Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Burnley Vs Young Guns

• 02-12-2008 7:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭

Didn't see a thread so taught i'd start one.
    Arsène Wenger rates Burnley so highly that he allowed one of his talented young Gunners to go out on loan there last season.

Arsenal’s youth system has developed a massive reputation in recent years, mainly through their Carling Cup exploits.

As a result there is always a huge clamour to take one of Wenger’s fledglings on loan once they have been eliminated from the competition.

Last term, Arsenal bowed out of the Carling Cup in the Semi-Finals at Tottenham in January. Later that month, Wenger allowed Mark Randall to join Burnley for the second half of the campaign.

The 18-year-old midfielder played 10 games under Owen Coyle and returns to Turf Moor tonight as Arsenal attempt to at least match last season’s achievements in this competition.

Wenger argues Randall has improved massively since (and because of) his period in Lancashire. He may not have the profile of players like 16-year-old prodigy Jack Wilshere, but, according to Wenger, he has comparable talent.

“Yes he has,” said the manager. “He has as much as Jack Wilshere. I think he is a little bit more of a late developer but he is exceptional.

“One thing I have learned in my career is that those who keep going, no matter what is said of them, will make a career. You may see in the newspapers that a guy is not in the first XI of the season but, if until October that guy still works hard every day, in November he is in the first XI.

“Mental strength and daily motivation is more important than what people say about you.

“I am impressed with the progress Mark Randall has made. He has made a fantastic step forward recently and I am sure we will see that again in this game.”

Wenger has kept to his usual Carling Cup policies for a tricky looking tie this evening. His 18-man squad includes the entire bench from the previous Premier League tie plus a smattering of the most talented youngsters. Mikael Silvestre will be the only really experienced head on show however, in fairness, Nicklas Bendtner, Carlos Vela and Lukasz Fabianski are all full internationals on the fringe of the first-team. Wenger has vowed to stick with the same midfield – which means another start for Randall – while Paul Rodgers and Gavin Hoyte are expected to fill the vacant roles at right back and centre back. Both players are versatile and therefore could take either position.

Arsenal have recent history at Burnley having won 2-0 at Turf Moor in the FA Cup Third Round at the start of the year. Eduardo scored early and Bendtner late as Arsène Wenger’s side secured passage to the next round – but it was never that comfortable. Coyle’s side have kicked on this season and come into this encounter in a handy fourth place.

“Yes, we came out of the match happy that we had scored first because they gave us a real game,” said the Frenchman. “You could see that there was quality in the team. They are in a good position in the Championship and they have had some big scalps in the Carling Cup. They have kicked out Fulham and Chelsea so this is a big test.

“We know we can beat anybody at the Emirates Stadium,” concluded Wenger. “I believe we can do it away as well. That is what we want to show in this game.”

Having excelled at their homework, Wenger's students have a tough task in their first educational excursion in the Carling Cup.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

This is going to be a tough one tonight. Burnely are a good footballing side and Turf Moor is a seriously hostile environment that could definitely put the youngsters off.
    I would be delighted with a win tonight, but not really expecting it as I was with the other games...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Arsenal team:

Fabianski, Gibbs, Silvestre, Rodgers, Hoyte, Merida, Randall, Ramsey, Wilshere, Vela, Bendtner.

Surprised to see Rodgers in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Ah bollocks looks like Ramsey got injured or something cos Denilson appears to be there instead of him now

Ah, cock. That's a blow, Ramsey has been brilliant in the CC so far.

According to the beeb that's balls, Ramsey is starting after all.

1925: Woah, woah, woah. Looks like we owe you an apology already - there was a mistake in the Arsenal team news we were sent by the Press Association, and, as many of you have pointed out, Aaron Ramsey does indeed start instead of Denilson. Sorry about that.

• Advertisement

thats excellent news then

hahahaha, Capital Punishment III! quick change the thread title:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Even as a United fan, I will really enjoy watching this especially to see Wilshere, Ramsey and Vela.

Japers. Was scared there for a second..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Highly rated midfielder Chris McCann off Burnley for us Irish to keep an eye on.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Highly rated midfielder Chris McCann off Burnley for us Irish to keep an eye on.

Attack or defense minded?

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »
    Attack or defense minded?
    Energetic, box to box type. Probably best with a holding midfielder beside him giving him the freedom to get about but doesn't rely on one. Certainly Trap's type of player though.

Energetic, box to box type. Probably best with a holding midfielder beside him giving him the freedom to get about but doesn't rely on one. Certainly Trap's type of player though.

That's what I was wondering about.
    Ih he was attack minded there would have been little point watching him... :p

Feck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Goal.................... Burnley 1 up

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Bugger, will be interesting to see how the kids respond now.

Interesting to see how Paul Rodgers plays, nice to see another English kid coming through.

For the love of God Bendtner. Not interested in scoring tonight?

Why do we keep lumping the ball up to Vela for him to flick on to Bendtner?
    It's like we're in opposite land or something.
    If we could do it the other way around it would be fantastic as Vela can finish...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Two glorious chances for Bendtner, dreadful misses.

Fabianski is killing me here...

You'd hardly know he was playing if you're going by the main commentator who mustn't be able to pronounce McCann. He's made 4 or 5 excellent runs forward with the ball. Final pass there should have been better but kept possession well so far.

• Advertisement

You'd hardly know he was playing if you're going by the main commentator who mustn't be able to pronounce McCann. He's made 4 or 5 excellent runs forward with the ball at his feet. Looks a good footballer.

If he had have stuck a foot on that cross it was a goal.
    Don't know what he was trying...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

This on the telly?

Sky Sports 1

Burnley in control now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,129 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Great flick from Bendtner but a very poor finish 1 on 1 from Randall

Arsenal fluff another chance. Should be 3-1 to them. Doesn't look to be their night.

It's annoying our 1-on-1's have fallen to Bendtner and Randall.
    One to Vela please? 40 minutes have gone and he still hasnt chipped the keeper... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Arsenal will still win this match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,101 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Oooh, another good chance, and another decent save.

Vela could have probably taken another touch bringing the ball left, taking him away from the defender and around the keeper to leave an open goal

• Advertisement

Even Vela misses!
    Get that keeper a medal!

Vela clean through again there. He probably could've finished better but Nelson(sp?) looks to be having a good night and it was some great work by Vela to even get in a shooting position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Burnley keeper had his fry up this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Fabianski looks even more unpredictable than Manuel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

anyone else see what looked like an intentional boot into vela after he missed that chance?

Burnley keeper had his fry up this morning.

A fry up filled with speed or something...
    anyone else see what looked like an intentional boot into vela after he missed that chance?

Can't say I did, will look out for it at half time

• Advertisement

I've sky+ and just rewinded it there and there was a definite deliberate small stamp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Q2002 wrote: »
    I've sky+ and just rewinded it there and there was a definite deliberate small stamp.

yeah it didnt look like too much, good to see Vela made nothing of it,

but still uncalled for,

sky plus has its benefits :)

To be honest I think we can be fairly happy with that half.
    If it wasn't for some quality goalkeeping on their part, and a moment of poor goalkeeping from us, we would be 3 or 4 up.

Give it to 60 minutes before bringing Simpson on for Vela or Bendtner.

Bendtner is embarassing. Vela playing poorly enough too. Some lovely football in midfield though.

In fairness Bendtner has set up two excellent chances with his flick ons. Like Frisbee i was convinced that if one of the chances fell to Vela he'd score, hopefully he can get another for one of his trademark lobs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Ramsey and Wilshere should start belting in a few from outside the box. Burnleys keeper is handy on the ground but I'd say he jumps like an elephant.

I think he might be half cut too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I've been fairly impressed with Burnley, they can fairly play! Our finishing has been bad, but if we continue as we have, we should be OK.

Bendtner looks like he is bored there, as if he is somehow above it. I know he has been having a few decent games for the first team but he really should be seeing this as an opportunity to prove a point and a chance to get a few goals towards his end of season tally.

I've only seen the last few minutes of the match there as I didn't realise it was on TV, but I am getting more and more disappointed in Merida the more I see him. I know he has qualities but he really needs to learn how to use them properly. Maybe instead of loaning him to Spain AW should've given him a season in League 2 to toughen him up a bit and teach him when and where is appropriate for them little flicks he is attempting.

Q2002 wrote: »
    Bendtner looks like he is bored there, as if he is somehow above it. I know he has been having a few decent games for the first team but he really should be seeing this as an opportunity to prove a point and a chance to get a few goals towards his end of season tally.

I've only seen the last few minutes of the match there as I didn't realise it was on TV, but I am getting more and more disappointed in Merida the more I see him. I know he has qualities but he really needs to learn how to use them properly. Maybe instead of loaning him to Spain AW should've given him a season in League 2 to toughen him up a bit and teach him when and where is appropriate for them little flicks he is attempting.

+1 to everything you just said

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Young guns (go for it).... Maybe I'm too old :(

Lansbury on for Rodgers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,101 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

that would've been a hilarious goal.

I'd like to see Bischoff or Coquelin on for Randall at some stage aswell. Sooner rather than later preferably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Frisbee wrote: »
    Lansbury

26gree.xlarge1.jpg

FFS MERIDA!

Tonight is not our night...

• Advertisement
Advertisement