Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rapid hiv testing

Options
  • 02-12-2008 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know whether any of the clinics in Ireland have the rapid HIV test (the 20 minute one where you don't have to wait weeks for your result?)

I want to get tested and though i don't think I need to worry, the thought of waiting freaks me out...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

This has been around a while, so I assume the answer to this is no.

My recommendation is to get tested in any of a number of clinics that offer the 3 week testing, then try to put it out of your mind. I think you'll have your results faster that way than waiting for the "rapid" testing to emerge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

A friend of mine got HIV results within 24 hours of being tested at St James's in Dublin. This was under special circumstances though. I've not idea if you can simply request rapid testing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Can't you come up with a more insulting description than "gay"? The homosexual people who post here know they're gay... It's like saying "you black bastard" to a black person.

Its more constructive to report the post and get this person banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I suggest living a healthy lifestyle and forget about getting tested. I think the whole AIDS/HIV testing, treatment and theory itself is bogus: http://www.healtoronto.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Oracle wrote: »
    I suggest living a healthy lifestyle and forget about getting tested. I think the whole AIDS/HIV testing, treatment and theory itself is bogus: http://www.healtoronto.com/

And I think you're an idiot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Oracle wrote: »

Fortunately, the sane 99% of the medical profession disagree with you.

And a "HIV" test will generally get checked for far more infections/diseases than just HIV. Some of which we've known about for hundreds of years (syphilis for instance).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

MYOB wrote: »
    Fortunately, the sane 99% of the medical profession disagree with you.

And a "HIV" test will generally get checked for far more infections/diseases than just HIV. Some of which we've known about for hundreds of years (syphilis for instance).

Hi MYOB interesting comment, I'd like to answer. The majority of the medical profession may disagree with me, but they can be wrong about many important health issues, and have been in the past. Regarding the sanity of the medical profession, their prevalence of mental disorders would likely be similar to the general population, and well above 1%.

A HIV test alone does not detect the presence of other STDs or venereal diseases such as Syphilis. I'm not disputing the fact that Syphilis exists because it is caused by a known identifiable organism. The same cannot be scientifically said about HIV. A routine STD screening would detect Syphilis and a range of other STD's, but the original poster was inquiring about a rapid HIV test.

The abusive and intolerant comment made by Azezil, is typical of those who resent open debate on this topic, and doesn't deserve a response.

This isn't a thread for your poorly founded theories. Try starting a thread on the biology forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

This thread appears to have outlived its useful purpose.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement