Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from television

Options
  • 02-12-2008 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭

My first ban!!! :mad:

Hi jaffa20,

You have been banned from Television for the following duration:

7 Day(s)

for the following reason:

thread spoiling (posting spoiler material in the apprentice thread)

Any chance i could be pointed out the "thread spoiling". Not even a warning. I was even using spoilers and being a good boy so can't see what i did wrong tbh.:(
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Its hard to say :confused: all the offending posts are scratch-edited. and it wasnt just you so i dont know why you were banned in particular.

I guess you were Fired. AHAHAHAHAHAHA :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Overheal wrote: »
    Its hard to say :confused: all the offending posts are scratch-edited. and it wasnt just you so i dont know why you were banned in particular.

I just found the page here ; I now see why i was banned. It was for using spoilers.I mean, why cant we use them. Could Bond (the mod) not have just deleted them and warned me cos i had no idea we weren't allowed to use them. And why can't we in this particular thread. Aren't they there for a reason:confused:

you used the spolier tag,
    right?

I wouldnt feel very bad. Bannings are like a hazing ritual. You arent part of the clique until youve been banned my an admin and brought back a smiley from the grave.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

and brought back a smiley from the grave.
    What now?

you used the spolier tag,
    right?

I wouldnt feel very bad. Bannings are like a hazing ritual. You arent part of the clique until youve been banned my an admin and brought back a smiley from the grave.

Yay, in 7 day(s):confused:, i will become part of the clique.... but i can't wait that long to post in television again, bring me back from the dead godammit :pac::pac:

• Advertisement

What's worse is i just read this in the Television Charter which i read before posting of course :

Remember, not everyone may have seen a TV show.
    If you are giving away plot points, please use the spoiler tag.
    To do this, put (spoiler) (/spoiler) around the text. (replace the () brackets with [] brackets.)

It will then look like this:

Spoiler:
    This is a spoiler

Soooooo, i got banned for obeying the rules?

Explanation please Mr Mod Bond-007

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

jaffa20 wrote: »
    What's worse is i just read this in the Television Charter which i read before posting of course :

Remember, not everyone may have seen a TV show.
    If you are giving away plot points, please use the spoiler tag.
    To do this, put (spoiler) (/spoiler) around the text. (replace the () brackets with [] brackets.)

It will then look like this:

Spoiler:
    This is a spoiler

Soooooo, i got banned for obeying the rules?

Explanation please Mr Mod Bond-007

ah, bond-007..
    This thread may shake him, but he wont be stirred.

*leaves in shame*

did you try to PM bond yet?

did you try to PM bond yet?

Nope. Out of fear of questioning a mod's decision but i might just pm him to highlight this thread and see will he explain himself.

• Advertisement

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Nope. Out of fear of questioning a mod's decision but i might just pm him to highlight this thread and see will he explain himself.
    PM'ing a mod is the done thing. Questioning a mod's action in-thread for the world to read, is definitively frowned upon, with the exception of Feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

PM'ing a mod is the done thing. Questioning a mod's action in-thread for the world to read is definitively frowned upon. with the exception of Feedback.

fyp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

fyp

Pretty much.

It's best to resolve with the mod via PM first. If they're not available the other mod(s) for that forum should be able to advise. Take it to helpdesk lastly.

ah yes. that old chestnut..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

[sings]Chestnuts roasting on an open fire...[/sings]

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The ban was given for talking about next weeks apprentice, basically it was mentioned who the winner would be. It is banned as a matter of policy agreed by the mods.

People were discussing the final and were saying who won. It was agreed some time ago that discussion of the finalist and future weeks outcomes would not be tolerated and that offenders would be banned until the final was aired. Spoiler tags would not be a mitigating factor.

That is my position on the matter.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I used to subscribe to that particular thread but now inexplicably am unsubbed so missed any clue as to what the case might be in this particular instance. However I was on on previous days when certain spoilers were posted. They too were editted almost immediately but somewhat ruined the show for a number of users who do not want to find out what happened. I would take it that from that point at some point one of the mods posted a warning in-thread that anyone else posting any spoilers would be banned. I would think that perhaps because you didnt see this post you may have been an unknowing unfortunate. But ignorance of the law is no defence in any court.

I would add reality-show elimination rules to the charter then, bond. just as to be no confusion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Bond-007 wrote: »
    The ban was given for talking about next weeks apprentice, basically it was mentioned who the winner would be. It is banned as a matter of policy agreed by the mods.

People were discussing the final and were saying who won. It was agreed some time ago that discussion of the finalist and future weeks outcomes would not be tolerated and that offenders would be banned until the final was aired. Spoiler tags would not be a mitigating factor.

That is my position on the matter.
    That seems pretty fair in all fairness.
    Nobody wants a rat who tells you whats going to happen 3 months in advance.
    It'd be like suddenly finding out the storyline of what actually did happen in Lost. But we know that'll never happen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement