Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Poll for best overall car?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭madaboutcars

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the A3 just a Golf with a different badge and costs more?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,968 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

You are wrong. The A3 is generally much higher spec'd imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Q2002 wrote: »
    You are wrong. The A3 is generally much higher spec'd imo

Actually the base spec A3 is about as sparse as the base spec Golf. You're paying for the better quality interior mainly and the badge. I'm not sure how in-depth the suspension tweaks go. Most of the engines are the same.
    Under the old VRT scheme the A3 170bhp TDi was actually cheaper than the 170bhp TDi Golf, so the A3 isn't necessarily a more expensive Golf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭madaboutcars

The Golf has aircon and the Audi doesn't.

Anyway the Golf is about to be replaced by a "new" model.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭spav

I was just scanning there for a new car and I'm looking for the following things in one.
    1. Reliabilty
    2. Fun to Drive
    3. Not going to cost an Arm & Leg to insure
    4. Not ridiculously expensive to service.

Which of these are best

VW Golf, Audi A3, Ford Focus - any other recommendations?

Thanks

Someone else has mentioned it on this thread, but I'd consider the Fiat Panda 100hp. Once you get past the fact that it's a Panda ( ;) ), it's a cracking car to drive, smashing to look at and pretty cheap to run. With a bit of haggling you'll be able to get a pre-reg 08 model for about €10k, with the guts of a 4 year warranty.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Fiat/Panda/1.4-16V-/200843190564498/advert

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

Don't limit yourself to an audi, golf or focus.

As some one already said how bout a celica?
    It has toyota reliability and the most fun you can have in a FWD car! (either that or a 'teg).
    instead of goin to the dealer to service your car (mind you itd be a lot cheaper than the audi/vw dealers!) how bout trying your hand at it and see how you get on. Theres plenty of websites out there to explain what has to be done and how to do it.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

This would be my choice*, nearly new pocket rocket, all the toys and landed all in for around €17.5K.

http://www.motorpoint.co.uk/(S(3y4d5r554og4j33kplnz3gme))/Search/VehicleDetails.aspx?vehicle=206466&diesel=yes

* Actually, this was my choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

Thanks for all the replies guy/girls.

I'm pretty surprised to hear that the A3/Golf don't have good reliability records, or is that just one of those myths?
    Has anyone got some ball parks figures for servicing say 05 models of each car?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I'm pretty surprised to hear that the A3/Golf don't have good reliability records, or is that just one of those myths?

I think its the other way round. For a long time VAG had a great reputation for reliability which either 1) has been eroded recently or 2) was never deserved to begin with.

I've owned French, Italian, Japanese and German cars and the only one to ever stop dead at the side of the road was my old MkIII Golf. But apart from that, sure their bulletproof...

Advertisement