Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newishbie question ATI RD400 onboard LAN

Options
  • 02-12-2008 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭

Hi

I've tried to install Windows XP on a system with an ATI RD400 motherboard at least I think it's an ATI RD400, I can't find the make model written on it, but it looks exactly like
    http://www.pcpartner.com/pcpartner/products/ati/m-a73d.htm

I've downloaded the drivers from the same site
    http://www.pcpartner.com/pcpartner/support/utility/ati.htm

But I can't get either of the LAN drivers to do anything. In fact, in the Device Manager, the LAN doesn't even show up as being missing (with the yellow circle with question mark icon in it). The only ethernet thing that shows up is a 1394 connection - which installs itself automatically.

To make things a bit odder, I have installed the sound drivers from that site, and I have sound (from the mb's onboard sound card) working perfectly, but every time windows boots up, the windows new-hardware-detector tells me that it's trying to install an "Audio Device on High Definition Bus", and this device does show up as not having been installed in the Device manager. ("Other Devices")

Is it possible it's somehow mistaking the LAN adapter for a sound adapter?

Unfortunately the computer is second-hand so I don't have the discs that came with the motherboard, and can't contact the guy I got it from...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Suppose it wasn't as "newbie"ish as I thought... ;)

Something just occurred to me, the copy of Windows XP I installed on it was one that came with a Dell Laptop... DirectX is also resfusing to install... Should I get a more "neutral" copy of XP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Anyway just in case it's any help: I reinstalled a copy of windows XP pro (SP2) and have the same problem. Anyway the audio bus thing was because I had a Radeon 3850 - which apparently has this "feature". I was able to fix this by installing drivers from the Realtek website.

But the thing with the network card remains. It doesn't appear as an unknown device in the device manager. And when I intall the Marvell drivers, nothing happens. I gave up on this and picked up a Belkin ethernet card for €15.
    But when I installed this, it showed up in the device manager as a Realtek network card! (which I believe is the mb's onnboard device).
    I know it's talking about the Belkin one because when I disable it or uninstall it, the green light on the Belkin card goes off. Then when I "Scan for hardware changes" it once again picks it up but calls it a Realtek.

I tried updating the drivers to the belkin one, and although it does change the name to Belkin (after telling me that they aren't the right drivers!) in the device manager, the card still doesn't work.

Advertisement