Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anybody buying a bike in 09

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Would the jump from a 250 to an 1000 kill me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

RasTa wrote: »

need to me more specific Im afraid

for example, cb250 -> 04 zx10r could be pretty fatal alright

Wossack wrote: »
    need to me more specific Im afraid

for example, cb250 -> 04 zx10r could be pretty fatal alright

Virago 250 to an 990 SM. Pretty different!

Virago 250 to an 990 SM. Pretty different!

Aye, be a massive increase bhp wise... from what Ive read they're pretty brutal in the power delivery

Id be concerned tbh!

Wossack wrote: »
    Aye, be a massive increase bhp wise... from what Ive read they're pretty brutal in the power delivery

Id be concerned tbh!

So I guess an XJR would be worse :eek:What is managable?

• Advertisement

ah Im no expert, and sure I went from a cbr125 -> street triple 675, and that's too big a jump in alot of peoples opinions :p

I'd say something ~600cc, but again, thats just me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Not if your responsible and take it handy until you get used to it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I went from nothing to a Bandit 600 and then to a 1000cc Fireblade (although before getting the 'blade I race a CBR600 so I cheated a bit).

I think once you understand it is a huge jump in power and you respect that by riding very carefully (etc etc) then you'll be grand! Just take it handy and keep the shiny side up! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭batman_oh

If you hop on a 1000 with the intention of going fast a lot you most likely will end up on yer hole. If you are that kind of rider smaller bike progression makes sense, or alternatively a track bike and lots of trackdays
    If you take it handy none of them are dangerous, its only when you pin the throttle that you will find trouble if you arent used to them

• Registered Users Posts: 15 carol.c

Hi,

Anyone interested in trading plastering skills for a 2002 Ducati. It only has 6000 miles on the clock, new tyres, micron exhaust. Great condition.
    We have a 1000 foot extension which needs skimming inside and external plastering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

carol.c wrote: »
    Hi,

Anyone interested in trading plastering skills for a 2002 Ducati. It only has 6000 miles on the clock, new tyres, micron exhaust. Great condition.
    We have a 1000 foot extension which needs skimming inside and external plastering.
    Post this on www.biker.ie and www.irishbikerforum.com, you might get a better response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

So I guess an XJR would be worse :eek:What is managable?

...no, I'd say the opposite - the XJR would be more manageable. MCN returned their longterm KTM this week, and they were unimpressed with the lack of refinement of the KTM engine throttle response. KTM have an alternative throttle grip to modify the opening rate in an attempt to make it civil.

This, I'd wager, would not make it a great first big bike.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

been plannin at upgrading for a while now, looking at:
    BMW F 650 GS Dakar (second-hand)
    or
    a Yahama XT660R (from UK)

cant make up my mind tho!

hopefully will be able to do some touring around Europe during the Summer.
    any opinions?
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Fionn wrote: »
    been plannin at upgrading for a while now, looking at:
    BMW F 650 GS Dakar (second-hand)
    or
    a Yahama XT660R (from UK)

cant make up my mind tho!

hopefully will be able to do some touring around Europe during the Summer.
    any opinions?
    :)

My previous bike was an F650GS (non-dakar) and it was grand but it's a very underpowered bike for a 650cc bike, but I did love the riding position, which is why my current bike is the 1200GS :D

Depends what your current bike is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

I'm also looking at getting an F650GS this year. Had ideas about an SV650S too but I think the Beemer is winning out. Will have to ride both and decide then.
    Would love a Street Triple though...unfortunately the funds won't stretch to one for a while yet :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

ah.... the 675 triple engine. gorgeous. I had a daytona 675. one of the best bikes ive ever had. Real sorry to say good bye to it. Beautiful sound, great grunt, fantastic bike. it would be worth saving the pennies and waiting till you could afford the street triple or the speed triple even !:O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

As an owner of a Street Triple R for the last 2 weeks, I can agree. Great engine, great sound.

Only got one of the gear shift lights to go on so far, but I'm sure summer weather will help me see more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Dorsanty wrote: »
    As an owner of a Street Triple R for the last 2 weeks, I can agree. Great engine, great sound.

Only got one of the gear shift lights to go on so far, but I'm sure summer weather will help me see more.

Pics of GTFO

Nobody likes a showoff :)

Git ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

colm_c wrote: »
    Pics of GTFO

Just before I got the keys.

dsc00722ji4.th.jpg

• Advertisement

dsc00722ji4.th.jpg

See now you're just depressing me :(

Gorgeous machine...colour, belly pan everything.
    Now ride safe !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

well wear dude. keep her between the ditches.
    BTW did you get that from celtic triumph or mccallens up north ?

dsc00722ji4.th.jpg

looks like the alarms goin off :D

best of luck with it, they rock ;)

coupla forums for ya (can never have enough :rolleyes:)

http://street-triple.co.uk/
    http://www.triumph675.net/
    http://www.triumphrat.net/

One good thing about the recession is Yamaha knocked over five grand off the price of the MT-01 :D Hopefully I'll have one for the start of the summer:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭cutepape

Just bought a KTM 950 SM -07, Factory new, warranty starts once it's delivered to me. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Just picked up a Fireblade 900RR about three weeks ago. Ionteach!

Advertisement