Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pick my next car

Options
  • 02-12-2008 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭

Ok i have 15k to spend on a car.

What i need in a car:

1) I travel 800k a week so comfort relability and MPG are a biggy

2) Bootspace is defo a plus as have a child under one and will probably have another in the next 2 years

3) Resale value is not a big deal as i will be holding on to it for a long time

I have inserted a poll above with the cars i have shortlisted so far.

Any other options or opinions on the above greatly appreciated. I am looking to purchase next week or week after at the latest.

Thanks

Which CAR? 61 votes

Toyota Avensis 06 40klms
    0% 0 votes
    VW Passat estate 170bhb 06 80k
    13% 8 votes
    BMW 320 05 80k
    11% 7 votes
    Honda Accord 05 60k
    31% 19 votes
    Skoda Superb 130bhp leather interior 50k
    44% 27 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,116 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

some sort of octavia id imagine? if you want a newish car

e39 bmw 530d if you will go say to 03

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

+1 530d,manual version about 5-7 more mpg than auto.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Skoda Superb all the way, only because your not worried about depriciation and the 130 is a great engine. Their chassis was based on the current model Passat, so they are alot longer than the older passat we'll say (if your going 04 backwards.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

I presume that all cats are diesel?
    Avoid high milers if you are doing 800km a week.
    Look at a Peugeot for comfort and economy.
    Of the cars you listed, 2 are VAG products. Not good handling cars. Fine for motorway driving though.
    The passat will be quite quick with 170bhp, but its got 80k on the clock and unless you need a wagon, I would avoid.
    The BMW is cramped inside and is not nearly as big as a Skoda, which is, by the way, huge. I also think the BMW is overpriced.
    The Honda is an unknown to me really. Reports are good all the same.
    The Toyota is a comfortable car. That is all I can say that is good about them. I personally hate them. But that is a personal choice. Boring, dull and as common as muck.
    Anyway, of that bunch, the Skoda would be the choice. Very big, ecnomical and should be reliable too, (barring a MAF problem).
    The Skoda is OK at the handling but would be beaten by the Honda, and BMW in that department. But for what you are looking for, it fits the bill.
    I would look at a 407 2.0 HDI. Great value to be had out there. Drive one and see. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

OP here is a nice SEAT Altea 2.0Tdi its got 5 star ncap and 140bhp TDi which for a long haul commute is really great.

Car is designed to be a 2 + 2 (i.e. 4 adults) so will fit two full size baby seats with ease..

http://www.carzone.ie/search/SEAT/Altea/2.0-TDI-/200840190231373/advert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

would go for honda meself. Lower miles though if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Hey thanks for the feed back so far.

@ R.O.R.:Funny had been thinking about the ST mondeo. It sounds like a stunning car alright. That volvo is very nice too thanks for that option!!!

@cashmni: The wife has a 407 and i think they are great car but would like a different car. I know that sounds stupid. I agree that the avensis is exceprtionally boring but i suppose you cant question their relability!

@JJJjNR: I just find that seat to be exceptionally strange looking. but thanks for searching for me

I dont think the 530d is really an option given the size of the engine and extra road tax and insurance.

Shame that passat is so high mileage wise but then i guess it would not be in that price range.

Will take the superb for a spin and feed back on it. thanks and keep the options/feedback coming

• Registered Users Posts: 20,116 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

er insurance probably wont be much more on the 530d so the only thing is the road tax, what is it €500 a year more? not much in the grand scheme of things and its a better car than anything listed above

mondy st would prob be the best bet of whats there

racso1975 wrote: »
    Will take the superb for a spin and feed back on it. thanks and keep the options/feedback coming

I'm sure you'll be surprised. The 130bhp engine has plent of poke and make sure you go for the comfort model.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

You should go for an Octavia, they have a massive boot!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,968 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Can a mod hijack the poll and add in a Lada Riva and then the OP has to buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭martin1016

From personal experience I would go VAG, I bought a 97 110 TDi estate out of the UK a few years back, has covered 180k miles now and it flew the NCT the other day. Its boring and not the most engaging drive but for covering miles its hard to beat. Comfortable, ecconomical and loads of room. Not too well up on the newer models but imagine they should be on a par quality wise.

BTW - try NI as there are soe great deals up there

2007 DSG 140 bhp - Will be over your budget but you could get a low mile 06 maybe 07 with a bit of searching and luck.

2007 Sport

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭pf85

I would definitely recommend the Honda Accord.

I have a 05 2.2icdti Accord and get great MPG 46-55 from mixed driving (around 1100km per tank). Parts and servicing is slightly more expensive but they are extremely reliable and comfortable, quite nippy too! They have also the biggest boot ive seen in any car! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Skoda Superb all the way, only because your not worried about depriciation and the 130 is a great engine. Their chassis was based on the current model Passat, so they are alot longer than the older passat we'll say (if your going 04 backwards.)

Nope, the chassis on the Superb is based on the 04 and older Passat. It's a stretched version of that chasses. As a result it's fairly crap to drive. I'm not a fan of that engine either. Seems to be fairly reliable alright but no more so than any of the rest and a lot louder than all of the rest.
    The Accord is a good car, the Beemer and Passat have a good few miles on them at this stage. You'd be better off with a lower mileage Passat 140bhp version than a high mileage 170 version.

Biro wrote: »
    Nope, the chassis on the Superb is based on the 04 and older Passat. It's a stretched version of that chasses. As a result it's fairly crap to drive. I'm not a fan of that engine either. Seems to be fairly reliable alright but no more so than any of the rest and a lot louder than all of the rest.

Ah excuse me, i was talking to a fella for about an hour about his one, and he was the fella who told me that. Sounded like he knew it all:o My bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Ah excuse me, i was talking to a fella for about an hour about his one, and he was the fella who told me that. Sounded like he knew it all:o My bad

No worries. The new Superb is however. Although I'm not sure if they bothered stretching the chassis for the new Superb. Probably not.
    I think the only chassis Skoda got before VW was the Fabia one. That came out in 2000 and was using the platform that the 2002 Polo was going to get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭mcloughl

well I have an 04 Accord with 38k on the Clock. 2.0 Petrol with a brand new set of tyres and NCT till Jan 2010.

Was going to trade it for 10k but if you are interested....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Adverts that way --> but I would go for the Accord.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hal1 wrote: »
    Adverts that way -->

Nope, that is just a scroll bar. Try here.

I had a 320d and it soaked up the miles fine, but I did not find the boot very big at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

mcloughl wrote: »
    well I have an 04 Accord with 38k on the Clock. 2.0 Petrol with a brand new set of tyres and NCT till Jan 2010.

Was going to trade it for 10k but if you are interested....

OP is doing 800km a week so diesel is the only way to go.

With a max 720kms from a full tank he's looking at around €60 a week in fuel :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I sold an 03 Petrol Accord a few months ago - already have a 10 year old and twins on the way so needed something bigger:eek: Anyway it was a great car and was sorry to see it go. If you do go for an Accord I'd suggest you go for the exec spec as leather seats are great for kids (black is best). Also it's really easy to fit an ipod adapter (hard wired not an fm transmitter) which works with the steering wheel controls (available for around 70-80 euro on Ebay).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭madaboutcars

Have to say the comments about Toyotas here and on other threads made me laugh. Everyone in this country seems to have them, especially compared to the rest of Europe. I notice they sell for quite a lot of money used too.

I've always wondered why. I've never driven one, but given their bad rep on this forum I think I don't to ever drive one either. They do seem *really* boring from a passenger's perspective too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

bemmer all the way unless the octivia has that lovely leather interior.... either of the two you cant go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

my mate is selling his 07 Passat Saloon for €16400. It has low mileage aswell. Push him and he might go lower and you would get a lot of car for your money

The boot is huge in these aswell

http://www.cbg.ie/Car_Detail.aspx?ID=2533212

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

joeperry wrote: »
    +1 530d,manual version about 5-7 more mpg than auto.

http://www.carlist.ie/114795

what ya reckon 15k all in and 45 mpg??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭cmcsoft

I saw this car the weekend (if I was changing I would be interested) when looking with brother in law

http://www.divane.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1260322

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

cmcsoft wrote: »
    I saw this car the weekend (if I was changing I would be interested) when looking with brother in law

http://www.divane.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1260322

go onto ebay uk type in 05 passat, they are making 5sterling (new shape) thats 6400 euro, vrt in january is 3400 all in including ferry less than 10k euro. why give this lad 5grand extra??? i wouldnt

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Well went to the dealer the other day and took out the Superb for a test drive. Was a very nice car top of the range spec heated seats front and back with massive leg room in the back. Askin price was 15900 was will to take it for 15 but dealer wouuld not budge off of 15250 which i thought was a bit much.

Then i Went to the garage next door which happened to have a skoda octavia which you can see was not in the equation. the elegance model with the full leather interion and 50k on the clock and FSSH. The dealer was looking for 11900 and i got it for 10500 which i was very happy with. Will be picking it up tuesday cannot wait!!! will post pics when i get it.

Thanks again for all your advice

• Advertisement
Advertisement