Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child benefit..still waiting after 13 months?

Options
  • 02-12-2008 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Our son is now 13 months old but we are still waiting for any kind of payment for him. 3 times we've rang the child benefit department and have only been told that there are a lot of applications to go through before ours is dealt with. We've been patient until now but i was laid off from my job last week and we will now need any income we can get to help cope.
    Reading some of the posts on boards.ie i see that this is quite a long time to be waiting for the payments.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

Do you mind me asking if you and your child are Irish born? Because I think that the run of the mill applications (I mean Irish born parents and Irish born child) are carried out by a different section.
    I think that it has to do with the different checks that have to be made. You may get a more accurate (or even more correct :P) response of you post in the social welfare thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

clyner79 wrote: »
    Our son is now 13 months old but we are still waiting for any kind of payment for him. 3 times we've rang the child benefit department and have only been told that there are a lot of applications to go through before ours is dealt with. We've been patient until now but i was laid off from my job last week and we will now need any income we can get to help cope.
    Reading some of the posts on boards.ie i see that this is quite a long time to be waiting for the payments.

Thats shocking. My son was born October 2007 (same as yours i guess) and i got my first payment the following month. I didnt even apply for it although i already had one child so was getting payment anyway for him.

Keep calling. You could try going to your local welfare officer see if they can tide you over.

Something is not right somewhere. The only good thing is you will receive the back money in a lump. I would make some noise, as a civil servant myself it seems to be the only way to get things done and thats the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

I still ahven't received payment for my second daughter and she was born November 2007, so that's 12 months. Would anyone have a number to call to check it up?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

My Son was born in January in Australia, both my husband and I are Irish and we moved back here in July.

I applied for CB in July, and kept ringing every second week. I am getting all my back payments on Tuesday of next week.

Keep ringing. I had to send in loads of paperwork, copies of passports, doctors notes, flight ticket stubs etc, but, in the end it is worth it.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭In$omniac

Wow that is a long time to wait, keep ringing them, everyday if need be and keep names of those you have spoken to.

Whilst your waiting go to your welfare officer they normally sit in your local health clinic, explain your situation they will help you out.
    I had only to wait 7months and got it all back dated, I hope you get it sorted soon enough :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭In$omniac

beth-lou wrote: »
    I still ahven't received payment for my second daughter and she was born November 2007, so that's 12 months. Would anyone have a number to call to check it up?

Thanks.

Here is some contact info for you, I hope it helps :)
    Child Benefit Section

Department of Social and Family Affairs
    Social Welfare Services Office
    St Oliver Plunkett Road
    Letterkenny
    Donegal
    IRELAND
    Opening Hours:
    You can only contact this office by telephone.
    Tel: (01) 704 3000

Locall:1890 400 400

http://www.welfare.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

I'd be inclined to ask for someone high up like an APO or AP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Our son was born at the end of October, and we are already geting payments.

You need someone to light a fire under them, try a visit to the local TD, much as i hate the clientism in national politics, it does work to clear issues..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

As far as I remember, once you have registered the birth of your child at your local Births, Deaths & Marriages office your Child Benefit is paid within a month of the registration. If its delayed it must be a more complex case.

Oh, and just noticed - the Early Childcare Supplement is in the bank today. Enjoy the lump sum, because from January onwards it will be paid at a rate of €92 per month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

DS no 1 born in UK moved back here 2006 got CB straight away, DS no 2 born in November 2007 got his CB straight away. I wouldnt take no for an answer ... go down there in person if you have to and kick up a stink ... make them show you the paper work you submitted... sometimes they lose things and dont admit it. Dont take no for an answer. The ones who cry loudest always get dealt with first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 clyner79

Axel rose,to answer your question we are irish born,so i dont understand the delay. Thanks to all you guys for your inputs and advice. I will get on to them again and again until i get some satisfaction. Will let ye know of any change. Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

My 2 born in Oct 2007 also and got payments immediately. Don't understand how they can delay this is you are both Irish and child born here. I'd be kicking up a stink at this stage. Local TD is the way to go. I'd try the FF one as they will be so nervous about their seat now, that they will help out in the hope of getting a vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Roxyb

my advice is be very pushy.. When my daughter was born last year they didnt give me child benefit until she was 4 months old. I was also on single parent allowance as i was ill throughout my pregancy. So it got changed from disabilty to single parent. They finally put the money in my account. but sent me the wrong ammount according to my calculations. They gave me almost 1000 less than i was due they told me my calcutions were wrong. But i was very persistant so one of the mangers in the office rang me apolagising saying that it was an error of calculation on their computers and sent me the 1000 that i was owed. So my advice is to ring every day if you have to ask to speak to the supervisers and make sure that the ammount they send you is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I`m waiting for CB 14 months

Advertisement