Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying a tv from northern ireland

Options
  • 02-12-2008 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

hi guys,i am buying 2 tv,s and am heading north this week.some one has just told me they may not work here in the republic, can anyone confirm this or advise

Comments

they'll work..

can you think of any reason they wouldn't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭car39

smeone mentioned signal ,thought was bit strange myself but wanted to double check

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭poppers

Old tv's from the uk could not pick up irish chanels through roof top aeriel dont know if this is still the case but if you are using a sky box decode you shouold have no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭car39

we with ntl so have extra points in the bedrooms which just get the usual 15 or 16 channels.

then ur grand wit ntl i presume..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

my friend bought a tv in currys before and it could only receive uhf, not vhf as the channels are on in ireland. He had ntl basic cable btw. Make sure the tv can receive a vhf signal

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Some UK Tvs cannot receive any analog while ones that do are generally UHF only. Thats not a problem if you are in an area with only uhf transmission or don't receive terrestrial signal i.e. have ntl or sky. Likewise, all that is crap soon enough when we all start on digital signals and very few tvs can decode what we will have i.e. must have mpeg4 and not mpeg2 like the UK. Best place in the north is richer sounds in Belfast as they will advise you properly unlike some stores who will most likely tell you what you want to hear and they deliver down here for cheap, they havea forum on these boards.
    best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mrtoast

i bought a panasonic lcd tv from richer sounds last august. it worked fine on ntl and sky when we moved from ntl. richer sounds deliver south very cheaply if you want to save yourself a journey...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

everything should work fine on ntl or sky cause the box is doing the decoding etc and the tv is simply taking theinput and showing it, itsnot picking any signal up bar from the box output.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    my friend bought a tv in currys before and it could only receive uhf, not vhf as the channels are on in ireland. He had ntl basic cable btw. Make sure the tv can receive a vhf signal

I think you should get yr facts right before putting yr keyboard into gear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

c4cat wrote: »
    I think you should get yr facts right before putting yr keyboard into gear
    i feel like i should say the same to you. my friend had to return it for that reason and because it could only pick up one or two channels that are broadcast on high frequencies. what was he doing wrong when he selected auto scan?

not the most reliable source but:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_high_frequency#United_Kingdom
    However the 1970s saw a large increase in UHF TV viewing while VHF took a significant decline: The appeal of colour, which was never introduced to VHF (despite preliminary plans to do so in the late 1950s and early 1960s) and the fall in television prices saw most households use a UHF set by the end of that decade. With the second and last VHF television service having launched in 1955, VHF TV was finally decommissioned for good in 1985 with no plans for it to return to use.

currys is a uk store remember

Advertisement