Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I feel like I am no where in the world cause of disability.

Options
  • 02-12-2008 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I was approved for long term disability. I am a 25 year old female. I was out of work since late 2007. I have been taking medication for depression for 10 years. Within the last 3 years, I have trouble with my short term memory, processing speed, and explaining things. Since I am on disability now, I am weaning off slowly from the medications.

But my problem is......look at where I am. I am supposed to have a full time job working somewhere, like my sisters. I am fusturated. My head reminds me every day, several times a day about where I am in life. I feel like I am no where.

Yes, I plan to be working after I wean off of these medication. I hope I get my brain back after I wean off of these meds. But that doesn't make me feel better, because I don't know where the hell I am going. Who knows if I will be able to work after I get off the medication. I don't know where I am going. I have no plan. But my goal is to be independent and happy. Job or no job. That is my goal. It's just fusturating being where I am in the world. I get upset sometimes because of this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

OP you should not be so harsh on yourself, you were granted disability for a valid reason and have nothing to be ashamed of.
    Try to avoid comparing yourself to others as their situation is different, just work toward your goals and do the best you can. Be sure to maintain realistic goals however as, remember, you are only human.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

fully agree with Hellmo - you were/are suffering from depression bad enough to put you out of work & force you onto medication; all you can do is work upwards & hope for the best. Good luck with it all! and if it makes you feel any better, I am a relatively well adjusted 27 year old & I don't know where I am going in life myself really! Just one plan - get my black belt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭atheist

Hi Undefined Dreams,

Next week I'm asking Citizens Information for an advocate and I suggest you do the same. They will be statutorily empowered eventually to fine those who frustrate us on disabilities being fairly treated.

I'm 41, which should be the time of my life to be earning a good wage, but will have earned €18,000 last year.

Plan for what you need to do next, don't crash and burn, it'll work out. I don't like being dependant on other people, and have ostricised those who frustrate me despite them saying they've the best of intentions. The help needs to be on your terms and not make extra work.

On wishful thinking, one pundit said the way to reinflate the economy would be to give money to those on welfare, as we would be sure to go out and spend it!

Happy new year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Sorry to hear about your troubles original poster. I am kinda in the same boat myself. Im 25 and I havenbt worked since the start of last year. I have been on numerous amounts of medication over the last 12-14 years for my depression and general anxiety. I have gone ot countless doctors, phsycologists(sp) hypnotists, everything thats available I have tried but I just cant seem to shake it from me. I have had very bad times when I wanted to end it all and I was caught a few times trying to, but I am delighted I have not succeeded in that.
    I have a wonderful gorgeous girlfriend of the last 2 and a half years, she is my rock. She lives about 20 miles away from me and I have never been to her house. At the moment I have a safety radius around my house which is only about half a mile. I just cant seem to go any further than that for the last, I dunno how long.
    I bring my bike with me everywhere "just incase" I get a panic attack and need to get home quick. Sadly I got caught drink driving a few weeks back because of this, but I cant complain I shouldnt have done that.
    I have left school without any qualifications because of it all.

I could go on but I wouldnt mind keeping some things private. It sounds all sad, I know I will work some day, hopefully soon. I will move in with my princess of a girlfriend and have kids and do all the "normal" things people do.
    At the moment I'm doing really crap. Funny thing is though, apart from been upset about my prediciment, Im probably one of the happiest people you could meet.
    Great family,Great friends, offers of places to stay in almost every county in Ireland from biker mates who are dying to bring me to a rally. Also and it might sound funny, I also have forums like this, that alhtough I dont know the people, it does actually help to be abloe to post to some username and not one answer you got back has been bad or anything, everyone of them has been of encouragement and friendliness.
    I know its easier said than done, but Always look on the bright side of life.

Take care and if you ever need ot chat, Im only a PM away. Even if your on vodafone I can ring ya anytime ya want as I have that free calls and texts things. We will get through this.

take care

Séany xx

(bet ye neer thought there many bikers out there like me lol):(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

atheist wrote: »
    Hi Undefined Dreams,

Next week I'm asking Citizens Information for an advocate and I suggest you do the same. They will be statutorily empowered eventually to fine those who frustrate us on disabilities being fairly treated.
    Wasn't the advocacy service cut over the summer? See http://www.inclusionireland.ie/news_inmedia.asp

Regardless, I'm pretty sure the advocates would not have had any power to impose fines. They would simply help you to get your rights and entitlements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭atheist

Hi Serial Complaint,

I agree with you re the objectives, however the 'The Citizens Information Act 2007', when enacted has teeth.

See Page 12:
    (5) A person who by act or omission obstructs
    or hinders a personal advocate in the performance
    of his or her functions shall be guilty of an offence
    and shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine
    not exceeding 2,000 or imprisonment for a term
    not exceeding 3 months or both.

The delay

Happy new year

Goodnight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Thanks for the clarification. In fairness, the fine applies to someone who obstructs the advocate, not someone who frustrates 'fair treatment' for the person with a disability.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

OP check http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57416

Your only 25 most people don´t have a clue where they´re at at 30.

Stop comparing yourself with other people or you will never be happy. you are unique , you are different.

Most people would be lying if they told you they´d never experienced feeling down at some stage in their life. In fact i think the stats for ireland are one in five, so your not alone. Maybe joining a Peer Support group or speaking to a trusted friend would help you when your down? Also not having a job makes a lot of people down.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭meboloxitis

Your story really touched me & I hope all works out for you.

Sometimes just blowing off steam helps get me through the day...

Keep your chin up! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 UndefinedDreams

Thank you all for your replies. I feel a lot better now. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement