Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dress Purchase Practice and Risks

Options
  • 02-12-2008 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Having just commenced a search for the dress of my dreams a few practical aspects of the purchase transaction occur to me and I would love some advice on best practice in relation to the purchase process.
    1. it has been suggested that I pay a deposit of 50%, even 7 months in advance. This is on the basis that the designer/manufacturer wants up front payment and that the retail shop/outlet and the end customer share this advance payment. I have a concern that if either the boutique or the designer/manufacturer goes out of business within the next 7 months I will lose a substantial deposit!
    2. most shops I have visited say that they will not negotiate any discount as a matter of business policy and just make very vague reference to 'throwing in' some accesssory items if I also purchase the bridesmaid dresses with them. What is the actual practice; can I reasonably expect to negotiate a straight discount and at what level....5% or 10 % or even higher?

All advice will be gratefully received.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 cckavs

Just wondering if you got sorted?

I got my dress last May and paid half before they shop would order it. My mam was concerned so quite bluntly asked the shop owner if her business was sound! I nearly died but was glad of the reassurance I got.
    Wedding is not until APRIL so it was a good bit out.

In terms of discount, my dress was 200 cheaper in Drogheda than it was in Dundalk - for the same dress and when I asked in Drogheda for a discount, they told me that they couldnt but did give me a lovely decorative hair band for the day. We went back for my sisters dress and again, no discount but more free accessories!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 clareseam

Many thanks cckavs.
    As things turned out I was able to negotiate purchase of the actual display dress ( in mint condition as only a very short time in the shop) at a 10% discount. It will need very little alteration. Regarding deposit I have since heard that if you use a credit card the bank will cover a situation where the shop goes out of business. However it would be prudent to confirm this. Best wishes for your big day in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭taibhse

Having worked in a bridal shop, I know that with most shops you will have to pay a 50% deposit to order in the dress, I think that applies for most shops and they won't negotiate this with you.

Although 7 months seems like a long time, in bridal it really isn't, we even had brides ordering 2 years in advance! 6 months is usually the minimum in most shops to order in gowns, before you start running into fees for late orders.

You are right though about paying by credit card, so if anything should happen, you are more likely to get it back this way. However I've seen brides do bargaining, and especially if you were to buy bridesmaid dresses with them, the shop I worked in would give between 10-20% discount, all they had to do was ask, which many brides don't know!.

Anyway, good luck with your wedding, hope everything works out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 clareseam

Many thanks for the info. and for confirming the wiadom of using a credit card for deposit.

Advertisement