Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Booing your own team ?

• 02-12-2008 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭

Booing your own team, is it all part and parcel of the game or is it a lack of support for your club ? Some people would argue they paid their money for tickets and they can do as they like, players are paid enough etc. The counter argument might be that you should support your club through thick and thin.

I think turning on your own team should only be a last resort when the players don't care and aren't trying and can be seen to not try over a few games.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I personally cannot imagine myself booing at the end of a Liverpool match if I was at Anfield. But on the other hand, as an internet warrior I would find it a bit rich criticising via keyboard anyone who sat in near sub zero temperatures last night (I presume you are referencing the West Ham match) watching a string of 30 yard blasts into row Z as the "statement of intent" that people expected to go 3 points clear. I'm sure if you asked 95% of booers this morning why they booed and did they regret it, I reckon most would say it was just a moment of reaction and that for the other 90 minutes the match was actually on they were singing and cheering as best they could.

I think booing individuals (manager or players) is not on, but booing performances ... hmmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Fans booing their own team is, for me, ridiculous.
    Understandable at clubs like Newcastle at the start of the season with the Keegan fiasco, but I wouldnt boo the players, that's more at the board.
    All booing the players is going to do is turn them against you and most likely put them off their performance, meaning they'll play worse, and you'll end up booing them even more.
    I'd never boo at my own team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I'm a Liverpool fan and couldn't see myself ever booing the team or the manager (especially not Rafa). However, i believe any paying fan is well within their rights to do so.
    But despite how poor we were last night, i thought the fans were wrong to boo the team off. I can't remember the last time we were top of the league after 15 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

spockety wrote: »
    I personally cannot imagine myself booing at the end of a Liverpool match if I was at Anfield. But on the other hand, as an internet warrior I would find it a bit rich criticising via keyboard anyone who sat in near sub zero temperatures last night (I presume you are referencing the West Ham match) watching a string of 30 yard blasts into row Z as the "statement of intent" that people expected to go 3 points clear. I'm sure if you asked 95% of booers this morning why they booed and did they regret it, I reckon most would say it was just a moment of reaction and that for the other 90 minutes the match was actually on they were singing and cheering as best they could.

I think booing individuals (manager or players) is not on, but booing performances ... hmmm.

Last night did bring it to mind but I think last night was more a quick frustrated effort rather than for example England being booed off one game even at half time and cheered the next game. Saying that I haven't booed my team. This was not a dig at Liverpool and shouldn't be about Liverpool, plenty of other clubs get boos after a result which isn't an expected one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,106 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

in very extreme circumstances it could be acceptable i guess. One potential one that warrented it was the way Spurs played this year under ramos. So many players just clearly couldn't give a fuk during that period, put in very half assed effort which was even more noticeable by the change when Harry came in. Before he had time to change tactics or anything, there was an immediate massive improvement in temperment and effort.

Players having bad games on the other hand, like at Liverpool last night, dont deserve to be boo'd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

For simply not winning, no booing imo.

However, it is clear that the group of players simply aren't putting the effort in, boo away.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Players having bad games on the other hand, like at Liverpool last night, dont deserve to be boo'd.

I tend to agree, however I think a lot of people just thought "FFS, that is the second week in a row when we failed to crucify relegation fodder and go clear at the top". I think taken on it's own the West Ham result wouldn't have been booed if it was in the middle of a set of good results, or if Liverpool weren't at the top end of the table. After all, the performance wasn't atrocious, it just wasn't good enough.

The players bottled it over the two matches against Fulham and West Ham, simple as that. Whether it's down to themselves as individuals, or down to the coaching, I don't know, but if Liverpool are serious about the league this season, it has to be acknowledged that right now they should be 5 points clear of Chelsea, not 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

If the players put in a below par performance on a consistent basis, boo them til your throat is sore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Never have, never would.

If the players play shit or bottle it then they know it themselves and don't need 40,000 people on their backs. Let the manager tear strips off them afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Even under the dark days of Roddy Collins managing Rovers, I wouldn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Booing your own team is unacceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

True fans do not boo, ever.

I've been to walkovers, bad defeats, terrible displays and terrific ones and I would never, ever boo.

Liverpool are top of the league for the first time in yeasrs. In addition they didn't lose. A draw against poor opposiiton -so what. Chelsea lost this weekend- I didn't see their fans booing.

The minority of Liverpool fans who boo-ed last night are laughable.

Extremely laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Start 'em young I say :pac:

true-football-fan.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Unless you have incontrovertible evidence that they've thrown the game, never.

There is a sort of fake hard-core fan thing that says it's proper to boo a team that's not doing the job. I don't buy it. I will happily boo opposition hatchet men, though, or the ref if he is ignoring their antics, because it is one real way to affect the game.

I will happily boo Alan Kelly on almost any occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I've booed my own team before, I've even chanted "you're not fit to wear the shirt".

If you see your team (Three of which were record signings at the time) put in less than 50% effort in a division1 relegation scrap on the penultimate game of the season then you would understand.

I'm not proud of it, but wtf are fans supposed to do?

Bad performances I can handle, apathy I cannot.

SectionF wrote: »
    I will happily boo Alan Kelly on almost any occasion.

Much better to slag his hair or fake tan though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Booing a team, except in the most unbelieveable of circumstances, is a **** thing to do.

anyone who boo-ed last night is a disgrace to Liverpool football club.

Two draws on the trot is not even nearly an excuse. We're top of the league for **** sake.

Also worth noting a certain Mr Gillette was in attendance last night, perhaps next time Rafa goes through any sort of rough patch, the boos last night will falsely lead him to belief that there is a considerable portion of the support who want Rafa gone & it could make any possible decision he may face-easier.

Anyway, call me the fan police or whatever, but anyone who booed last night is a ****ing miserable excuse for a fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Its understandable when you are paying £30+ for a ticket and seeing your team not only getting beat but just not performing even the slighest. The fans are paying their wages so they should be getting a good service in return. It doesn't bother me when we get beat 5-0 or whatever, what bothers me is getting beat 5-0 and not seeing a single player put in any effort and just look like they can't be bothered.

Booing is the fans way of complaining. If you hired a painter to paint your house and he did a crap job you are gonna complain.

(couldn't think of any other examples but you get the point)

I love the sense of smug emanating from this thread

"Look how great a fan I am, and by extension what a great person I am, because I never boo my team".
    True fans do not boo, ever.

Define a true fan please. Someone who goes to all games home and away? Someone who goes to all home games and some away games? Someone who only goes to home games? Someone who goes to the occassional game, but does not boo? Or someone who follows a team by Sky Correspondence?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Don't mind a little goading of lazy or otherwise annoying players. On the whole, it's just counter-productive though. I think players can get savaged too much for bad form, especially in the LOI. I fail to see how it helps a young player who is low in confidence.

I have abused people like Ian Harte in the past though.

glenjamin wrote: »
    Its understandable when you are paying £30+ for a ticket and seeing your team not only getting beat but just not performing even the slighest. The fans are paying their wages so they should be getting a good service in return. It doesn't bother me when we get beat 5-0 or whatever, what bothers me is getting beat 5-0 and not seeing a single player put in any effort and just look like they can't be bothered.

Booing is the fans way of complaining. If you hired a painter to paint your house and he did a crap job you are gonna complain.

(couldn't think of any other examples but you get the point)

you're looking at football the wrong way.

you are looking at it like a commodity-a service being provided for you. like a play, or circus or some such.

imo, thats not wat it is, its more like a relationship you enter with a woman.....some days it'll be great, some days it'll be bad, you gotta take the highs with the lows....if you are unhappy too often, or disappointed you try and work out your issues with your partner, if you cant do that......then you break up, at no point do you boo her cause she isnt making you happy enough.

Mr Alan wrote: »

imo, thats not wat it is, its more like a relationship you enter with a woman.....some days it'll be great, some days it'll be bad, you gotta take the highs with the lows....if you are unhappy too often, or disappointed you try and work out your issues with your partner, if you cant do that......then you break up, at no point do you boo her cause she isnt making you happy enough.

So you have never booed your missus for a poor performance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

"Son, a woman is like a beer. They smell good, they look good, you'd step over your own mother just to get one! But you can't stop at one. You wanna drink another woman!"

gimmick wrote: »
    So you have never booed your missus for a poor performance?

He doesn't have a missus

lol, thanks for sharing that nugget Des! :)

you're looking at football the wrong way.

you are looking at it like a commodity-a service being provided for you. like a play, or circus or some such.

its not a case of bad performances, my point is about lack of effort. If those fans are paying someone's wages who can't even be arsed to break into a sweat then they have every right to make their displeasure known.

fans love players who put an effort in, no matter how bad they are, but why should they tolerate lazy bastards?

its not a case of bad performances, my point is about lack of effort. If those fans are paying someone's wages who can't even be arsed to break into a sweat then they have every right to make their displeasure known.

fans love players who put an effort in, no matter how bad they are, but why should they tolerate lazy bastards?

"make their displeasure known."-phone ins/internet etc etc. not in the ground imo, except in extreme cases.

Des wrote: »
    He doesn't have a missus

So its a flawed analysis so :D

Re the subject matter, I don't see the issue. Your team plays awful, they get booed as a team. Its diffeent for individual players, that I do not condone. I think it can work as a wake up call to players many times. I have seen City been booed off at half time many a time only to out for a barnstorming 2nd half.

• Advertisement

except in extreme cases.

Like drawing two games ina row and going top of the league

perfect time to boo, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Not always true, Fred. Dunno about Pompey, but some players just never win over certain parts of the crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Define a true fan please. Someone who goes to all games home and away? Someone who goes to all home games and some away games? Someone who only goes to home games? Someone who goes to the occassional game, but does not boo? Or someone who follows a team by Sky Correspondence?

That's easy.

A true fan is someone who SUPPORTS their team, through the Bad times as well as the good times. They're the fan that stays to the end of the game even when their team is being crushed. They are the people who think that the team does not OWE them anything for their support. I don't care if you go to every game or none, if you have tattoo of the crest down your back. A TRUE fan is someone that picks themselves up after a terrible season and says, "well maybe next year"

I've been to enough games and been frustrated by stupid plays, passes and players, bad decisions, dodgy refs. But that's the heat of the moment. To boo your team off the pitch is a dishonour and disrespect I could not even imagine. It's a conscious, decision to say, You're Useless and I think you are rubbish. With my team, even when they are uselsess and rubbish I'll still support them.

Liverpool fans have had a long time in the wilderness, and the night their team goes top, some sections boo the players off. What must that feel like. You're first in the league BOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Those are not true fans. Hell, I don't even support Liverpool.

I think you misunderstood me. I disagree with people booing their team just because they've lost for the first time in like 10 games, or booing just because they've dropped a couple of points but are still top of the league. When your team has lost 5 on the bounce I think you should be entitled to voice your frustrations.

Like drawing two games ina row and going top of the league

perfect time to boo, imo.

we're lucky the stadium wasnt burnt to the ground! :p

goog post Mr Ingognito......i was starting to lose faith in ya, but you've won me back ;)

• Advertisement

picks themselves up after a terrible season and says, "well maybe next year"

But there were Liverpool fans booing the other night.

ba dum tish

I think it can work as a wake up call to players many times. I have seen City been booed off at half time many a time only to out for a barnstorming 2nd half.

I agree. Don't know if any of you remember when that Boro fan who threw his season ticket at McClaren during the thumping from Villa at home. This was the wake up call we had been waiting. We went on to make the UEFA Cup final, FA Cup semi and then Macca got the England job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Xavi6 wrote: »
    "Son, a woman is like a beer. They smell good, they look good, you'd step over your own mother just to get one! But you can't stop at one. You wanna drink another woman!"

I was more thinking:

"You know, supporting a football team is like making love to a beautiful woman....."

:)

any Fast Show fans...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Someone who goes to a reasonable number of games, as circumstances allow, and offers positive moral support for the team as well as financial support for the club. It's not that hard.
    Booing your team off is just spoilt brat venting and is simply not grown up behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I don't think I've ever booed them , as I see it I'm a supporter , there to support them , of course it can be frustrating I suppose I'm lucky as this season there has been only one game where the team havent been giving their best.

Also in many players cases booing them is counter-productive , Doesn't stop lots of people in the main stand getting at players with snide comments and tut tutting if they do something wrong , I don't think any player goes out to play badly so I always try to encourage them.

Hang on a sec gustavo.

I'll often be heard uttering the odd "THE JAYSIS WAS THAT FFS!!" if a player plays a bad pass.

This isn't the same as booing.

glenjamin wrote: »
    I agree. Don't know if any of you remember when that Boro fan who threw his season ticket at McClaren during the thumping from Villa at home. This was the wake up call we had been waiting. We went on to make the UEFA Cup final, FA Cup semi and then Macca got the England job.

Tell me the Boro fans name, I want to kill him :D
    Booing a team, except in the most unbelieveable of circumstances, is a **** thing to do.

anyone who boo-ed last night is a disgrace to Liverpool football club.

Two draws on the trot is not even nearly an excuse. We're top of the league for **** sake.

Also worth noting a certain Mr Gillette was in attendance last night, perhaps next time Rafa goes through any sort of rough patch, the boos last night will falsely lead him to belief that there is a considerable portion of the support who want Rafa gone & it could make any possible decision he may face-easier.

Anyway, call me the fan police or whatever, but anyone who booed last night is a ****ing miserable excuse for a fan

That just smacks of prima donna football fans behaving like spoilt brats to be honest.
    "make their displeasure known."-phone ins/internet etc etc. not in the ground imo, except in extreme cases.

A bit like sitting a naughty child down time after time and having a deep and meaningful chat with them? sometimes they just need a good clip round the ear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Hang on a sec gustavo.

I'll often be heard uttering the odd "THE JAYSIS WAS THAT FFS!!" if a player plays a bad pass.

This isn't the same as booing.
    fair enough

:(

Shoudl have read the thread more before letting loose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

In my opinion it's acceptable to boo in certain cirumstances in order to send a message. Case in point, the latter stages of the Stan era. Keeping your mouth shut about those unacceptable performances would have been counter-productive and so booing out of frustration, anger etc. was justifiable in my view.

I do think Liverpool fans booing the performance last night is a bit OTT though considering where they are placed in the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I've never booed my own team.

The closest I've come is that when Bray lost 3-1 to Longford in 2007. It was probably the worst performance from us that I ever saw (although a few ones from this year came close). At the end of the match, I couldn't bring myself to applaud them off the pitch. I just stood there in silence.

I've never been so annoyed/upset with Bray to boo them though. That said I can't say that I definitely wouldn't.

I think if you are pissed off with your team, you have a right, as a paying customer, to complain about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I booed once. After the Ireland-Cyprus game. And I fear, from reading Delaney's comments, if we didn't boo after that Stan would still be in the job.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    I booed once. After the Ireland-Cyprus game. And I fear, from reading Delaney's comments, if we didn't boo after that Stan would still be in the job.
    What struck me as ridiculous at that match was all the Ireland fans who cheered...when Ireland equalised...in the 90-somethingth minute...against Cyprus.

Morons.

A Bray fan?

Fair play to you Jack, I have a little soft spot for Wanderers

A Bray fan?

Fair play to you Jack, I have a little soft spot for Wanderers
    Cheers Des.

Would it have anything to do with bottling a two-nil lead against yez, twice, in 2006?

• Advertisement
Advertisement