Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

02 Astra - what to look for

Options
  • 02-12-2008 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭

Mother in law wants me to have a look at an 02 Astra auto, 80K on clock, with her tomorrow.

Any particular issues I should look out for?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Take it for a dual carriageway spin to ensure the kickdown is working.

The speedo wasn't working on one I test drove (a 04).

Check that both keys operate the remote central locking.

Timing belt due every 40k miles.

Make sure the rear wiper works if hatch.

Can't think of anything niggly that affects my car.....maybe ensure the mudflaps are correctly attached/ not loose. I've lost 2 in the past few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Vibration/rattle from the dashboard.

Make sure you test it on rough surfaced road, as opposed to new motorwayed tarmacy goodness.

Got a 02 Astra in November of last year and we're very happy with the purchase. Apart from an issue with diesel contamination in the petrol tank (not our fault - service station admitted fault and paid for repairs), we haven't had an ounce of trouble. Sped through the NCT in May as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭leex

Make sure the rear wiper works if hatch.

Front wiper gives trouble also or did on the 98 one I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

ninty9er wrote: »
    Timing belt due every 40k miles.QUOTE]

And Water pump!!:D

And if you or yore ma is on L plates, if you do the test in an auto you can't drive a manual without being retested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

No horror stories - that has to be good!

Is dashboard rattle a sign of worn suspension?

The MIL got her licence when they were giving them out free. She has a bad back, hence the need for an automatic. (She had a load of kids, so she probably spent too much time on it!)

Thanks for all the input :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Theres some issues with the 1.7 diesel, engine management. I'm guessing the auto is a 1.6 petrol?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

big b wrote: »
    No horror stories - that has to be good!

Is dashboard rattle a sign of worn suspension?

Er, I don't think/hope so. Had the car totally checked out and there were no problems. The car had less than 60k on the clock (which I trust given personal connections to the garage in where it was bought) and the rattle stops if you apply pressure to the dash just above the radio.

But it's bloody intermittent and I cannot replicate it for the garage so they don't know where to look. And my gf's dad has a two year old Opel Zafira and it has developed the exact same rattle. It could be the casing for the radio or something.

Era, it's not serious and doesn't happen that often. I just said I'd mention it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

BostonB wrote: »
    Theres some issues with the 1.7 diesel, engine management. I'm guessing the auto is a 1.6 petrol?

Tis indeed, Boston. Done a bit of surfing & can't find any major issues, a mate has a slightly newer one that he's delighted with, and so far no big warnings here on boards either.

All quite reassuring!

Thanks for all the input folks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

quad_red wrote: »
    Er, I don't think/hope so. Had the car totally checked out and there were no problems. The car had less than 60k on the clock (which I trust given personal connections to the garage in where it was bought) and the rattle stops if you apply pressure to the dash just above the radio.

But it's bloody intermittent and I cannot replicate it for the garage so they don't know where to look. And my gf's dad has a two year old Opel Zafira and it has developed the exact same rattle. It could be the casing for the radio or something.

Era, it's not serious and doesn't happen that often. I just said I'd mention it!

It's temperature related as the dash expands and contracts. Too lose in the cold and too tight in the hot.

It's a centre console fit issue as opposed to anything major. try jamming a piece of an old credit card in or something similar to see if it solves the problem.

Advertisement