Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yellow flowered weed tearing through my lawn..

Options
  • 02-12-2008 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I recently got my lawn rotavated and reseeded and the grass came on really quickly.

Over the past 4 weeks, theres a yellow flowered weed after coming through and its rapidly taking over a big part of the lawn.

Can anyone identify it and tell me should I wait until the spring to put something on it, or should I get some sort of weed killer that won't kill my grass now?

Thanks!

Grass1.jpg

Grass2.jpg

Grass3.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

It is like a wild rape seed - or at home its called Prosh-et
    This appears when the soil has been turned and the seed can live in the soil for 7 years before germinating.
    It is an annual weed- Keep the grass cut to get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Hi Trotter,

lawn looks poorly and patchy and doesn't appear that the area was sprayed before/after rotovation. Agree with other poster, regular cutting will help, unfortunately wrong time of year for regular cutting, but you should try every dry opportunity, and prevent the weed from seeding. Set blade at mid point and cut regularly.

Not recommended to use weedkiller on new lawn ie < 6 months old. Put a winter feed down, help build up lawn root strength and resistance to weed, because the weed appears to taking over and control!!

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

The lawn was only done in September so it hasn't had a decent chance to thicken up really. I'll cut it early in the new year and get a weed and feed mixture around early spring. I'll get some winter feed asap.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Dont worry about the yellow weed. This is common in re-seeded land and should not survive after it is cut once..
    Apart from that you may need to over-sow any bare patches again in the spring and keep it well fed..
    As previously said go easy with the weed+feeds until the grass has established or it may die back..

Cheers
    bam

Advertisement