Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Appealing Driving Test Result

Options
  • 02-12-2008 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi all i failed my test recently however i feel I did not get a fair test. There are many grade 2 faults listed that I simply did not commit also I was given grade 2 marks for hand signals and I wasnt even asked to demonstrate a hand signal so Im a bit cofused and upset by these marks and i have thought it over and decided I want to appeal the test. I know I am only enititled to a re-test but just feel I shouldnt leave it incase this may be a re-occuring trend with the tester.

Does anyone know the procedure for appealing a driving test or what the chances are of succesfully appealing it??

I am not being bitter or annoyed here and I would be the first to accept the fail if I thought its the result I deserved but there are some very suspect marks on the report and I just dont see where they have come from.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

Hi,

One important point to note is that the appeal has to be on the grounds that test was conducted improperly or unfairly - obviously this is your opinion as the tester and RSA will probably contest it. You cannot appeal just on the faults alone i.e. that you believe your reverse, for example, was good enough not to warrant a grade 2.

My personal opinion is that it is only worth appealing in exceptional cases, in most cases its best to just forget it, learn from it and move on. The RSA make an attempt to not assign the same tester again but this is on a 'best effort' basis so no gaurantee there.

If you do appeal please come back and update as I'm sure lots of people would be interested in understanding how the process works and what the outcome was.

Best of luck,

Declan.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just to note. If you are successful in an appeal, all you will receive is a free test date to complete your test again, your previous result will not be upgraded to a pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

I can see where you're coming from. Yes, it is a hassle to go to court and yes, if you win, you only get a free re-test worth the princely sum of €38 and not a driving licence. But from reading your initial post, it seems that your sense of fairness has been struck by this and if the facts are as you say they are (be honest with yourself), then I would probably do the same in your situation. If your tester did not conduct your test properly, then yes you should take the steps laid out to challenge this. Obviously if everyone took the attitude that sure it's less than forty quid and a lot of hassle, incompetent testers would never be accountable for their decisions. So if you take a very honest look at what happened and if you genuinely feel that there are reasons for a complaint, I say go for it, and fair play to you.

On a related point though, I do think it is a flaw that there is no intermediate review procedure before going to the district court. Ideally, I would suggest that the testing supervisors be given an additional role as a reviewer or moderator of complaints; I imagine for most people this would be much less arduous and stressful than automatically going to court. If the problem could not be resolved at this level, then go to court as a last resort, rather than a first. Just a thought...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

How do you expect to prove you weren't asked to do hand signals (and I find that VERY hard to believe, they're part of EVERY test) when there is no independent observer during the test or means of recording it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Sup08

Sorry CAPL but it is impossible to get 2 grade 2's for hand signals as there is only one grade 2 area available on the result sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

CapL wrote: »
    Im a bit cofused and upset
    Never instigate legal proceedings if you are 'confused and upset'. You'll just end up frustrated and more upset.

As others have said, learn from the experience and move on. At least nowadays, the waiting times are very short, not like years ago when you could be waiting for another 2 years for another test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

......and bearing in mind that, even if you win your appeal and are granted a retest, you may not be successful in the actual test.

It's much easier just to apply again. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

eth0_ wrote: »
    How do you expect to prove you weren't asked to do hand signals (and I find that VERY hard to believe, they're part of EVERY test) when there is no independent observer during the test or means of recording it?

EVERY test?
    Not sure about that now, did my test in August and passed but I was never asked in anyway to do hand signals.
    Its certainly not asked in 100% of tests :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Dont recall being asked to demonstrate handsignals in my test either (Nov last year)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 trster100

Your absolutely wasting your time appealing. You WILL NOT WIN.
    Unless there was a witness, i.e. a supervisor in the car, you cannot prove hand signals were not asked.
    You also say that there were several faults that you did not commit. Sorry but you cannot argue this as you are obviously not qualified to back up this claim, the tester is (I'm a tester, I know). If you knew you were making mistakes you obviously wouldn't make them. Thats why some fail and some pass.
    Just practice some more, reapply and go again.
    Tester.

Advertisement