Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cafe Irie on Primetime

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 patrikp

Tago Mago wrote: »
    If there are no longer any connections between the businesses then I think sound business practice should encourage the Temple Bar outlet to distance themselves from the other one by changing the name.
    Believe me ,they are the same people, anyone like to disagree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cafe girl

cafe girl: here is the guy current owned cafe irie in temple bar

simon: it was such a nightmare for me what is it just happend. i bought cafe irie (in temple bar )just 2months ago from pamela and emmon, because i thought is a good place and loved by so many peploe and i thought i was lucky.but now i understand there is a story behind, probley that is the reason they sold it i guest. i have been contact my solictor and had range of the meeting on monday and i will take some legal action.
    the reason we didnot change the name and menu of the cafe because cafe irie been in temple bar for fifteen years and loved by so many peploe and supporters but which i will considering to change the name now.

thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cafe girl

patrikp wrote: »
    Believe me ,they are the same people, anyone like to disagree?

totaly understand why you so angry (i been see the prime time too)but just want to say before you sent any messages make sure is ture things

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

I thought it was an interesting program, especially the well researched look at the mockery made of drivers hours by some haulage companies.

Regarding the Brazilian guy who didn't get paid - was it 1,000 euro or 3,000? After watching the program i thought it was 3k, which would work out at 250 euro a week over the 3 months. I don't know what the agreed wage was, but i'm guessing they weren't paying all that much over minimum wage, so if he was here on a student visa (might be an irish citizen for all i know, just guessing) he might have been working more hours than his visa allowed. That might have been a factor in him not pushing for his pay when they first started messing him about.

If it was visa funny business that the employers were using to take advantage of him, it's just another sign that there should be more employment inspectors doing spot checks, to protect the immigrant workers from exploitation and to protect all workers from a climate of 'shure, it's alright to pay less than minimum wage'.

Cafe Irie (thomas street) is an easy target for our anger though - how about the workers hidden away doing domestic work in our neighbours, relatives, aquaintances homes? For all i know the person i pay to do XYZ has 10 immigrant workers polishing their floors at home for 10e a week while they're out and about doing XYZ for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

cafe girl wrote: »
    cafe girl: here is the guy current owned cafe irie in temple bar

simon: it was such a nightmare for me what is it just happend. i bought cafe irie (in temple bar )just 2months ago from pamela and emmon, because i thought is a good place and loved by so many peploe and i thought i was lucky.but now i understand there is a story behind, probley that is the reason they sold it i guest. i have been contact my solictor and had range of the meeting on monday and i will take some legal action.
    the reason we didnot change the name and menu of the cafe because cafe irie been in temple bar for fifteen years and loved by so many peploe and supporters but which i will considering to change the name now.

thank you

Where did you get this from?

• Advertisement

Good for you
    I hear that a group of students from the national collage of art and design have not only decided to boycott cafe irie but have decided to hold a demonstration outside cafe irie 13.00 dec 18th on behalf of all students.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Why wait til Dec 18th? Are art students really that busy until then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

If it has been taken over by new owners, then why hold a demo outside? That would just hamper the new owners, loose business and people's jobs. While this is hapening the previous owners and ones behind the dispute are off scott free. Just my thought from the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

matchthis wrote: »
    If it has been taken over by new owners, then why hold a demo outside? That would just hamper the new owners, loose business and people's jobs. While this is hapening the previous owners and ones behind the dispute are off scott free. Just my thought from the thread.

The one in Temple Bar has been bought by someone else recently. I presume the protest is outside the Thomas St cafe.

eth0_ wrote: »
    The one in Temple Bar has been bought by someone else recently. I presume the protest is outside the Thomas St cafe.
    If you look at you tube (slave labour ireland) it says 13.00 thomas st.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

eth0_ wrote: »
    Why wait til Dec 18th? Are art students really that busy until then?

First draft of the dreaded thesis, end of term assessments and so on...

Anybody that knows hasn't gone back in there, I'm pretty sure of that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

penexpers wrote: »
    It's incredibly unfair on Cafe Irie to be featured like this.

unfair my hole. yes, there are lots of people at it but the only way for the everyman to do anything about the situation is to vote with their feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 piccerella

I hear that a group of students from the national collage of art and design have not only decided to boycott cafe irie but have decided to hold a demonstration outside cafe irie 13.00 dec 18th on behalf of all students.

I am a student at NCAD. I don't know if that demonstration went ahead but word has gotten around the college about the way they mistreat staff. I know alot of students have stopped going there. Wouldn't set foot in the place again myself. disgusted.

Advertisement