Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Booing your own team ?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Would it have anything to do with bottling a two-nil lead against yez, twice, in 2006?

that was a great night toward the end of that season, I think Crowe got the winner. :D

But no, it's since before that.

Cemented fairly recently too, as the missus is from Bray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Xavi6 wrote: »
    "Son, a woman is like a beer. They smell good, they look good, you'd step over your own mother just to get one! But you can't stop at one. You wanna drink another woman!"

"The winner will be showered with praise; the loser will be taunted and booed until my throat is sore!" - H.Simpson

I think it is ok to boo your team if the chairman and manager are running the club their way and ignoring your expert letters, phonecalls and voiciforous shouting on matchday. However in return players/board should be allowed come in your place of work (or in the case of Liverpool/Celtic supporters - your weekly place in line at the post office) and criticise your current performance level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

As this is quite topical at the moment, and there is a thread already, i wanted to know have peoples views changed any, and what their opinion of what has become almost fashionable booing in the English premier Division.

Just to echo my earlier thoughts, I neevr have, and never will boo an individual player who plays for my team. Mybe a few FFSs in his direction and a groan when he gets the ball, but no bile. If the team under achieves or just play crap, I boo them as a team.

Seems that in England (that I am aware of), every Premier Division team, bar Stoke, apparently, the boo boys are becoming ever more vocal - the most surprising of which, for me, is that of Gabby Agbonlahor. Always thought he was a fan favourite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

This is currently being hotly debated on a City forum I use and my answer is still the same as it was earlier on in this thread.

Never have, never will and those that do are idiots who don't deserve to be in the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Who on here would ever be in a position to boo their team? ;) I boo certain players all the time at Shels. You don't try hard you get booed. Simple as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Gareth Farelly era. It was boo or pay your money in, go straight to the bar and not resurface till well after the final whistle.

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Who on here would ever be in a position to boo their team? ;) I boo certain players all the time at Shels. You don't try hard you get booed. Simple as.

Do you believe booing a player will somehow turn them into a work horse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Booing players - no, I just think it's too harsh. Particularly at international level when the thinness of the squad means that they simply might not be that good.

Booing teams - sometimes. As with the above I booed my way through the final minutes of the Ireland-Cyprus match. In fairness though, everyone knew exactly who the boo's were aimed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Poloman

I think it is acceptable to boo your own team if you feel and can clearly see that they are not putting in the effort on the pitch.

the manager can only pick the best side available to him and its not as if he can buy and sell players, you are stuck with players from your nation. however Stan was the opposite. People booed him as he played wrong tactics, wrong starting elevens and wrong substitutes.

You are losing a crucial game. Do you:
    1) Take off a striker and bring on a defender
    2) Take off a defender and add an attacking midfielder
    3) Take off a defender and play another up front

If you answered 1)... then congratulations you are as good as Stan. Anyway that time is over. I do feel if I spend 200 euros on a day out to go support my team and see certain players strolling around then yes people are entitled to boo. Personally I have never done it but I can see why it can happen.

I have booed referees for incorrect decisions but they only try their best and if the crowd gets on their back they are more likely to start making 50/50 calls in favour of your team.

• Advertisement

Do you believe booing a player will somehow turn them into a work horse?

Nope, it'll tell them that that attitude isn't acceptable. And hopefully, like the Dave Freemans of this world they'll all **** off to some other **** club were they belong. I just can't stand laziness from a professional player and as a paying customer I'm entitled to voice my displeasure at a lack of effort.

Nope, it'll tell them that that attitude isn't acceptable. And hopefully, like the Dave Freemans of this world they'll all **** off to some other **** club were they belong. I just can't stand laziness from a professional player and as a paying customer I'm entitled to voice my displeasure at a lack of effort.

So you're a customer not a supporter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Poloman wrote: »
    I have booed referees for incorrect decisions but they only try their best and if the crowd gets on their back they are more likely to start making 50/50 calls in favour of your team.

I've done more than boo refs in my time.

Tirades of vitriol spewing from my foaming mouth, down in Athlone one time.

That ref was a proper cúnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Whatever about the decency of it, it's just counter-productive.

It especially makes my blood boil when it's directed against a player who is limited (or perceived to be limited) but are trying hard.

Booing the whole team is wrong for the same reasons.

So you're a customer not a supporter?

Don't be a smart arse. Of course I'm a supporter. You choose that word intentionally as you obviously believe the only function of a supporter is to "support" and not criticise. If a player isn't doing his job correctly (i.e. being lazy) then he deserves to be criticised. I would never criticise a player for trying to do the right thing on the other hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I have never and would never boo my team. On occasions I do give them absolute socks worth of abuse but I would never boo. Friday night I was giving Baker an ear full for his casual approach shall we say, then the ba$tard went and scored. Bitter sweet I guess.

A ref is fair game but I'd prefer the ironic cheer when awarded a free or something rather than booing.

Clearly I'm not on my own judging my the posts but booing your own team, just seems wrong to me. There is a reason they call us support-ers, the clue is in the first part of that word.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Other than if players are known to have thrown a game deliberately, there is absolutely no justification for booing one's own team.
    It simply has no role in sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

I do feel if I spend 200 euros on a day out to go support my team and see certain players strolling around then yes people are entitled to boo. Personally I have never done it but I can see why it can happen.
    You think you can buy the right to boo people you say you are supporting? What other licences for obnoxious behaviour can €200 buy you? If you paid, say, €800, what could you do then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I do feel if I spend 200 euros on a day out to go support my team and see certain players strolling around then yes people are entitled to boo.

To avoid disappointment in future, you should to spend your 200 quid on consumer durable with a more superior outlay-return ratio - like a few box-sets.

Don't be a smart arse. Of course I'm a supporter. You choose that word intentionally as you obviously believe the only function of a supporter is to "support" and not criticise. If a player isn't doing his job correctly (i.e. being lazy) then he deserves to be criticised. I would never criticise a player for trying to do the right thing on the other hand.

I wasn't being a smart arse. You described yourself as a paying customer. A supporter imo wouldn't give a crap how much it cost to see their team (within reason of course) and certainly wouldn't go complaining about the price of a ticket or whatever if the performance wasn't up to scratch.

To me the two are completely different to each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

So all in all booing your team is wrong, just plain wrong....
    unless of course you've just drawn 1-1 at home to Cyprus and you want Stan outta the job ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement