Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anybody buying a bike in 09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

Looking at a GSXR 750 K7 or K8 maybe from the uk, and keeping the SV also of course .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Dr4gul4 wrote: »
    and keeping the SV also of course .

good stuff.

Not staying with the real bikes? You should get yourself a ducati or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Jon wrote: »
    Last I knew the Super 4 has a BHP of 56. I could be wrong though.

True but the older carb one had only 35 when new

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭paulieeye

TheDriver wrote: »
    got 1995 with 29000kms (jap import) for 850

very nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

nereid wrote: »
    good stuff.

Not staying with the real bikes? You should get yourself a ducati or something.

Cant say im a fan of Dukes, dont know what it is, but i just dont like the look of any of them, you never know what i'd do with the SV, with a little bit of tricking i could upgrade the engine and track it fully maybe..who knows...

Anyway, i have yet to locate a 750 and get monies to buy it :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

maybe something more suited to long distances then my street triple - perhaps a cbr600f

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

There is no lying, in fact Quinn only wanted to know if its restricted from above 40 down to 33, they seemed to consider the cb400 as learner legal as is
    I'd like to see if they still consider it Leaner Legal when they have a €50K claim to pay out though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

There is no lying, in fact Quinn only wanted to know if its restricted from above 40 down to 33, they seemed to consider the cb400 as learner legal as is

Doesn't really matter what they think. The law is the law, if its not within the restrictions then you can't drive it. The insurance company will use this to their advantage when it comes down to the crunch.

They'll sell you the policy, but its completely useless if you don't have a valid licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

KTRIC wrote: »
    Doesn't really matter what they think. The law is the law, if its not within the restrictions then you can't drive it. The insurance company will use this to their advantage when it comes down to the crunch.

They'll sell you the policy, but its completely useless if you don't have a valid licence.

Quite correct. And Quinn seem to have got a reputation for being difficult to claim against.
    And that's before Sean Quinn blew a billion Euro buying Anglo Irish Bank shares :D

Popeleo wrote: »
    Quite correct. And Quinn seem to have got a reputation for being difficult to claim against.
    And that's before Sean Quinn blew a billion Euro buying Anglo Irish Bank shares :D

So where can you get a definitive answer on this?

I cant seem to find any offical specs on the CB400, cant find any downlaodable owners manual.

mag ireland says CB400 is learner legal but other sites (here) would suggest its not.

• Advertisement

problem paulieeye is that cb400 has evolved so much, carb to injection etc, newish ones are very powerful whereas older carb ones are only in early 30s so its more the model that you would have to find and I couldn't find that myself, found the mid 90's to be about 32-34 bhp, damn heavy bike tho

i see. thanks for that..i'll continue my quest for info!

paulieeye wrote: »
    i see. thanks for that..i'll continue my quest for info!
    i'd ask the insurance company. At the end of the day all this restriction malarkey is for them! If they want to set such rules they should be able toi answer all queries!

Ring them and ask them if the bike in question is Learner Legal. If they say yes, ask them to put it in writing (so that you can prove it on a rainy day if needs be). If they're not sure, tell them to find out as you don't want to be taking risks riding a bike you're not supposed to...

That's what I'd do anyway. I'd probably contact the gardai also for some more information on this...

Thanks Stefano. DOn't know about Guards though, they didn't seem to know much about general queries when I call in never mind bike specific questions. How many threads do we see here regarding being asked for insurance discs on bikes, nct cerst etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Not so. The courts found, years ago, that where cover is mandated by law, and a proposal accepted and certificate issued for cover, that they must honour cover in the event of a claim.

Now, that does not preclude the insurance co's right to subsequently come after you in a civil suit, afterwards - actually, you bet they will ! - but once you have cover, you have cover.

Otherwise, if you think about it, anyone who ever let their licence lapse in error, would be without cover - and that patently isn't so.

Ditto for bhp restrictions, etc too. (and NCT's for cars...)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

well i bought 3 bikes last year so the odds are that I will buy at least 1 this year ha ha. The plan is to sell the BMW R1150RT and buy a GSXR1000 K5 to K7 but the BMW aint attracting much interest so I might buy a 916 to console myself :D

macnab wrote: »
    well i bought 3 bikes last year so the odds are that I will buy at least 1 this year ha ha. The plan is to sell the BMW R1150RT and buy a GSXR1000 K5 to K7 but the BMW aint attracting much interest so I might buy a 916 to console myself :D
    It's nice being rich isn't it?

rich even?!!! (sorry, couldn't resist!!)

rich even?!!! (sorry, couldn't resist!!)
    Fixed! Mr Smarty Pants! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

My bike buying plans have been vastly accelerated by someone u-turning in front of me today. He cut across a continuous white line, no indicator. Sucks a lot.

Damn. Off the road for a while now and it was my primary mode of transport. Here's hoping it all works out and I can be back on the road soon. Anyone know how long it takes to go from claim to money in account if it's totally not contested?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

depends on the case but 18 months is not uncommon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

It's nice being rich isn't it?

tbh, you don't need to be rich to ride an RT.

Your comment a bit rich from a guy with a new 'Blade!!

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »

Steffano has a what now ??

I can't afford a new Blade and I'm not exactly poor :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭LoveDucati2

Sold my 916 a few years back and a friend wrote off my almost new 900ss a few years back. Tried the 749 as its one of the most beautiful looking bikes but it was AWFUL to ride.

You cannot use the mirrors at all without moving your arms. Under heavy breaking if you are over 15 stone it will try to force you over the handlebars. Like most Ducatis your wrists need about 4 weeks of pain testing, and you will never be able to drive more than 70 miles without stopping and stretching your back.

Nothing beats the sound of flooring your bike in 3rd along the Quays (or anywhere to be honest), the torque of a Duc in any gear is awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭beachlife

I'm saving up for a Yamaha MT-01.

there going cheap now!!!!

My "it's nice being rich" comment was aimed at this sentence: "well i bought 3 bikes last year so the odds are that I will buy at least 1 this year ha ha". Not at the RT...
    It'd not new! It's an '07! :P

Steffano has a what now ??

I can't afford a new Blade and I'm not exactly poor :rolleyes:
    I don't have an '08 'blade. I have the previous version (RR-7) from 2007. Much better looking IMO! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭draycottgirlz

thinking about getting a bike this year, but unsure what direction to take yet. Any advice for a newcomer-ish? (did some offroading when I was younger)

thinking about getting a bike this year, but unsure what direction to take yet. Any advice for a newcomer-ish? (did some offroading when I was younger)
    Start with a small 250cc bike. They're not too powerful yet fun! My GF started on a Hornet 250 and I think it's the perfect starter bike!

• Advertisement

I'm trading in my 08 Vulcan 1600 very very soon. Can't decide what to get instead though.

There is so much choice out there at the moment. :confused:

Advertisement