Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pho Bo

• 02-12-2008 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Does anyone have a quick and easy recipe for Pho Bo and would anyone know where to buy the ingredients in Dublin? Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Big Chinese shop by the Luas Stop on Abbey Street will have everthing you'll I bet :)

Recipes all over the 'net !

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Pygmie

Thanks. I'll check out the Chinese place at the weekend. Has anyone got any quick and easy recipes for Pho Bo that they've tried themselves and can recommend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Hmmmm - one of my Vietnamese cookbooks at home, I went through looking at the Pho recipes. The long recipe would take you three days to make. There short recipe is basically pre-made beef stock, slivered beef and noodles, with appropriate veggies and seasoning. Haven't made it yet - but I will say one thing about noodle soups - less is more on the spice front. You want a very drinkable broth, not basically a gritty sludge that you end up trying to fish the noodles out of...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I'll echo MAJD in that there is no quick and easy pho recipe - the intensely flavoured stock that forms the basis of the soup is an epic in itself - bones (chicken or beef) roasted for 30 minutes to colour them, then simmered with vegetables and spices for 2 hours. Once the stock is ready, the rest is a doddle, but preparing the remaining ingredients takes some time. Stock cubes or concentrate just won't give the same result.

Tom Kime has a good recipe for Pho Ca (Chicken Pho) in his book Exploring Taste & Flavour. You might find it on a blog on t'interweb.

Ahh. That's what I thought. Wishful thinking on my part that it could be simpler. I've heard that Ho Sen in Dublin is a pretty good Vietnamese restaurant (although I haven't had a chance to eat there) but does anyone know any others? Thanks for all the replies!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 superdad

Can you advise of a Thai food store in Dublin city centre that stock authentic Thai foods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Anyone know any places that do a nice bowl of Pho? Had it abroad and was one of the best things I've had.

I've heard that Ho Sen in Temple Bar do nice Pho but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Will have to make a special trip into town one cold Saturday for a bowl!

Advertisement