Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking around Holles Street?

• 02-12-2008 2:46pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Now that the nice people at DCC have upped the parking in the city to €2.90 per hour (and still have a three hour limit in place), is there anywhere near Holles Street which is anyway cheaper, convenient and relatively safe than Merrion Square, Upper Mount St etc.?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Okay, i work on Holles Street.

There is no parking anywhere!!

I quality on Lime Street has a large car park, as far as i know but you might to contact them to see if you can use it.

i park in ringsend and walk up this may be a bit far for you.

i would be suggesting public transport or just paying for your parking

the clampers work overtime in this area

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Hi PFB, thanks, but I don't think herself would be too happy about taking the bus or long city strolls when junior decides to arrive... ;)

i would offer you my car parking space but i dont think my company would be too happy

i seen a car parked with a sign on the window saying, "i am having a baby" and it was clamped.

there are a load of DCC flat complexs around there as well but dont park in them, the second the residence see a different car they are on to the clampers.

i am sorry but you have no option but to feed the meter in the square which i think is disgraceful there should be some sort of pass for patients of the hospital

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

PM sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭templetonpeck

Dyflin wrote: »
    Hi PFB, thanks, but I don't think herself would be too happy about taking the bus or long city strolls when junior decides to arrive... ;)

how very dare you, I'm a wonder of joy and bubbles me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Hi All,
    about to have number two in a week or so and would like to know if there is a way to get more than 3 hrs parking when the big day arives.
    Dont fancy missing out for the sake of paying the meter?

what about paying on the phone? has anyone tried this option?
    Also if i pay for 3 hrs and then run out and do it again can i be clamped? or do i have to move the car??

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I've been parked around there for longer than 3hrs and never clamped. I don't tend to park on the square though as I think its actually dearer then other roads.

Its only 10 mins walk to the car parks on Nassau St etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

i would offer you my car parking space but i dont think my company would be too happy

i seen a car parked with a sign on the window saying, "i am having a baby" and it was clamped.

there are a load of DCC flat complexs around there as well but dont park in them, the second the residence see a different car they are on to the clampers.

i am sorry but you have no option but to feed the meter in the square which i think is disgraceful there should be some sort of pass for patients of the hospital

Almost every single hospital charges for car parking and some of them a lot e.g. St. James's, AMNCH, Mater etc. I do think it would be better if Holles Street had a dedicated car park even if they were going to charge for it as it can be a nightmare trying to find parking on the street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

i think i might drop the wife at Hollest St get her settled then leg it to Stephens Green and hope in a taxi back. at least i dont have to worry about clamps etc...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Bank holiday babies rock;)It is the only thing that stressed be about holles st.Abandon car and ask a friend to move it was my idea!

• Advertisement

BrookieD wrote: »
    i think i might drop the wife at Hollest St get her settled then leg it to Stephens Green and hope in a taxi back. at least i dont have to worry about clamps etc...

Why Stephens Green? Nassau St is much closer. Maybe its dearer though.

BostonB wrote: »
    Why Stephens Green? Nassau St is much closer. Maybe its dearer though.

Don't think it is, Stephen's Green/ College of Surgeons car parks are the most expensive in the city.

kizzyr wrote: »
    Almost every single hospital charges for car parking and some of them a lot e.g. St. James's, AMNCH, Mater etc. I do think it would be better if Holles Street had a dedicated car park even if they were going to charge for it as it can be a nightmare trying to find parking on the street.

if you park on merrion square you need to move your car every two hours until 7pm which really isnt practical if you are having a baby. there should be some kind of pass to allow you to park as long as you need with out the worry of clamping.

i

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Would ye get a taxi? Would stop you worrying about having to move car by a certain time. I was in the Rotunda and my boyfriend parked in an all day car park beside Jurys Hotel, but still had to move it at around 7pm (was going in to have a c section and didn't want to miss it...).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

BrookieD wrote: »

PM sent.

Would ye get a taxi? Would stop you worrying about having to move car by a certain time. I was in the Rotunda and my boyfriend parked in an all day car park beside Jurys Hotel, but still had to move it at around 7pm (was going in to have a c section and didn't want to miss it...).

not alway practical though.

my friend had a very difficult 4 day labour, they were coming from wicklow town. 2 taxis a day for her husband would have cost a fortune.

not everyone how uses holles street is from dublin

my other friends husband missed the birth trying to get in from wicklow, he couldnt get a taxi (hospital sent him home at 2am and told him it wasnt going to be anytime soon :rolleyes:)

if you park on merrion square you need to move your car every two hours until 7pm which really isnt practical if you are having a baby. there should be some kind of pass to allow you to park as long as you need with out the worry of clamping.

i

Which is why I said it would be great if Holles Street had their own car park........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭donaghs

Is there any kind of tag you can buy which entitles you to park for over 3 hours and not have to feed the meter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

donaghs wrote: »
    Is there any kind of tag you can buy which entitles you to park for over 3 hours and not have to feed the meter?

Nope!

In fairness there a car park (Nassu St) about 10 mins walk away if you are going to be that long. Get a Dublin bike back out. 5 mins or less. Theres a Dublin Bike rack just at Holles St too. Theres even free parking in the area if you look around. But its usually full. You can go back and move your car out of the car park when the meters finish for the evening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭janmc

My husband is suggesting dropping me down, parking for an hour or so while I get settled (and they ensure I'm not about to pop immediately), and then driving home and cycling back! Having to run in and out to feed the meter would be a pain in the ass while your partner is in active labour.

I'd definitely consider Nassau St car park, but check out their policy on overnight cars and what time they close. Being sent home to pick up a forgotten hospital bag/pyjamas/babygro etc at 4am if the car park is closed might be difficult.

Does anyone know if the tiny car park in Holles St itself is even open to the public ever or just for staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

I lived on Erne St many moons ago and there was always a spot or two there, esp at night, on street pay and display mind you but very handy. Just a suggestion as an alt to carparks (but I know parking on street in town at night does have its risks).

janmc wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the tiny car park in Holles St itself is even open to the public ever or just for staff?

it is open to the public but by 7.30am, its full

janmc wrote: »
    I'd definitely consider Nassau St car park, but check out their policy on overnight cars and what time they close. Being sent home to pick up a forgotten hospital bag/pyjamas/babygro etc at 4am if the car park is closed might be difficult....

You pop out and move the car back to Holles st after 7. You leave a bag of change in the car, fill the meter and move it as required. Its awkward but very doable. If it happens quickly then you'll be free quicky to move the car. If it happens slowly then you'll have you loads of warning of when you should move it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

irishbird wrote: »
    it is open to the public but by 7.30am, its full

The tiny Holles St car park at the hospital is for staff only, and then only the staff that have passes. The car park attendant is a Hitler too so there's no sneaking in behind another car either :(

When I was in Holles St having my baby it didn't seem to be too much of an inconvenience for my husband to keep popping out to feed the meter, especially as he had to leave the labour ward to use his mobile and update people.

In my expeience of working in Holles St, I never had a father miss a birth cos he was off paying for parking. Ridiculously expensive mind!

Hubby will have to pop out to eat, or most likely pop into the shops for stuff you've forgotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

The tiny Holles St car park at the hospital is for staff only, and then only the staff that have passes. The car park attendant is a Hitler too so there's no sneaking in behind another car either :(

When I was in Holles St having my baby it didn't seem to be too much of an inconvenience for my husband to keep popping out to feed the meter, especially as he had to leave the labour ward to use his mobile and update people.

In my expeience of working in Holles St, I never had a father miss a birth cos he was off paying for parking. Ridiculously expensive mind!

When I was admitted to the Coombe in pre labour, partner was given a pass for free parking but for that day only. He was sent home to rest and had to come back at 5am when I was in active labour, had the baby at 11am, he left at 12pm as the rest times in the hospital are then, he was charged 26 euro for parking!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Actually down on Hogan Place outside the pub Doolan's - the parking is free. Just outside the houses mind. It can be very difficult to get a spot sometimes though!

Advertisement