Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N6 Resurfacing/Roadworks

Options
  • 02-12-2008 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭

The City Council are resurfacing the short stretch of the N6 between the traffic lights at the Newcastle Road crossroads and Browne (Westside) roundabout and it caused absolute chaos yesterday evening. Traffic around that whole area was at a standstill with just one eastbound lane closed. I live in the West of the City but work over in Ballybrit (usually start work at 6 in the evenings) and I had to take a pretty big diversion around that whole area just to avoid getting stuck in the jam.

I'd advise people to avoid using that road at all if they can help it over the next few days, especially between 4pm and 6:30pm.

Not sure why they didn't start work over the weekend as it would surely have caused less disruption or why they don't do the work only at night or else day and night (to get it done faster).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Rang the council earlier today, they are planning to be finished at the end of the week, but are hoping to be done a bit earlier.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Was just about to post about this. I avoided it yesterday on the way back from the East Side of the city and got sandwiched in traffic in town. What was it like coming the opposite way to you yesterday Kev?

I have to pick someone up most days in the University so it's an arse for all involved going through town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

KevR wrote: »
    Not sure why they didn't start work over the weekend as it would surely have caused less disruption or why they don't do the work only at night or else day and night (to get it done faster).
    `

You see that would be the smart way of working and sure they can’t be doin that lads!

Or of course the other classic is some crowd will be along in a month and need to rip up the road to access/lay pipes/cables and then do a shoddy job on resurfacing it. This of course will leave us with a crappy surface again.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

They managed to do the short N6 stretch in Oranmore at night with minimal disruption. I presume they've paid out all the overtime they can manage after that and its a case of having to do the work during daylight hours...ie disaster for motorists

I got from the east of the city to the west very easily yesterday eve. Just went from Ballybrit roundabout down through Mervue to Moneen roundabout and along lough atalia, in around the docks, take right hand lane, turn onto cross street, turn left opposite St Pats and straight on, down along dominic st and onto shantalla rd. No bother...only place I had a bit of traffic was at moneen roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Das Kitty wrote: »
    What was it like coming the opposite way to you yesterday Kev?

I was in college (NUIG) up until 4 o clock yesterday and when I was walking home to get my dinner and the car for work I could see that it was backed the whole way up through Westside and Newcastle. So on the way to work I drove through Shantalla, into the NUIG campas (at the AIB bank on Newcastle Rd), through the underpass of the N6/Quinentenary Bridge (beside the gym), out a different exit of the college (Upper Newcastle Rd) then took a left turn onto the bridge. Hope that makes some sense.

I left home at about 4:50pm and it took about 25 mins to get to Ballybrit with the diversion I took, which is not bad I suppose. Probably took about 15 mins to get onto the bridge and then 10 mins the rest of the way - was pretty clear once I got on the bridge.

• Advertisement

What was it like coming the opposite way to you yesterday Kev?

Traffic was normal heading west at 6:15 ish (heavy normal, but not worse than any other bad day, if you catch me).

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    They managed to do the short N6 stretch in Oranmore at night with minimal disruption. I presume they've paid out all the overtime they can manage after that and its a case of having to do the work during daylight hours...ie disaster for motorists
    Was thinking the exact same.

If they just closed it off completely at night the few people driving at night could easily divert around it and it would be easier for them to carry out the resurfacing work without a live traffic flow in the way. But then I thought that they'd have to pay the workers more for night work and that's why it's being done during the day.

Anyone know if it was the city council or county council that was in charge of doing the dual carriageway in Oranmore? The county council are sometimes more sensible when it comes to stuff like this and it could be the case here if they did the Oranmore road instead of the city council..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Have ye noticed that the City Council put up freestanding notices for motorists on that route (warning them about roadworks) on the pedestrian footpath and bike path!

I was in college (NUIG) up until 4 o clock yesterday and when I was walking home to get my dinner and the car for work I could see that it was backed the whole way up through Westside and Newcastle. So on the way to work I drove through Shantalla, into the NUIG campas (at the AIB bank on Newcastle Rd), through the underpass of the N6/Quinentenary Bridge (beside the gym), out a different exit of the college (Upper Newcastle Rd) then took a left turn onto the bridge. Hope that makes some sense.

I left home at about 4:50pm and it took about 25 mins to get to Ballybrit with the diversion I took, which is not bad I suppose. Probably took about 15 mins to get onto the bridge and then 10 mins the rest of the way - was pretty clear once I got on the bridge.

Might make him walk to Wards then go down through Salthill and cut out Westside altogether.

I got stuck yesterday first in Mill Street (also working on the road there) and then after that at Cooke's Corner. I was stuck in the long cycle of the traffic lights 3 times over with just 4 cars in front of me. My back was killing me too, I just wanted to get home!

....Cooke's Corner. I was stuck in the long cycle of the traffic lights 3 times over with just 4 cars in front of me.
    Those lights are aweful. They were ok for a while when they put the new lights with sensors in but the sensors don't seem to work anymore. Traffic lights at the hospital are the same - have sensors which worked well for a while but they seem to on the blink these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

I can't understand why this needed resurfacing. Road markings - yes. Is this a case of spend the money before year end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

MaxFlower wrote: »
    I can't understand why this needed resurfacing. Road markings - yes. Is this a case of spend the money before year end.

Completely agree with the above comment,when I saw the sign going up about the roadworks I had a good look at that stretch of road and for the life of me I could not see anything wrong with it, no pot holes or cracks so as far as I can see its another waste of our money.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Completely agree with the above comment,when I saw the sign going up about the roadworks I had a good look at that stretch of road and for the life of me I could not see anything wrong with it, no pot holes or cracks so as far as I can see its another waste of our money.

Road surfaces usually have a design life of 15 to 20 years max. After that they fail depending on the daily traffic amount. I'm not sure but the council may be surfacing all roads with a surface older than 15 to 20 years so they dont have to wait for them to fail to resurface them...makes sense imo and a bit of forward planning/thinking which seems bizarre for the council!

Traffic was a nightmare this evening. Took me over 30 mins to get from Westside to NUIG and then another 15 mins to get from NUIG to Ballybrit. It took my mother well over an hour to get to and from town to pick up my little brother, normally only takes 15 mins at that time. Talk about chaotic!

On the way home from work I drove on the road where they are carrying out the roadworks and it looks like both of the Eastbound lanes have been resurfaced and are now open to traffic. They just still have to put down road markings (which hopefully won't take a long time to do/cause much more disruption).

So they'll more than likely be starting on one of the westbound lanes tomorrow - anyone making an East to West journey across the City tomorrow can expect very bad delays.

Hopefully they'll be finished by Thursday evening.

There was a really ropey bit coming off the roundabout, I've seen many a skid there and felt my wheels going a bit ga-ga from time to time.

I went up Taylor's hill yesterday after coming through town. It wasn't too bad.

Just looking at the Quincentenary Bridge from college now and, going Westbound, there's tailback (from the lights back at Newcastle Rd to the far side of the actual bridge itself). Would not like to be travelling over the bridge in that direction between 4pm and 6:30pm this evening that's for sure!

I wish there was a webcam around there!

Feck

Just looking at the Quincentenary Bridge from college now and, going Westbound, there's tailback (from the lights back at Newcastle Rd to the far side of the actual bridge itself). Would not like to be travelling over the bridge in that direction between 4pm and 6:30pm this evening that's for sure!

Stick a webcam out your window Kev... help me time my journeys home!

Stick a webcam out your window Kev... help me time my journeys home!
    If I had a webcam I gladly would!

Anyway, don't know what the hell I'm doing watching traffic and the like when I should be studying for my exams :rolleyes:

Looks now like traffic is backed the whole way from the Newcastle Rd lights over the bridge and back to the Galway Shopping Centre roundabout. Primary schools getting off any minute now, secondary schools getting off at 4pm and most people getting out of work at 5pm so it's only going to get a lot worse.

Surely the Garda Traffic Corps could be deployed in the area to get traffic moving around other routes that people are using as diversions. Or would that be too much to ask?

• Advertisement

I wanna go home! :(

Argh!
    *rends garments*

Huhh? heading towards west side the lane by the path from the lights up to the enterence to the cash and carry or what ever is on the left there is pretty bad and has been for ages. it gets bad again coming up to the roundabout.

Unless I'm totally wrong in the road thats getting resurfaced (in dub the past few days).

They should shut the road they are working on, and allow right hand turns at the bridge, with a garda on point duty for the duration of the works.

That's if they had any sense of course.

Yeah, yesterday morning coming West to East I had to stop on the roundabout the prevent a collision.

I was coming on the outside lane to go straight and a fella on the inside was doing the same (which is usually grand as there are 2 lanes coming off it). You couldn't really see the sign saying the outer lane was closed until you were in motion on the roundabout so I couldn't fault the fella next to me really. I had to stop to let him go.

Feckin' council and your inadequate and inappropriate signage.

Kayos,
    The road you are thinking of is indeed the correct road. And I do agree that the left hand lane going West at the cash and cary and again at the RAB wasn't great at all. The only thing I would say is that there are a lot of roads in Galway with far worse surfaces than that road. But then again, I'm not complaining that they're doing it because it was an old surface and probably wouldn't have lasted too much longer before getting really bad with potholes and stuff (especially because it's so busy).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

there are a lot of roads in Galway with far worse surfaces than that road.

Aye, but they probably don't have an N in their description.

No problems at all going East this evening - I got from Westside to Ballybrit in just over 15 mins.

Would say there were bad delays going West through here though.

3 lanes done now - I would imagine that the 4th will be done tomorrow and then they just have to put down road markings and stuff.

Anyone drive on the new lanes yet? I thought they were a bit bumpy (especially where there were manholes) for a brand new surface. Will wait until it's fully finished before I judge it properly though.

Anyone drive on the new lanes yet? I thought they were a bit bumpy (especially where there were manholes) for a brand new surface. Will wait until it's fully finished before I judge it properly though.

Dont worry they will be along in the next month to do some pipe work and then a bit bumpy would be an improvement :rolleyes:

That's not the final surface, there's another to go on top.

• Advertisement

That's not the final surface, there's another to go on top.

That'd make sense alright, because I'd nearly say that the surface down now is no better if not worse than the old one!

Hopefully today will be the last day of major disruption anyway.

Advertisement