Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

B_STARD Insurance companies !

Options
  • 02-12-2008 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭

Sooo angry :mad:, long story short, d1ck crashed into my car on single track road, insurance companies have agreed knock for knock with a valuation of my car at 700 yooyoos, so all i get back is 350 (and then probably have to buy the bl00dy car back if i take their blood money).

Utterly disgusted with this and would be very grateful of any suggestions on where to go from here ( i don't wanna accept this judgement and i also want to inflict maximum pain on the driver of the other vehicle (albeit metaphorically)), so please, anyone got any ideas ? small claims ? insurance ombudsman ?

Simply unjust (he hit my car, not the other way around) and I don't see why I should stand for it...

FBP.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

If you can't prove it, there's very little chance. Proof is everything and especially on a one track road.

What's your car?

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

If you can't prove it, there's very little chance. Proof is everything and especially on a one track road.

What's your car?

I thought I had proved it. pictures and everything. Seems its easier to agree than pay out. my car is an old 94 vectra but its in very good condition and low mileage.. no way i'd get another car in this condition for 700, let alone 350 !!!!

fatboypee wrote: »
    I thought I had proved it. pictures and everything. Seems its easier to agree than pay out. my car is an old 94 vectra but its in very good condition and low mileage.. no way i'd get another car in this condition for 700, let alone 350 !!!!

I think there was a thread the very same as this not so lon back. Like wise with something like an Opel Senator or something, low mileage etc. etc. Got offered 600 or the likes. They'll give you the market value of the car, or which i know 350 is pretty crappy, but it is 14, nearly 15 years old.

I think there was a thread the very same as this not so lon back. Like wise with something like an Opel Senator or something, low mileage etc. etc. Got offered 600 or the likes. They'll give you the market value of the car, or which i know 350 is pretty crappy, but it is 14, nearly 15 years old.

That was my thread, jut got the judgement through. The issue is where do i go now ? I don't wanna let this go, i don't really care about the $$ as much as the principles:

1) he crashed me, why should I lose ?
    2) I pay good money on insurance, why should I lose ? / get robbed?

so am asking for ideas on pursuing this..

thanks

FBP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

It's not great to hear your car is worth so little, but that's really how it is I'm afraid. There's not much you can do about it but accept the loss and move on. Fighting an insurance company for at most a few hundred euro is a bit of a waste of energy, as you're unlikely to come out of the process any happier.

Gil

• Advertisement

That was my thread, jut got the judgement through. The issue is where do i go now ? I don't wanna let this go, i don't really care about the $$ as much as the principles:

1) he crashed me, why should I lose ?
    2) I pay good money on insurance, why should I lose ? / get robbed?

so am asking for ideas on pursuing this..

thanks

FBP

Someone hit into the father recently and drove off. He would lose all his no claims and have to pay 300 euro to get the damage fixed. So he didn't go through the insurance. I think insurance is generally for the very serious cases.

Here's a new model, two years newer that would definitly be bought for 1k, maybe less. And
    Opel vectra 1994 Dublin €400.00 1.7, isuzu eng, alloys , ew, sr, bootspoiler,€400,

Gil_Dub wrote: »
    It's not great to hear your car is worth so little, but that's really how it is I'm afraid. There's not much you can do about it but accept the loss and move on. Fighting an insurance company for at most a few hundred euro is a bit of a waste of energy, as you're unlikely to come out of the process any happier.

Gil

I know, thanks for the post. Y'see I simply do not care at this stage. the car is driveable, and its got over a year to NCT so its not about that. Its about ensuring the other driver does not get away with this and about making a point. If that means keeping this going (within reason), I shall do so, just need suggestions...

FBP.

Someone hit into the father recently and drove off. He would lose all his no claims and have to pay 300 euro to get the damage fixed. So he didn't go through the insurance. I think insurance is generally for the very serious cases.

Here's a new model, two years newer that would definitly be bought for 1k, maybe less. And

Maybe I'm not mature enough to accept this way of doing things..
    simply put, my wife was driving my car, she had 4 kids with her, my son saw the d1ck speeding across the valley and warned her to pull over, she did, full beam on, he saw her on a straight bit of road, fully tucked into the side as much as possible, skiddded, lost control and ended up taking the side of my car out and balancing over a drop on 2 wheels.

Yet, its fifty -ffing - fifty ?

you see why i don't wanna let this drop ? If my boy had not seen him, wife, kids etc may well have been seriously hurt.

FBP.

you see why i don't wanna let this drop ? If my boy had not seen him, wife, kids etc may well have been seriously hurt.

FBP.

I know what your saying, it's annoying. I'd say you need legal advice so, of which i can't give. Best of luck with it anyway OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

How much is/was the car insured for? i.e what was the value as put down on the insurance?

I was just thinking If my car was insured with a value of €4k then someone smashed my car and it was written off. Will the insurance co. pay me €4k or what they judge it to be worth?

• Advertisement

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    How much is/was the car insured for? i.e what was the value as put down on the insurance?

I was just thinking If my car was insured with a value of €4k then someone smashed my car and it was written off. Will the insurance co. pay me €4k or what they judge it to be worth?

What they judge it to be worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

No chance. Otherwise the fast track to a new car would be as simple a buying a 15 year old vectra for €400, insuring it for €100k , writing it off and buying yourselve a brand new S-Class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Maybe I'm not mature enough to accept this way of doing things..
    simply put, my wife was driving my car, she had 4 kids with her, my son saw the d1ck speeding across the valley and warned her to pull over, she did, full beam on, he saw her on a straight bit of road, fully tucked into the side as much as possible, skiddded, lost control and ended up taking the side of my car out and balancing over a drop on 2 wheels.

Yet, its fifty -ffing - fifty ?

FBP.

You might be better reporting him for dangerous driving.

Insurance wise, best could do is claim against him and keep hassling the insurance company, so come renewal his premium will be inflated because of an outstanding claim. Thats what happened to me even though it wasn't my fault and in the end it was dropped.

No witnesses, no proof. unless theres evidence like tyre marks. My dad won a case based on the evidence of tyre tracks once.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Why are you only getting half if the insurance comapany are going "knock for knock "- this means each party look after there own damage

With regards liability was there a Gaurd called - if so he may give an opinion on liability which would help your case

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

They won't pay you out this amount as others have said, but it's no reason not to insure a banger for €4k. If you give them the correct value of a cheap car they'll load your insurance, where as if you say it's worth €4k your quote will be lower. I learnt the hard way after years of being honest

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Write, not phone, to your insurance company, and tell them you're not accepting knock-for-knock.

If your car was, as you say, stopped, and pulled in, then there's no 50-50 in it - it's all down to the other guy.

I'd also argue that your entitled to a like-for-like replacement. If that cost yous 2k, that's what you should get.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

If a Guard wasn't a witness he has no opinion. AFAIK

Thanks for the replies.

I've no intention of accepting 50/50 and will be writing a remarkably stinking reply. notably, the letter came from the other parties' insurer (I'm not experienced at this type of thing), but arguing against 50/50 on this with them will be rather difficult for obvious reasons.

The letter also alluded to the lack of eye witness accounts, even though my claim was chock-full of photos of the road positioning, my car damage and the massive long skidmark on twat-mans side of the road ,oh, and the bollixed ditch where his car ended up on two wheels...

Yet they go 50/50 ! :mad:

My question remains tho, if they won't budge on 50/50, do I have any recourse thru small claims maybe, or an appeals procedure ??

thanks

fbp.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Its called fobbing you off.
    However, given the low value of your car in todays conditions and that I don't think this would affect your NCB either, you should ask yourself, is it really worth the hassle.

My car was damaged earlier this year (other party accepted full liability). Their insurance company decided to seriously undervalue the car (by about 50%). In the end I trawled through various websites and got examples of cars wother way way more than was realistic (one was about 4 times the amount they originally said mine was worth) but this strengthened my case. In the end I got a cheque, not for what I felt the car was worth but way more than they originally offered.

Advertisement