting through Dun Na Coiribe & Dunnes/Terryland Retail Park to somewhere along BNT. At this stage they'd put in another cut and cover section along the current N6 route - through the Tuam rd & Ballybane junctions - to the racecourse dual carriageway. From here it would be on the surface for a bit before another cut & cover straight through the Briarhill junction (i.e. no swing to thr right to stay on the current N6), cutting close the the houses in Coolough village to rejoin the N6 alignment.

That looks like a serious dotting i's and crossing t's job.

I don't understand the reasoning behind the red route. I know they've changed the name, but I thought the idea is that this development would be a by-pass, and importantly there would be another route over the river Corrib.

Surely the dog on the street can see that building the red route would have disastrous consequences for the city, given our past and current experience with the SQR?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

They did not include my idea :mad:

PKQt8hgl.png?3

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement