Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am looking for chemistry grinds in Waterford.

Options
  • 02-12-2008 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I am a 29 year old attempting to study for the 2009 Leaving Cert from home. I realise that to do this in such a short time is a big challenge, but I am committed and aim to attend college to study biology next September.

Is there any secondary school chemistry teacher giving grinds in or near Waterford that would be able to arrange for me to do the lab experiments and fill in the log book in a school after school hours? If this is you, please reply to this post or PM me and advise me of your rates.

I also plan to do physics and biology and I'm not sure if there are compulsory lab experiments to be done for those, so I might be looking for physics and biology assistance, too.

Any advice on how to approach this ambitious challenge would be most appreciated. It might not be possible, but I would like to find out by having a crack at it!

Comments

ozone08 wrote: »
    I am a 29 year old attempting to study for the 2009 Leaving Cert from home. I realise that to do this in such a short time is a big challenge, but I am committed and aim to attend college to study biology next September.

Is there any secondary school chemistry teacher giving grinds in or near Waterford that would be able to arrange for me to do the lab experiments and fill in the log book in a school after school hours? If this is you, please reply to this post or PM me and advise me of your rates.

I also plan to do physics and biology and I'm not sure if there are compulsory lab experiments to be done for those, so I might be looking for physics and biology assistance, too.

Any advice on how to approach this ambitious challenge would be most appreciated. It might not be possible, but I would like to find out by having a crack at it!

If you're in waterford, how about Yeats college? They might have some revision/experiment courses or the like, you'll have to contact them to see though. I also remember reading something about days in DCU or UCD or somewhere where they do all of the experiments, I'm sure somebody will come on and clarify that.

And yes, for physics they're are mandatory experiments (24 of them, and 28 for chemistry). But as far as I'm aware, there isn't actually a need to do the experiments, as long as you know them well. I'm aware that they are mandatory, but a teacher doesn't have to sign anything to say that you have them done. They're mandatory because they're on the syllabus. In school, there is a chance of an inspector coming around and requesting to look at lab copies, but I'm sure that could be easily avoided as you're not attending a school.

For the physics experiments, have a look at www.mathsphysics.com. Theres a section on it where a teacher from Cork has put up interactive experiments. I've found them invaluable, even better than doing the real thing.

Also, have a look at the huge grinds sticky at the top of the Leaving Cert page, I'm sure some grinds teacher from Waterford has posted in there somewhere.

Best of luck with it all anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ozone08

If you're in waterford, how about Yeats college? They might have some revision/experiment courses or the like, you'll have to contact them to see though. I also remember reading something about days in DCU or UCD or somewhere where they do all of the experiments, I'm sure somebody will come on and clarify that.

And yes, for physics they're are mandatory experiments (24 of them, and 28 for chemistry). But as far as I'm aware, there isn't actually a need to do the experiments, as long as you know them well. I'm aware that they are mandatory, but a teacher doesn't have to sign anything to say that you have them done. They're mandatory because they're on the syllabus. In school, there is a chance of an inspector coming around and requesting to look at lab copies, but I'm sure that could be easily avoided as you're not attending a school.

For the physics experiments, have a look at www.mathsphysics.com. Theres a section on it where a teacher from Cork has put up interactive experiments. I've found them invaluable, even better than doing the real thing.

Also, have a look at the huge grinds sticky at the top of the Leaving Cert page, I'm sure some grinds teacher from Waterford has posted in there somewhere.

Best of luck with it all anyway.

Thanks for the information, JammyDodger. I think Yeats College is a bit out of my budget at €6000. I will look into DCU and UCD, though.

ozone08 wrote: »
    Thanks for the information, JammyDodger. I think Yeats College is a bit out of my budget at €6000. I will look into DCU and UCD, though.

No I didn't mean attend there full time, I just thought that they might have certain revision days where all experiments can be done etc. There are Christmas and Easter revision courses, perhaps they do experiments in some of them, unlikely though.

I think these were the threads that the experiments days might have been mentioned in:

Here and this might be some use too

Best thing you could do would be to ring a local school and see what they could do. But, as far as I know doing the experiments isn't necessarily compulsary, it's knowing them that is. I wouldn't let that small problem stop you resitting your exams anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Have a look here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=117777 there might be someone offering Chemistry grinds in your area.

Piste wrote: »
    Have a look here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=117777 there might be someone offering Chemistry grinds in your area.

Thanks for the tip, but I have already taken a look and there's not.

There is something I thought I might suggest for that thread. I don't know if it's technically possible with the board's software, but it would be handy if you could load that thread as one long page so that you could use the browsers find function to search for specific areas and subjects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

If you go into your user CP you can change the amount of posts you see per page so that might be of some help, but that thread is 5 years old so if you were to load all posts it'd be one very longe page! Boards has a search function for in threads, at the top of a thread you'll see a link "search this thread" then type in "chemistry waterford" and you may find something. Good luck!

Piste wrote: »
    If you go into your user CP you can change the amount of posts you see per page so that might be of some help, but that thread is 5 years old so if you were to load all posts it'd be one very longe page! Boards has a search function for in threads, at the top of a thread you'll see a link "search this thread" then type in "chemistry waterford" and you may find something. Good luck!

Neat. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Ask in De La Salle.

There's a few teachers in there that do grinds outside of school.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Gloom

I heard Deise College in Dungarvan does grind courses and stuff on Saturdays from a friend. I was thinking of doing it myself as I'm in Lismore however I'm not 100% sure but it may be worth it to ask them beforehand.

Advertisement