Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overtime Question

Options
  • 02-12-2008 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

Can I legally offer overtime to individual staff members in the same role and not others if they are on the same contract? As a reward for their work done in the current year? or for any other reason?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

I believe that you can choose who you want to offer the overtime to, however i wouldnt let it be seen as a "bonus" and if its going to go on for a while it would be better to share it around as otherwise it would cause friction in the camp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

i agree with shelflife, just tell the person they are doing the overtime and leave it at that. be sure its for their job role not someome elses otherwise a nose might get out of joint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Sofa_King Good

i agree with shelflife, just tell the person they are doing the overtime and leave it at that. be sure its for their job role not someome elses otherwise a nose might get out of joint.

Thanks for the response. it's a small "select" group who are needed for untraditional work. But I know most, especially at this time of year would jump at the chance to do it, and word would get round. So there are no equality issues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭ALFIET

I work as a HR Manager and it is NOT FAIR to select people for overtime and not others.

Why not talk to the group as a whole and let them know the requirement for overtime and how many are needed.
    You are looking for volunteers and while it will be on a first come first serve basis, if its oversubscribed some people will be disappointed but you hope to be able to spread it amongst staff so that everyone has the same opporturnity to earn a few extra bob if they want to....

Technically the way you wish to do it is not illegal but it is not best custom and practice and not good for team building and morale!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Either way alfiet if there are 20 workers and only overtime for 10 there will always be someone disappointed.

maybe ask for volunteers and then just "draw" the names of the people you want out of the hat. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 boowho

i would just put all of these together and ask for volunteers then do on a first come first serve basis, obviously some people may not be happy with that but at least it gives them all the opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ALFIET wrote:
    I work as a HR Manager and it is NOT FAIR to select people for overtime and not others.
    I agree.

In my workplace, overtime (or 'additional hours' as it's called as it's not reckonable for pension) is very closely monitored to ensure fairness

Staff are required to submit their names in advance for when they will be available. It is then allocated depending on how much had been allocated already. A notice is posted each day to inform others as to whom is on additional hours and where.

(In an emergency situation, it is allocated to whom can be found at short notice but this then counts as a day done by that person. Personally I think that that's a little bit unfair as the person who drops everthing to go to work at very short notice shouldn't be penalised).
    Shelflife wrote:
    Either way alfiet if there are 20 workers and only overtime for 10 there will always be someone disappointed.
    If it's a 'once off' occurance of overtime, it should be allocated on the basis of seniority IMO.

Advertisement