Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cafe Irie on Primetime

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

If you hadnt been paid for 3 months why would you still go in everyday?

Probably because if he walked they would definitely not pay him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Anyone familiar with the place?
    If you're passing by, has business dropped off drastically?

It'd be interesting to find out

And sure wasn't it the Irish who invented boycotting :)
    Well, not invented it but became very successful at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Paulw wrote: »
    It was disgusting to see, but good that PrimeTime are showing some business for what they are.

It's incredibly unfair on Cafe Irie to be featured like this. What they were doing is pretty bad, but they are not the only ones at it, especially in the industry they are in. You may boycott Cafe Irie and go to the place down the road, but what's to say that the place down the road treats it's staff well?

I know people who are owed larger sums of money from larger companies for work done in the past but have bascially given up any hope of ever getting it. The legislation in this area needs major overhaul.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

then those people should make their issues plublic as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

No sympathy for them at all, if they paid the guys his wages then it wouldnt be an issue. Its not like he was on big money after all the owners are scum taking advantage of a guy like this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

penexpers wrote: »
    It's incredibly unfair on Cafe Irie to be featured like this.

While I agree that it would be nice for everybody to get caught out, their sh*tty behaviour is not less sh*tty because they were the only ones caught.

Jaysoose wrote: »
    No sympathy for them at all, if they paid the guys his wages then it wouldnt be an issue. Its not like he was on big money after all the owners are scum taking advantage of a guy like this.

If they did pay his wages and there wasn't a problem, then no doubt Prime Time would be able to line up hundreds of other people who are owed money by their employers. Point is that worker exploitation is widespread in Ireland and not limited to isolated cases. While it's all well and good boycotting places that are singled out like this, it's really not going to make much difference at all.

If they did pay his wages and there wasn't a problem, then no doubt Prime Time would be able to line up hundreds of other people who are owed money by their employers. Point is that worker exploitation is widespread in Ireland and not limited to isolated cases. While it's all well and good boycotting places that are singled out like this, it's really not going to make much difference at all.

I don't get you.

So you're saying I shouldn't boycott a place that I know are treating people like sh*t because other people are doing it that I don't know about?

Basically a charter for doing nothing because it's not everything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

It's incredibly unfair on Cafe Irie to be featured like this.

No it's not. They refused to pay a staff member what he was legally entitled to and in the end only handed over the money when they were confronted by Primetime about it.

If Primetime hadn't taken it on I doubt that guy would ever have seen his money. Their behaviour being exposed will hopefully stop other businesses doing the same thing to their staff.

I will never eat in either of their premises again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

a friend of mine just lost his metal fabrication business as a result of not being paid what he was owed by customers, some contracts he was due to be paid on strecthed back years

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote: »
    I don't get you.

So you're saying I shouldn't boycott a place that I know are treating people like sh*t because other people are doing it that I don't know about?

Basically a charter for doing nothing because it's not everything?

I would encourage a boycott but not under the assumption that it's going to change anything.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Their behaviour being exposed will hopefully stop other businesses doing the same thing to their staff.

It won't stop their behaviour though. The only thing that will stop their behaviour is the threat of being closed down on the spot and the knowledge that they will be inspected at least every six months, but of course that will never happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

It won't stop their behaviour though. The only thing that will stop their behaviour is the threat of being closed down on the spot and the knowledge that they will be inspected at least every six months, but of course that will never happen.

Perhaps workers being mistreated will be encouraged to make complaints though so hopefully it will make some difference.

Perhaps workers being mistreated will be encouraged to make complaints though so hopefully it will make some difference.

Complain to who though? As was shown in the Prime Time program, the bodies that are supposed to protect these employees are woefully inadaquete.

I would encourage a boycott but not under the assumption that it's going to change anything.

It will change something in this instance. It's going to hurt the dimwit who withheld somebody's wages for three months.

I understand your point though. Boycotting one place provides a focal point for people's rage, nothing meaningful / legislative is done, and the same exploitation carries on. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I boycotted the place after the last time I went there.
    It was beyond sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

It's incredibly unfair on Cafe Irie to be featured like this

No, it's incredibly unfair on the poor Brazilian guy who sold EVERYTHING to come to work in Ireland only to be screwed over by the unscrupulous jerks who run Cafe Irie! Let's face it, he would NEVER have gotten his back pay had Primetime not doorstepped the manager of the cafe.

Maybe it was unfair to only feature one cafe, but it's a one hour show and a lot of research goes into those shows, they wouldn't have had a lot of time to cover any other businesses..

Complain to who though? As was shown in the Prime Time program, the bodies that are supposed to protect these employees are woefully inadaquete.

No they're not. Where in that show did they mention the chap in Cafe Irie had gone to any government agencies? They mentioned that NERA were dealing with thousands of cases this year from migrant workers, and one trucker featured was awarded compensation.

Personally, i'm involved in a case against a former employer along with my former team-mates using NERA. We sent the complaint a month ago, received a letter the other day saying the employer had been informed and a hearing date would be scheduled for the new year. They're a brilliant service.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Apparently there was a number of protesters outside a certain sandwich outlet on Nassau Street today (let's call it "Underground"), with signs saying that the place had fired a member of staff for being pregnant. I wonder if their actions were spurred by the Prime Time documentary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I've a possible solution to this. Firstly, I believe it is wrong that LRC cases are heard in private and that also that an LRC decision is unenforcable. The best thing that could happen would be that where an employee takes a complaint to the LRC, that a decision is issued as opposed to a recommendation and also that the decision is published on the LRC website...

An employer can:

(1) Refuse to attend an LRC hearing

(2) Attend a hearing but refuse to act on any recommendation issued by the LRC. If the LRC recommends compensation, the employer can ignore this recommendation without having to worry about any ramifications for the employer.

As things stand, the hearings are held in private and none of us are any the wiser...

A solution would be for a website to be set up where you can submit your LRC recommendation and name and shame your employer. An employer that doesn't pay an employee for 3 months should be named and shamed.

Just because the LRC holds hearings in private, there is no reason I can think of that prevents an employee from posting their LRC recommendation up on a website in a public forum...

• Advertisement

eth0_ wrote: »
    No they're not. Where in that show did they mention the chap in Cafe Irie had gone to any government agencies? They mentioned that NERA were dealing with thousands of cases this year from migrant workers, and one trucker featured was awarded compensation.

Personally, i'm involved in a case against a former employer along with my former team-mates using NERA. We sent the complaint a month ago, received a letter the other day saying the employer had been informed and a hearing date would be scheduled for the new year. They're a brilliant service.

Yes the trucker was awarded compensation but he never received it, and the impression I get it that there is no ramification for not paying compensation.

Just because they have a government agency set up to deal with cases like this doesn't mean that all is well in the world. The agency still needs to be give the power and the resources to perform it's duties and from the Prime Time program it looks like NERA has not been given either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

micmclo wrote: »
    Unlike the Harvey Norman thread a few days ago, this is a business that deserves to be boycotted
    As the starter of said thread, I fully endorse this new boycotting and/or service.

Seriously...disgraceful. Investigative Journalism is about the only good thing in RTE right now.

What is the point of NERA then, if they have no power to enforce their judgements?
    They are a good organisation but if they can't force rogue employers to pay out compensation and change their ways, they are a black hole of taxpayers' money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

everythings not irie

eth0_ wrote: »
    What is the point of NERA then, if they have no power to enforce their judgements?
    They are a good organisation but if they can't force rogue employers to pay out compensation and change their ways, they are a black hole of taxpayers' money.

I don't know what the point of NERA is.

The same could be said of the PRTB, SCC, PIAB etc. None of them have the power to enforce theit judgements and rely on the courts as a backup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 robjones

Sorry guys - where is this place exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cafe girl

attention please!!!!!
    Cafe Irie on Primetime was happend in thomas st not the one in temple bar . those two coffee shops are own by diffrent pepole . i feel so sorry for the guy which i know just bought cafe irie in temple bar 2 months ago
    is so unfair that is nobody mention the address or anything !!!!!!
    user_online.gifreport.gif progress.gif

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone else here is reconsidering frequenting Cafe Irie after the revelations about non-payment of at least one migrant worker on Primetime Investigates last night?

I like the place - good stir-fries for less than a tenner and decent coffee. But I'm not sure if I want to be giving business to anyone who treats staff so badly.

Opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

Why wasn't the name changed then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Messed Up Mind

Just watching it the prime time investigates programme online now. http://www.rte.ie/news/primetimeinvestigates/ I can't believe that they'd treat someone in that way. It's an absolute disgrace. It really irks me how condescending some Irish people are to others that are from another country. Don't think i'll be eating in there again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

cafe girl wrote: »
    attention please!!!!!
    Cafe Irie on Primetime was happend in thomas st not the one in temple bar . those two coffee shops are own by diffrent pepole . i feel so sorry for the guy which i know just bought cafe irie in temple bar 2 months ago
    is so unfair that is nobody mention the address or anything !!!!!!
    user_online.gifreport.gif progress.gif

I was talking about the one in Temple bar. The service is sh1t, wait 10 minutes while the staff ignore you, stand for 5 minutes at the counter to get their attention, give your order, they get it wrong, etc.

Advertisement