Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Sites Mapping

Options
  • 02-12-2008 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi all,

Been having a look around Irish sites to see who's putting Google Maps and Virtual Earth to good use. Firstly I can't find any VE examples on major sites, has anyone else found some?

What I have found is two Daft.ie pages:

http://www.daft.ie/maps/index.daft
    http://www.daft.ie/news/2006/daft_launches_broadband_property_maps.daft

There is no link to these pages on the Daft site but it is a working mapping app that seems to have been created back in 2006! Anyone come across it before? I've also heard that Daft don't pay the Google primium charge and that when they go over the capped number of views in a month they change the basic map at the bottom of a page to Yahoo Map, anyone know if this is true? I've personally never noticed it.

Another link I found was http://www.propertynews.ie. I hadn't heard of them but collegues had and they seem to have put a nice bit of work into their google map (not a fan of their pin though).

MyHome are as there were when the internet first heard of mapping and not worth talking about.

I can't think of any other industires in Ireland that are using mapping applications. I have seen GeoDirectory and what their doing with addresses and maps is great but very expensive from what I hear.

My interest in this comes from the fact that I did some work with VE in my college final year and thought it and it's compeditors had great potential (2005/06) which seems to have realised in applications in other countries but not here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 PropertyPal

Check out our site and tell me what you think of the way we have done our maps. If you are looking for property in Northern Ireland we will hopefully be the weapon of choice very soon. We are the fastest growing property website in Northern Ireland. We are working on a new design and it should be ready in early 2009.

Our website is PropertyPal.com

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Belfry

It looks good. I like the presentation and design which I rate highly compared to others I've seen in Ireland. I would say from a user functionality side I'd prefer to see more pins at a high level or a way to view what props are there rather than always having to go to the closest level. I get why it's like that as I'm looking at ways to cluster/manage pins at the moment. PropertyNews seem to have found a good way to do it, they have great mapping functionality, but I can't give them any marks for presentation personally.

How did you go about clustering?

Advertisement